X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for iaido dojo, but don't want to do aikido

I used to practice iaido but had to quite my dojo, I am looking to practice again but do not want to do aikido. I currently live in the South Florida area, and the dojo would have to be in Miami- Dade, or Broward county. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I do not really care what style the dojo teaches. Thank you.

Shido

here's a list of dojos in florida that are affiliated with the all u.s. kendo federation. some teach only kendo, other teach both kendo and iai.

http://www.auskf.info/mainpages/States/CDEFG_States.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Shido
      I used to practice iaido but had to quite my dojo, I am looking to practice again but do not want to do aikido. I currently live in the South Florida area, and the dojo would have to be in Miami- Dade, or Broward county. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I do not really care what style the dojo teaches. Thank you.

Shido
      Hi,

Stupid question but: Did the iaido dojo you quit require you to practice aikido as well?

Comment

Hi Shido, I did Aikido for over a year passing 6 Kyu and we never did any Iaido. I can't remember exactly what we did but it was very much like kendo Nihonkendo kata but performing about 10 different suburi and kata. We also used Jou doing the same.

http://www.baymarinaikido.com/pages/weapons.html

Iaido is the art of drawing the sword and a diffrent thing. I don't know much about it my self but it seems to be performed by ones self and maybe from a Seiza or low position. Starting with the sword some times live or just steel in its sheath doing a number of cuts then re-sheathing again.

Comment

You are in luck my sensei gives iaido classes twice a week in Miami (SW40th(bird road) and 93rd next to bird bowls). Iaido is on wed at this dojo from 7:30-9:30ish and on saturdays from 10-12:30 next to the Sedanos on flagler and 107.

Our website is http://www.miami-komei-jyuku.org/ . My name is Daniel and I am there every day so if you come to class make sure you say hi.

Comment

To Halcyon: Thank you for the list, and I had not previously known about auskf website.

To Ralutin: Yes, to do the Iaido we also had to do aikido, which I am terrible at, my patience is poor, and I am the least graceful person anyone has ever seen.

To Musha: Thank you, and I have a question, do you like aikido and do you find it easy to apply in combat? I will look into your dojo, please tell me all about it and your instructor.

To Bleda: Thank you, I will look into your dojo, and one question, how many teenagers are in your class? You do kendo right? Please, I am interested in your dojo and sensei.

Thank you everyone,

Shido

Comment

We have like 4-5 teenagers(out of a class of 8-12 usually) but everyone gets along reguardless of age. We practice kendo on mondays and fridays same times as iai and also we do naginata although not as often as iai (mostly do to the fact that only sensei owns a practice naginata and the rest of us use jo's =P). Come on down whenever you get the chance and check us out.

Comment

Does anyone know anyknow any school that teaches kendo /iaido in miami fl ? please do tell me if you know i will be really gratefull

Comment

Try reading this very thread. There's at least one in Miami.

Comment

Working...
                  X