X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by still learning View Post
    If the hakama is in contact with the sole of the foot prior to beginning/rising......... well, it will not be there as the foot moves into the next correct position. Q.E.D.
    Hmm not totally sure about that Bill. We both have suffered from hakama issues in the past and there is more to this than simply saying "foot moves into correct position" etc as a cure-all.

You do need to get the hakama away from ones feet if there is a danger of tripping/standing on it etc. Otherwise there would be no need for hakama sabiki.

Or indeed, gripping the hakama with ones right hand to hoik it up when taking either seiza or tatehiza (wink wink lol)

Comment

It kinda depends on the kata I think. If standing means taking a fairly long stance, such as mae, then the problem is minimal, but if the foot stays close (e.g. Uke Nagashi) the problem is significant. Of course, one doesn't do different hakama sabaki depending on which kata follows, there should be no appearance of anything different. After all in the "real world" one would not sit knowing what was going to happen.

The point I'm making is that problems are rare when the hakama is not correctly placed, but any problem is significant. We would not want to be killed because we don't know how to sit down correctly. There is a case for saying that inadequate hakama sabaki is ineffective as budo.

Comment

The point I'm making is that problems are rare when the hakama is not correctly placed, but any problem is significant. We would not want to be killed because we don't know how to sit down correctly. There is a case for saying that inadequate hakama sabaki is ineffective as budo.
        Yes that makes sense. I think there is a 'Goldilocks Zone' when applying hakama sabaki. Too much and it just looks overdone and flappy; too little and you run the risk of it getting in your feet when standing.

Comment

Working...
        X