Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good material for hakama?

Hello!
    What are your preferences in hakama materials and why?

Originally posted by happogiri
    Hello!
    What are your preferences in hakama materials and why?
    I like cotton. It is the traditional choice, looks nice, and flows gracefully .
    I understand many people like the synthetic ones due to the ease of care though....

p.s. this is from a kendoka's perspective.
    Last edited by steliosk; 14th February 2004, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Hmm, whats the difference between kendo hakama and iaido hakama?

btw, hows the color lasting in cotton hakama? Or like Musashi, you don't wash...

Comment

I like the clear plastic, it is waterproof and I don't have to worry about fading

Comment

Originally posted by LNGUYEN
          I like the clear plastic, it is waterproof and I don't have to worry about fading
          lol I better not comment on this. Suffice to say that for the proponents of "freedom kendo" a clear plastic hakama would be quite the accessory!

As far as colour-fastness well, it does fade. Depends on the quality from what I know, plus you do not need to wash the hakama that often - at least for kendo, we do not sit in seiza that much. The gi, on the other hand, often gets sweaty and could be washed a little more often. I have washed my hakama a few times, mostly when I first got it to decrease the smurf effect.

Comment

clear plastic hakama

I actually found a clear found a clear plastic hakama in an adult shop in Tokyo and bought it for my girlfriend. Naginata never looked so good.

Steliosk read your messages! Are you going to the Naginata seminar? Ah, You are going to the Naginata seminar!!!

Comment

cotton ones ok for kendo but are useless for iaido, mine has gone white on the knees within a few weeks, even after fixing the dye. I should know better as Ive had plenty of hakama over the years. the raw silk ones are nice for demos, gradings etc, and the manmade fibre types are great for usual daily practise. Ive had one for three years that shows no wear at all and that really gets hammered.

Comment

Ok, so stick with the rayon-polyester

Thank You!

Comment

I have 7 pairs of Hakamas
                  cotton or made fibres they are all the same.......... a pig to iron

Any tips on ironing them ...and dont say get the wife / girlfriend to do em tryed that
                  come on Tim you must have some top tips.....

Comment

I try not to iron mine, but I had to a couple times. What you do is is take a iron with the steam function on it and turn the steam as high as it can go. Now adjust the temperature to medium-high and iron that way. When your about to iron a pleat or smooth out wrinkles though, wait for the steam to start going before you put the iron on the hakama or else you get scorched material- and thats not good. one other thing, dont leave the iron in one place too long-lol

Comment

Hakama

Hi, Can anyone tell me the difference between Iaido hakama and Kendo hakama interms of style or cut?-Thanks.

Comment

Hakama or not to Hakama

Originally posted by Jamie
                        Hi, Can anyone tell me the difference between Iaido hakama and Kendo hakama interms of style or cut?-Thanks.
                        Dude as faw as I know ther is not a deal of difference I use both had not trouble with either....... fingerless

Comment

how to iron cotton hakama.
                          1. clean a piece of wooden flooring big enough to lay hakama on, ironing boards are too small.
                          2. pull all the pleats straight, taking care that the middle one inside the hakama is folded over properly to one side.
                          3. get someone to hold it while stretching it slightly and use a steam iron immediately on the pleats
                          4. turn it over, make sure the pleats are straight and do ironing again.
                          5. Either hang on a coathanger using clothespegs, fold it neatly, or roll it up like you usually do and throw it in your kit bag...

or alternatively buy acrylic stay press type in future.

Comment

Sugee!

You could always get one of those nice synthetic material Hakama with the pleats sewn in...LOL....

Comment

One more tip.

Originally posted by chidokan
                              how to iron cotton hakama.
                              1. clean a piece of wooden flooring big enough to lay hakama on, ironing boards are too small.
                              2. pull all the pleats straight, taking care that the middle one inside the hakama is folded over properly to one side.
                              3. get someone to hold it while stretching it slightly and use a steam iron immediately on the pleats
                              4. turn it over, make sure the pleats are straight and do ironing again.
                              5. Either hang on a coathanger using clothespegs, fold it neatly, or roll it up like you usually do and throw it in your kit bag...

or alternatively buy acrylic stay press type in future.
                              Initially turn the Hakama inside out, and press those pleats first, and the reverse the garment back to its original state, and press those pleats.

Comment

Working...
                              X