X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakama Sabaki

I'm having some trouble with my Hakama getting caught under my feet at the very start and during some kata. For example, Inyo Shintai with its sonkyo halfway through. If I perform a big slap with my hands to clear the excess material then it's fine, but I'm led to believe that this is not really the done thing. I have been favouring a new more expensive hakama which although better cut for me, is made of a floppier material so I wonder if this has something to do with it. Also hakama do tend to drift southward during a session so could this be part of the problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yup, loud slapping is considered uncouth. If you time your hakama sabaki properly as you go down into seiza you should be able to "trap" the hakama in the right position behind your knees. Also, maybe try doing the sabaki deep enough, rather than a cursory tap-tap.

As for inyoshintai, getting the hakama trapped under your feet generally means you're lifting your foot up off the floor. Make sure you are sliding your foot along the floor with good ashi-sabaki.

Comment

I'll go with everything Halcyon says and add:
      Use some velcro on the front of the hakama and the obi or go to ensure the hakama doesn't slip down. (Many sensei do it!)
      The movement of the foot and timing of foot and body when you go back in Seitei Tsuka ate, Shoden Inyo Shintai and all Cheden and okuden kata is designed to clear the hakama. Basically it means that you haven't yet got the timing of this action (called hakama sass sabaki) quite right yet. Assuming also that your hakama isn't too long.

Generally when it slips it is the left side that slips worst, so the problem is more often felt in kata that use sass sabaki on the left side. This would explain why you have a problem in Inyoshintai and not in Tsuka ate.

Velcro. (and perhaps take some action to reduce the "overhang" that prevents the hakama himo sitting on the hip comfortably.)

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I'll try a deeper hakama sabaki, sliding my foot and Velcro (thank heavens for the Apollo moon shots). As for the over hang....that's a matter of time....

Comment

Oh, for the record, predictive text again: Hakama Sasso Sabaki

Comment

No wonder I couldn't google it!

Comment

Rather than a huge slap, try a bit of a scoop of the hand up and behind the knee, it lifts the hakama as much as a big slap but not so loud.

As for the overhang, that's to keep the obi from riding up the hips.

Kim.

Comment

Scooping...yes that works too.

I was paying attention to what was happening with my hakama in last nights training session and I think part of the problem is the material of my hakama is make of a slippery, silky, polyester so it tends to slip down, the effect augmented by my overhang. So I'll have get my hands on some Velcro to stop it happening or use my less posh hakama!

Comment

If you are doing seitei, hakama sabaki should be between or just above the ankles and your back should be straight and as near vertical as possible. This means that when you do hakama sabaki you should be able to bend your knee and trap the hakama behind your knee virtually instantly. If you can do that it should not be a problem even with a slippery hakama.

Comment

Of course Anil,

there is the other way of achieving this......

practice!

Keep trying things; watch what higher grades do when at class and at seminars and try and emulate them until it works for you.

Just a thought!

Comment

That's the hard way. Far easier to get someone else to do it for you, or change it so that it's easier to learn.

Comment

I guess I am just old fashioned and still want to do it right!!
                        sigh!!

Comment

I will start observing this more carefully. I think the focus is so much on the kata that the preparation for it takes a back seat until it starts having an effect upon the kata as it is for me!
                          Originally posted by Peter West View Post
                          That's the hard way. Far easier to get someone else to do it for you, or change it so that it's easier to learn.
                          You mean have a little man do the hakama sabaki for you? Where might one obtain such a little man? The world of the nanadan really is different from mere mortal's.

Comment

mortals', not mortal's

come on, attention to details...
                            Ignoring predictive text is acceptable, making mistakes is not!

Comment

....ahh, the lofty heights that nanadan's occupy.

So, attention to details then.

Mortals' - not "mortal's".
                              Come on; attention to details!
                              To ignore predictive text is acceptable, however, making mistakes is not.

Sorry, I thought I would play the part of Grumperious T. Bilious in his absence

Comment

Working...
                              X