X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Samurai exist in the modern day?

I am new to this forum and for the past couple of weeks I have spent time reading the different ideas from people and their views on Bushido.

I was disapointed to one day read that someone wrote that "You can not be Samurai anymore" It was not the words that dissapointed me it was the fact that it was stated to someone else. In my view no one has this right, for this is just another form of control, it is indocternation.
    It was what the film the matrix was all about.

When I was a young boy training at about the age of nine I once asked my Master, When do you become a warrior?
    His reply was said with a stern tone, "When you start acting like one"

So you see it is my beleif that it is an internal experience, It may be an act of disapline but it can be achieved.

I am not dissolutioned I do not believe that you can walk about the common street wearing your sword by your side. Things change things always change
    and this is no longer possible. But acting and conducting yourself in a respectful and honurable manner is still within our grasp.

How could this be wrong?

The question of is it possible to be samurai in the modern day is not important, it is all a matter of perception.

Would you settle for being Ashigaru ?

Comment

Originally posted by kusunoki
      I am not dissolutioned I do not believe that you can walk about the common street wearing your sword by your side. Things change things always change
      and this is no longer possible. But acting and conducting yourself in a respectful and honurable manner is still within our grasp.

How could this be wrong?

The question of is it possible to be samurai in the modern day is not important, it is all a matter of perception.
      Ah, you misunderstand. No, you (and I mean nobody else either) cannot become a samurai. It's a noble's title that was abolished over a hundred years ago. No one has a daimyo to serve, a han to look after. But there's nothing wrong with being an honourable and respectful person. One does not have to be a samurai to be a warrior, practise martial arts like kendo or try to make themselves better inside and out.

Follow the principles of Budo? Refine your mind and body to be the best person you can possibly be through martial arts? By all means, go for it. Most of us here are trying to do the same thing.

There's a nice essay on Budo philosophy right here. If you want more information on the subject, please don't hesitate to ask and someone here will provide you with more information.

Comment

In my opinion, being a samurai as far as society or social ranking is concerned, is (like raiza said) not possible anymore. However, although the era of the samurai ended over 100 years ago, their philosophy still exists and I totally agree with all of you, if you say Bushido and the other principles of Budo haven't disappeared.
        As for myself, I try to honour the mentality of the ancient samurai and someway try to live after their rules, but of course it doesn't always work: sometimes because the world and people too have changed, sometimes because I'm not really persistent and strong enough to always strive for the best without having doubts and questionning myself and what I'm doing. But I'm working hard on this aspect
        Kendo seems to help me a great deal, and I'm always trying to get better and stronger in order to honour this fascinating sport, but also in order to get to know myself a lot better And at least I try to be sincere and to help people who need me as often as I can. It's not easy, but I think it's worth the effort

Ganbatte kudasai nozomi to yume o genjitsu ni suru tame ni!

Comment

samurai do not exist. period.

Comment

The Concept of Kendo:

The concept of Kendo is to discipline the human character through the application of the principles of the Katana (sword).

================================================== ========

The purpose of practicing Kendo is:

To mold the mind and body,

To cultivate a vigorous spirit,

And through correct and rigid training,

To strive for improvement in the art of Kendo,

To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor,

To associate with others with sincerity,

And to forever pursue the cultivation of oneself.

This will make one be able:

To love his/her country and society,

To contribute to the development of culture

And to promote peace and prosperity among all peoples.

("The Concept of Kendo" was established by All Japan Kendo Federation in 1975.)

================================================== ========

Forget about samurai, it's an abolished title. Do things wih commitment and you will go far.

Comment

hey shiro we meet again , in another OMG what a crap thread , lol

"When I was a young boy training at about the age of nine I once asked my Master, When do you become a warrior?"

What Dojo do u go to ? what art ? "wardo" ? , if i asked my sensei when i become a warrior , he would just look at me strangly and walk away , id prob be banned for life .

"acting and conducting yourself in a respectful and honurable manner is still within our grasp. "

Since when do u have to be a samurai to be a nice guy ? , u dont need to follow the bushido so u can be a nice guy , it would be like , I wanna move to france and become frensh so i can be a nice guy , cant u just be yourself and be a nice guy ? catch my drift ?

You ppl are all nuts !

Khabbi

Comment

You could only be born a samurai even back in the era when they existed. It is but a name. You could be everything a samurai ever was but you just can't go by that name. The name may not exist but the spirit of samurai lives on in any who would want it. Keep the concept of honour alive. Its a dying thing and something many take for granted. Live by the sword and die by the sword. Die a good death. Be a good and honest person. The samurai all died but their spirit is eternal so we can learn from them and remember the old ways.

Comment

Originally posted by kundalini
                  You could only be born a samurai even back in the era when they existed.
                  Hmm - think that is not historically correct - being born into the samurai class was basically the only way to enter it only for the 260 odd year period it existed, after Hideyoshi froze social mobility shortly before 1600 AD and seperated the warrior class from the farmers. Before then controlling a bit of paddy land sufficient to have tennants was enough to get you into the bottom end of the bushi and military prowess could take you further.

However once the the samurai class was a legally defined entity it could be abolished by administrative fiat and there are no more samurai.

Aden (who yesterday in his university history final incorrectly identified a clause from the Chokosabe daimyo law code as being from the Tokugawa so he knows he is often incorrect!)

Comment

OT

Gentlemen,

Seems we are a bit off topic here. Interesting discussion, but more in line with Lounge rather than Iaido.

Comment

Move it =) or even better delet the hole thread =) \o/ =)
                      was a BS thread anyway

Khabbi

Comment

Originally posted by Khabbi
                        Move it =) or even better delet the hole thread =) \o/ =)
                        was a BS thread anyway

Khabbi
                        You definitely don't like this kind of threads.......

Comment

what tipped u off Shiro ?? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Khabbi
                            what tipped u off Shiro ?? lol
                            Just a hunch......

Actually, it's rather curious the wannabe-samurai threads are so active during the The Last Samurai period, don't you think?

Nice signature, btw. I love that bookk!

Comment

Thanx Shiro , Found a Terry Pratchett quote page , couldent stop laughin . Im gonna have to re-read all his Discworld books , they are pure gold.

When "Top Gun" came out , the US Navy and Air Force had like a 80% more applicants for flight school or somthing , Guess Tom Cruis (sp ?) wants a 80% increse in Samurai wannabes

Comment

Working...
                              X