Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Storing Shinken safely

Hi folks,

any advice on storing a shinken with the possibility of a little on in the house?

I can lock the bedroom door, not sure how my wife will feel about that, but its an option.

We're in an interesting situation, where we'll be adopting, so we may be looking at a baby, or a three year old, or anything in between.
    Currently, I have an Iaito I store on a stand on top of a 5.5" high dresser. That will work until theyre a lot older, but then they'll be old enough to talk to about it.

Maybe the same for the shinken? Can it be tied shut to the Tsuba and locked somehow?

P.S. as for my previous post, I ended up ordering a lighter Iaito, from my steel model. I attended a 4 hour seminar, which was fantastic. I borrowed a club sword. Using mine would have really been painful!

Thanks,

Ryan

Not sure why you have a problem. Keep it in the silk bag inside a zippable leather shoulder bag and put it somewhere where it won't tempt anyone to play with it. Back of the wardrobe if you feel particularly paranoid.

Comment

Thanks,

I guess I'm debating leaving it on top of the dresser. I have a double katana stand, but I'm worried about it getting kicked over etc.. I might try and tie the tsuba up with the sageo when its on the rack.

Sorry if this thread was pointless.... I must be bored at work. Honestly, Im a bit concerned, and debating on selling the shinken. I just wanted to hear from others that had kids in the house and a Shinken stored somewhere.

Comment

If you worry about kids playing with it, why display it out on a stand? Keep it in bags and stow it away as West sensei said. If you must, get a fishing rod tube and lock it.

Comment

This is what I use to transport my shinken on planes. You can lock it.

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-Airline...6-00007b6acf7f

Or you could get a gun case with a lock.

Comment

I use a hard-shell gun case with locks. I originally got this as I had to travel with mine on a plane. Now that I have a kid I tend to lock up the sharps (shinken, throwing knives, etc.) all together in it.

Comment

I don't see the problem. I let my daughter who's 15 months old look at my swords all the time. She carries my kodachi bokuto around the house, and randomly says "cut" while doing kirioroshi with her hand. You have to start them young!

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
                This is what I use to transport my shinken on planes. You can lock it.

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-Airline...6-00007b6acf7f

Or you could get a gun case with a lock.
                Yup, many of us use this fishing rod case for travel. I cut down the inner tubes to save weight.

Comment

I don't doubt your concern about the shinken,
                  I had the same problem thinking of my zatochi my father gave me, I had it sitting on my desk, it was razor sharp and I was worried about my son getting the curious wonders and deciding the bamboo stick would be fun to play with, for the first few years he couldn't get up the stairs without our help so it wasn't a problem, but when he got older I just made sure that he understood that he was allowed to look at it as long as he asked me first and I made sure he never touched the blade, we never had a problem after that, I think when you restrict them looking and touching them they become curious,
                  When he was about 4 I gave him a bokken to play with, since then we'v never had a problem and now where looking into a Iaito for him,
                  If you really are concerned though (and I don't blame you) get a gunlocker, 200-300 dollars for a 4 gun fit. store what you wish in there.
                  or just keep it out of sight away from curious eyes, back of wardrobe in a leather bag or something that looks inconspicuos.

Thats my 4 pence

Comment

I think this has basically been covered but will add a little something else to to this.

- in a cloth bag in a sword case in a locked cupboard will keep out a toddler
                    - older than that I would suggest you show them the sword and explain it is sharp, will cut them if they touch it.
                    - when they are teenagers ( and know everything about everything in the universe !!!!) is the tricky bit as they will be tempted to show their mates "dad's samurai sword". I tried; threatening them with being written out of the will, smashing their teeth down their throats, being spoken to by the Police and turning pictures of them as babies into large posters and putting them up at their school. Not sure which one convinced them to leave the sword alone but it seemed to work.

Comment

When I was considering adoption and was awaiting a social worker's visit, I hid all my swords, knives, armour, 'artistic' literature and DVDs, but left out academic books, my copy of HMCS Sentencing Guidelines and a large black Bible (Christian). I greased my hair down and side parted it and that of my four cats and wore a shirt and tie at all times (even in bed) and drunk only Earl Gray tea with lemon. I asked any unsavory neighbours to stay indoors unless they had young kids who in which case should be encouraged to smile and play in the courtyard. I even installed a white picket fence and planted roses and hanging flower baskets.

Turned out I was too fat to adopt. Should've seen that one coming...damn those pizzas!

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro777 View Post
                        When I was considering adoption and was awaiting a social worker's visit, I hid all my swords, knives, armour, 'artistic' literature and DVDs, but left out academic books, my copy of HMCS Sentencing Guidelines and a large black Bible (Christian). I greased my hair down and side parted it and that of my four cats and wore a shirt and tie at all times (even in bed) and drunk only Earl Gray tea with lemon. I asked any unsavory neighbours to stay indoors unless they had young kids who in which case should be encouraged to smile and play in the courtyard. I even installed a white picket fence and planted roses and hanging flower baskets.

Turned out I was too fat to adopt. Should've seen that one coming...damn those pizzas!
                        Thanks for all the replies. That last post is bloody hilarious. I can totally relate! Its a funny process.

I'm actually returning the shinken. It was a piece of.....something or other. I've got the Iaito on display, But otherwise will look at one of the fishing rod tubes. Good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by satsumaruma View Post
                          when they are teenagers ( and know everything about everything in the universe !!!!) is the tricky bit as they will be tempted to show their mates "dad's samurai sword". I tried; threatening them with being written out of the will, smashing their teeth down their throats, being spoken to by the Police and turning pictures of them as babies into large posters and putting them up at their school. Not sure which one convinced them to leave the sword alone but it seemed to work.
                          Hmmm, may have to try some of these on jackson.....

Comment

Working...
                          X