X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword Drawing question (nukitsuke)

Hello i'm new to iaido and i was hoping if someone could help me with a question. I'm about to by an iaito and was wandering about something. At the end of the draw when your arm is out the farthest before turning outward, is the tip of the blade out of the saya or should it be still in. I ask this because i'm not sure what lenght to get i did the measurement test at swordstore.com and it said for the blade to be the longest they make 29' and that length feels a little long for me. if anyone could help thanks.

I learned to determine the appropriate length of a Katana for you is when you hold the Katana with your right hand and point the sword downward close to your toe, the point should be very close to the ground but not touching the ground. Then it'll be a good length and comfortable for you to draw your sword foward and clear the tip from the opening of your saya before turning out.

A 28 inch blade is the appropriate length of a Katana for me.

Comment

You should consult your sensei about the right blade-length.

Comment

Mantra: Ask Your Instructor.

Originally posted by morbidbattlecry
        Hello i'm new to iaido and i was hoping if someone could help me with a question. I'm about to by an iaito and was wandering about something. At the end of the draw when your arm is out the farthest before turning outward, is the tip of the blade out of the saya or should it be still in. I ask this because i'm not sure what lenght to get i did the measurement test at swordstore.com and it said for the blade to be the longest they make 29' and that length feels a little long for me. if anyone could help thanks.
        I take it you mean 29" and not 29' . But seriously, ask your instructor because the preferred length is a function of the sword style.

If you are doing ZNKR Iaido, the Kissaki is still in the Saya when just drawing with the right hand (not moving the Saya). When you add the left-hand motion of Saya-biki, you pull the Saya back and off of the Kissaki. If, when you do Saya-biki, the Kissaki is not exposed, then the sword is too long.

How long a sword you can draw is a function of arm length, torso height and waist width. You get the sword to match your body specs. Any table or rule-of-thumb measurements are just guidelines and not gospel.

FWIW, I use a 2.75 Shaku (32.81") long blade.

If you cannot get your instructor to size you, then see if you can try drawing with those Iaito of your dojo-mates. This should give you an idea of a "proper" length as long as you do the drawing properly.

HTH.
        Last edited by R A Sosnowski; 5th February 2004, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
          I take it you mean 29" and not 29' . But seriously, ask your instructor because the preferred length is a function of the sword style.

If you are doing ZNKR Iaido, the Kissaki is still in the Saya when just drawing with the right hand (not moving the Saya). When you add the left-hand motion of Saya-biki, you pull the Saya back and off of the Kissaki. If, when you do Saya-biki, the Kissaki is not exposed, then the sword is too long.

How long a sword you can draw is a function of arm length, torso height and waist width. You get the sword to match your body specs. Any table or rule-of-thumb measurements are just guidelines and not gospel.

FWIW, I use a 2.75 Shaku (32.81") long blade.

If you cannot get your instructor to size you, then see if you can try drawing with those Iaito of your dojo-mates. This should give you an idea of a "proper" length as long as you do the drawing properly.

HTH.
          Thank you all, i'm inbetween instructers at the moment i just moved and have yet to find another. Which is why i asked.

Comment

Interesting that waist size affects blade length. I've tried to work it out, but can't visualise the geomoetry...does a bigger waist equal longer or shorter blade?

How great is the effect? If I'm losing waist inches, should I not buy an iaito until my size stabilises? I'm losing about an inche every couple of months, and have about another eight inches to loose...

Comment

Originally posted by plewis66
              Interesting that waist size affects blade length. I've tried to work it out, but can't visualise the geomoetry...does a bigger waist equal longer or shorter blade?

How great is the effect? If I'm losing waist inches, should I not buy an iaito until my size stabilises? I'm losing about an inche every couple of months, and have about another eight inches to loose...
              Not waist size per se, but the breadth of the hips as the draw comes from the left hip. The effect is minor compared to the length of the arms.

Comment

I'm a big guy (about 260 lbs, large waist 6'1") and the recomended lenght for me least online is 30" but 29 " slightly hurts my arms.

Comment

Simple answer

the blade should be just out of the saya if the bade is to long you will bend fowards and you do not want to be doing. there is a good site to go to (not mine) for info
                  if you want to find out more contact a chap named Brian Morrision who is the
                  Kachio of Eikoku Roshukai he is based in the midlands.
                  regards 893
                  http://www.seirokan.inuk.com

Comment

QUOTE] large waist 6'1")[/QUOTE] at 73" thats one big waist... and I worry about mine being 40"...
                    Waist size does have a hidden effect you may not think of in that the saya needs to move more in order to go from the center of the stomach to the farthest point back on the hip. the bigger the stomach, the greater the distance of travel. Its great for noto as it emphasises the left hand very well, lose the inches and keep the movement and you'll be even better!
                    Hmm... reminds me to go on a diet now I've got the movement...

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan
                      QUOTE] large waist 6'1")
                      at 73" thats one big waist... and I worry about mine being 40"...
                      Waist size does have a hidden effect you may not think of in that the saya needs to move more in order to go from the center of the stomach to the farthest point back on the hip. the bigger the stomach, the greater the distance of travel. Its great for noto as it emphasises the left hand very well, lose the inches and keep the movement and you'll be even better!
                      Hmm... reminds me to go on a diet now I've got the movement... [/QUOTE]

try the famous see food diet. I have lost 6 pounds this year, harder practise, less beer and no eating in the evenings. 15 more, and I will be satisfied. 38" is to much for me. i am aiming for 34". I wish i had more time for kendo, I have focused a lot and iai and jo the last six months, and it does not burn enough calories. luckily, the bicycle season is just around the corner. My dark green klein is just aching to get some heavy mileage.

I am so happy with my 2.45 shaku iaito. I can do nukitsuke and noto quite comfortable with a 2.65 without twisting the hips too much or leaning forward, but I think its hard to get sharp and soft cuts with big tools. I have been rebuilding my noto for a couple of weeks since our last seminar, and work hard to build up confidence for this years grading. keiko keiko

I think it is only trough practise, trial and error that you find the sword that is correct for you, seeking guidance on the net from people who have never seen you can be unreliable. if you still are inbetween instructors, wait until you have established "new ground", and ask the instructors advice. if you are comfy with 29" sword, go for it. that should be roughly 2.45 shaku, according to:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Script.htm

Comment

My dark green klein is just aching to get some heavy mileage.
                        ...I'm not quite sure what to make of that, is it some weird scandinavian thing?
                        I'm already on a see food diet, thats the problem...see chocolate, eat it. Think I need to increase the kendo time a little, that should keep me away from the stuff. Thinking about it, I just need to go and get a Mars bar... back shortly....

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan
                          ...I'm not quite sure what to make of that, is it some weird scandinavian thing?

I'm already on a see food diet, thats the problem...see chocolate, eat it. Think I need to increase the kendo time a little, that should keep me away from the stuff. Thinking about it, I just need to go and get a Mars bar... back shortly....

not very weird, hahaha
                          klein is an american highend bicycle brand, making strong lightweight racers and mountain bikes.

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/road_bi...a_v/index.html

Comment

woops

Um i believe there has been a slight misunderstanding or communication on my part.... umm 6'1" would be how tall i am... Woops. My waist is somewhere around 42 inches. But i do have a gut which is why i asked to begin with. Sorry

Comment

the misunderstanding was quite deliberate on my part...
                              And I thought klein might be something the scandinavians did when the sun went down for six months...

Comment

Working...
                              X