X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying Hakama And Obi

Does anyone know of any good sites that show the right way to tie obi and hakama for Iai? I've only done one lesson of Iai but it is so embarresing to have to get help to dress you. Tying the hakama is so complicated it would probably take me over a month to learn it. But if I had something I could use to practice it at home I could just keep doing it untill I get it right. There was another thread on tying obi on here but I didn't find the sites that much help. Thankyou.

Navigate through these pages http://kimonoo.net/kituke.html They are in Japanese but if you use babelfish at altavista you can translate them into English, however the pictures are easy to follow.

For obi I recommend this one

http://kimonoo.net/kata1.html

as for the Hakama

http://kimonoo.net/ham-1.html

Have fun!

Comment

Cheers mate. Little bit confusing but i'm sure i'll work them out. Thankies.

Comment

found a good site for you.

yeah im new to and had no idea how to tie the thing, had it back to frount and everything, not a good a good look, http://www.aikidofaq.com/bilder/haka...ama_tying.html

i went to this site and i found after giving it a go a few times it was all good, just need to make sure everything sits flat and you will be flying

Comment

Trust me, even after you learn the proper way of tying, it'll take you about a year to learn how tight to tie everything. I was having to retie everything in the middle of class.

Comment

Originally posted by leroy View Post
            yeah im new to and had no idea how to tie the thing, had it back to frount and everything, not a good a good look, http://www.aikidofaq.com/bilder/haka...ama_tying.html

i went to this site and i found after giving it a go a few times it was all good, just need to make sure everything sits flat and you will be flying
            That's not how I do it. In my experience that's not the correct way to wear hakama for iai, although it may be different for different styles.

It's better to ask your sempai how to do it. That way you know you'll be doing it in the right way for your style.

(But anyway... this thread is four years old).

Comment

interesting...I'm still learning, so I'll practice the methods above!

Comment

Originally posted by Oroshi View Post
                That's not how I do it. In my experience that's not the correct way to wear hakama for iai, although it may be different for different styles.

It's better to ask your sempai how to do it. That way you know you'll be doing it in the right way for your style.

ditto on all of the above....especially the four year thing.

Comment

As far as I know, that's not right for aikido, either, and I studied (briefly) at both of the mainstream styles here in the US.

Comment

i think kendo hakama is slightly simplified.

never the less this is very useful. thankyou for the post!

i am just learning how to wear hakama and will be practicing from the website!

Comment

thats pretty much how i tye mine actually
                      thopugh i just let the back drop as opposed to tying it round my chest

i find that as a lady certain lady bits get in the way if i tye it any other way
                      and this is the way i was first shown

there are many acceptable ways of tying hakama
                      as long as it looks neat and stays done up whats the problem?

Comment

Here's my method for Hakama (I'm not claiming this is the only way, just that this is how I do it) :
                        1. step into hakama holding front in both hands (traditionally i was taught step in left foot first but never found out why)
                        2. pull the long front himo (cords), beginning above the obi, round to the back, cross them without twisting above the obi, bring them to the front, cross them again without twisting, this time below the obi, then tie them together in a knot at the back below the obi.
                        3. Pick up the back and position the koshi-ita (board) is placed over the not, above the obi and in the centre of your back. Some hakama have a small plastc tag on a chord, this should be pushed down inside the obi to help hold the koshi-ita in its correct position,
                        4. Bring the rear himo to the front, and slightly diagonally downwards to tie in a reef knot below the obi, pulling fairly tight compared to the previous chords. When you tie this knot catch the previously tied chords in the knot. This way you are less likely to have everything come apart during training.
                        5. for general training tuck the loose pieces of himo in around the sides. For special training and embu there is a special bow for this purpose.

This should get you started. However, if your teacher prefers a different method, follow his/her method.

Comment

aye same here
                          though i do my front half all above the obi knot so it doesnt fall down
                          and the back strap i do on the same level as the crossover part as opposed to below, as its more comfortable for me that way

oh and i always do a bow as it looks pretty

Comment

Originally posted by rottunpunk View Post
                            aye same here
                            though i do my front half all above the obi knot so it doesnt fall down
                            and the back strap i do on the same level as the crossover part as opposed to below, as its more comfortable for me that way

oh and i always do a bow as it looks pretty
                            Nige tried that when he first got his hakama. Needless to say he doesn't do that anymore!

Wonder if the guy who asked the question four years ago ever did manage to work out how to tie everything together?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter West View Post
                              1. step into hakama holding front in both hands (traditionally i was taught step in left foot first but never found out why)
                              Left first is the general rule in Japanese culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X