Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTB can deal with it himself, I'm sure. He is not absent, just distant (from your perspective). Apart from that if he gets cheeky he know's I'll be on his case tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter West View Post
      mortals', not mortal's

come on, attention to details...
      Ignoring predictive text is acceptable, making mistakes is not!
      Sorry, I'm the product of the comprehensive system....

Comment

"comprehensive (educational) system" there's an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Comment

I am here!
          Where to start?

Originally posted by satsumaruma View Post
          ....ahh, the lofty heights that nanadan's occupy. [no apostrophe.... it is a plural]

So, attention to details then.

Mortals' - not "mortal's". [no apstophe required here.............]
          Come on; attention to details!
          To ignore predictive text is acceptable, however, making mistakes is not.

Sorry, I thought I would play the part of Grumperious T. Bilious in his absence
          GTB strikes again!

Comment

The apostrophe after the S in mortals is correct. The sentence indicates it should be a possessive. He was comparing the worlds belonging to nanadans and that of mortals.

The world of the nanadan really is different from mere mortals'.

Comment

Come on guys, if you're going to criticise my grammar, make sure you understand the grammar yourself...

Mortal (one)
              Mortals (more than one)
              Mortal's (belonging to one)
              Mortals' (belonging to more than one)

Comment

Come on guys, if you're going to criticise my grammar, make sure you understand the grammar yourself...

Mortal (one)
                Mortals (more than one)
                I think you'll find it's 'mortalz' iniit? Keep it real.....

Comment

F'cough

Comment

F'cough
                    too funny, coffee now on laptop! (must spread more rep)

Comment

OK, I seem to be able to perform hakama sabaki when settling into seiza although I have to be careful to avoid the little flourish I'm inclined to add to the beginning and I do worry about the amount of noise I make even when 'scooping'. It seems to be the fear of feeling the hem anywhere on the sole of my foot that makes me panic and I have to overcome that. I'm working on the my issue with Inyoshintai this afternoon and will let you know how I do.

Comment

I'm sure that hakama sabaki is the least of your worries in "your" inyoshintai!

Seriously, though, you are only mentioning inyoshintai - are you having similar problems with shohatto? How about gyakate inyoshintai? Is the hakama sabaki giving you problems in any of the seitei kata? If you are only having problems with one or two kata then maybe you shouldn't fixate on the hakama sabaki too much. And just practice, practice, practice until you work out what works for you.

Comment

Yes, when I say Inyoshintai.....it's something vaguely similar! I don't have similar problems with any other kata except for, perhaps, ukenagashi when practised at the end of a class when my hakama has migrated southwards. I had a private practise session on Thursday and a more careful scoop helped although the amount of noise I make worries me a bit but lowering into seiza never seems to cause an issue-I seem to have that sorted. I tried sliding my foot back when going back into sonkyo halfway through Intoshintai and it seems to do the trick. I've just taken delivery of my Velcro so I'm going to try using that to keep my hakama in place.

Yes practise, practise and practise some more.......

Comment

Mortal (one)
                            Mortals (more than one)
                            Mortal (being drunk in Newcastle)
                            Mortalled (was totally shitfaced in Newcastle)
                            Well mortalled (totally oblivious to the whole world whilst subject to the effects of alcohol in Newcastle)
                            Fucking mortal (so inebriated that one resorts to the use of the Eff word whilst drunk)

Comment

I've just taken delivery of my Velcro so I'm going to try using that to keep my hakama in place.
                              Just as an aside, you may wish to take stock of (or have your sensei appraise you of) your posture during class. Excessive bending at the waist will cause your hakama to migrate in a southernly direction, especially if you are carrying extra weight. I had one gentleman greatly reduce the amount of hakama migration he was fighting with through improved and more upright posture.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokoro777 View Post
                                ..... the fear of feeling the hem anywhere on the sole of my foot that makes me panic and I have to overcome that...
                                If the hakama is in contact with the sole of the foot prior to beginning/rising......... well, it will not be there as the foot moves into the next correct position. Q.E.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X