Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iaito

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iaito

    Hello,
    I will be in the market for a new Iaito soon and wanted to gauge peoples thoughts about Iaito from both Tozando and Nine Circles. I would like to spend about 400-ish(Sterling). I have used Nine Circles for kit previously and think they are excellent but just wanted to know if people rate Tozando over them for Iaito?
    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jamie
    Hello,
    I will be in the market for a new Iaito soon and wanted to gauge peoples thoughts about Iaito from both Tozando and Nine Circles. I would like to spend about 400-ish(Sterling). I have used Nine Circles for kit previously and think they are excellent but just wanted to know if people rate Tozando over them for Iaito?
    Thanks in advance.
    For that kind of price range, you should definitely check out swordstore.com. I got mine from swordstore.com after doing fairly extensive research on selecting an iaito retailers (Tozando included). Very satisfied.

    Comment


    • #3
      Personally I think Ninecircles are a bit expensive. Its usually cheaper to get an Iaito from a really good forge in Japan than it is from there. But I haven't heard any complaints about the quality of their stuff.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kundalini
        Personally I think Ninecircles are a bit expensive. Its usually cheaper to get an Iaito from a really good forge in Japan than it is from there. But I haven't heard any complaints about the quality of their stuff.
        if you compare a well known iaito like higo koshirae
        nine circles charge 225 gbp, I think they ship for free?

        while tozando charge 37500, 186,113 gbp
        then comes shipping, minimum 19 gbp
        handling 2.4 gbp
        adds up to about 207gbp
        then its taxes, how much is that in GB? we have 24%, maybe you have less? With only 20% tax, you end up with about 250 gbp in total

        tozando is slightly cheaper in the store, but if you add taxes, handling and shipping,it is 25gbp cheaper to buy from nine circles.

        Comment


        • #5
          I had the opportunity to have a good look at a few Iaito last week. I had asked Sensei when it would be good for me to start using one, and he said 'Now!'. Then at the end of the class, in the line, he mentioned that a couple of beginners were interested in Iaito, so could a couple of people make theirs available to view. Which they did.

          Sensei actually recommended ninecircles, and I have to say that the 'Higo' range sword that I saw was very nice indeed. At 440DBPish, yuo are probably looking at the same ones as me (the Tokujo range). And I'm guessing they will be a bit nicer than the Higo, which I would be pleased to own anyway!

          I'm probably going to get an Iaito in the next few weeks, and if I do, it will probably be from the Tokujo range. If I get mine before you get yuors, I'll let you know what I think of it!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by roar
            if you compare a well known iaito like higo koshirae
            nine circles charge 225 gbp, I think they ship for free?

            while tozando charge 37500, 186,113 gbp
            then comes shipping, minimum 19 gbp
            handling 2.4 gbp
            adds up to about 207gbp
            then its taxes, how much is that in GB? we have 24%, maybe you have less? With only 20% tax, you end up with about 250 gbp in total

            tozando is slightly cheaper in the store, but if you add taxes, handling and shipping,it is 25gbp cheaper to buy from nine circles.
            Ninecircles charge postage. UK tax is 17.5%. The prices on Ninecircles don't include tax untill you run it through the checkout. And when I talked about ordering from Japan I didn't mean Tozando. My Sensai seems to be able to order through Iwata Sensai from what I can tell and gets a good discount and a much better quality sword.

            At the end of the day you are not going to be able to try any of them out before hand so you never know what you are gonna get. You just gotta balance how much you want to spend, how nice fittings you want and how good quality a blade you would like. You're probably not gonna go too far wrong no matter what you choose.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kundalini
              Ninecircles charge postage. UK tax is 17.5%. The prices on Ninecircles don't include tax untill you run it through the checkout. And when I talked about ordering from Japan I didn't mean Tozando. My Sensai seems to be able to order through Iwata Sensai from what I can tell and gets a good discount and a much better quality sword.

              At the end of the day you are not going to be able to try any of them out before hand so you never know what you are gonna get. You just gotta balance how much you want to spend, how nice fittings you want and how good quality a blade you would like. You're probably not gonna go too far wrong no matter what you choose.

              I have also bought iaito trough my teacher, and paid 60% of the price that this sword is sold for on the net. And I was able to try the sword before buying. Private purchases is hardly representative in a comparison between prices.

              Comment


              • #8
                New Sword

                I have just received my new Higo Koshirae from Japan (Tozando) it worked out at 209 including postage. I could have paid more, but Its fine for Iaido and the blade is not too heavy.

                Most of the blades are the same on the average sword, and you are paying extra for the finishing bits like, like silk Tsuba etc.
                I liked the look of Swordstore but could not find the weight of the blades on the site, and that was important to me, as a blade too heavy to start with will make your arms ache.

                I find nine circles do not answer e-mails quickly enough for me, and it makes me feel they are very part time in the business? maybe I'm wrong. I expect they have to order the swords from Japan anyway.

                Tozando are poor when it comes to delivery, and I had to wait 22 days on a 8 to 10 day order for the Higo Koshirae, but it was worth it, with the Musashi Tsuba it looks the part and I would recommend it.

                Save the extra 200 and put it towards a folded blade for the future, so once your good enough you can do some real cutting. Good shopping!!

                HEIJO SHIN

                Comment


                • #9
                  Iaito

                  Thanks for all your views on this one. Anymore experience or thoughts on Iaito from suppliers would be good.
                  Cheers,
                  Jamie.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Heijo Shin-> 22 days is short time to get iaito!

                    Jamie-> In my dojo, lot of peoples are using Tozandos iaitos and they are generally good but the cheaper ones are a bit 'wobbly' sometimes (like the one I used). I think you still can't beat the price/quality of Tozando's iaitos?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      400 quid is a lot to pay for an iaito in my opinion....spend the money on an air ticket, go for some training, fit in a visit to a taikai, and buy a sword for 200 quid (ish). You get to choose from a large variety of fittings, colours and if you go with someone who knows what he is talking about, you also get a sword worth keeping for some time, as they will help make sure the sword is right for you as regards, weight and balance. In all a trip would cost you about 1200 including buying an iaito if you were not too careless on spending your money. It will also give you the Japan bug, once you go, you'll need to go again...and again...
                      Only problem is that the intensity of the training can put beginners off!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X