X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiza and combat question

I recently read that samuria didn't even wear katana in while seated in seiza yet half of iaido is done in this position can anyone clarify this for me? is the information i read wrong? if its not whats the point of teaching something in such great detail if it has a rarity of ever happening in real combat? i know its very good exercise for you is that maybe the reason it was included? and my other question is and forgive me for asking but is iaido an affective fighting art with the sword? would it really work in a combat situation? i do know its kata are taken from earlier forms and kenjutsu which as far as i know where very affective in what they did. this stuff has really burned a hole in my mind for a while. The reason i ask as well is because i know iaido is good for the mind and body but i also love swords and would like to learn a traditional art of it.

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=18536

note: lengthy

Comment

beat me to it Mingshi , by 10 seconds lol

Comment

Originally posted by morbidbattlecry
        I recently read that samuria didn't even wear katana in while seated in seiza yet half of iaido is done in this position can anyone clarify this for me? is the information i read wrong? if its not whats the point of teaching something in such great detail if it has a rarity of ever happening in real combat? i know its very good exercise for you is that maybe the reason it was included? and my other question is and forgive me for asking but is iaido an affective fighting art with the sword? would it really work in a combat situation? i do know its kata are taken from earlier forms and kenjutsu which as far as i know where very affective in what they did. this stuff has really burned a hole in my mind for a while. The reason i ask as well is because i know iaido is good for the mind and body but i also love swords and would like to learn a traditional art of it.
        1. People don't only sit in a house. They also get attacked while not in combat. Read more. Logical.

2. If you wan't to learn to kill, buy a gun and stard to shoot. It's the most effective way. If you want to learn a traditional sword art, start kenjutsu.

Comment

Aside from seiza being used in Iaido training for accurate technique, mechanics, and strength purposes, I was told that when it became illegal to wear a Katana in public in the late 1800s, practicing the sword from seiza was a way that they could still practice inside the home because it was not illegal to own one but had to keep it in the house.

Comment

Thanks all except one person who diminishes all people to pratice martial arts. i know the seiza question proble gets asked a constently but i had to know.

Comment

Working...
            X