Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools for Iaido and Kendo or just Iaido in South California

Hello, newbie here.

I'm always fascinated with Japanese swordplay and wish to learn but I find that I like Iaido better than Kendo but I am willing to learn both if I could find a school near where I am that teaches both.

I live in Huntington Beach California and would appreciate it if someone could find a good dojo in the So Cal area or more specifically Orange County.

Originally posted by squallwinger
    Hello, newbie here.

I'm always fascinated with Japanese swordplay and wish to learn but I find that I like Iaido better than Kendo but I am willing to learn both if I could find a school near where I am that teaches both.

I live in Huntington Beach California and would appreciate it if someone could find a good dojo in the So Cal area or more specifically Orange County.
    Hi,

I live in HB myself and practice kendo and iaido under the Southern California Kendo Federation (SCKF) and the Southern California Iaido Association (SCIA). You may click on the links in my signature field for more information on each federation.

My kendo dojo is at the Orange County Buddhist Church (OCB) in Anaheim and I practice iaido at the Norwalk kendo dojo in Norwalk, which is about 30 minutes north off the 605. There are also a couple of SCKF kendo dojo in Orange County in Costa Mesa and Tustin.

You may also want to check out the Suio Ryu study groups in Anaheim and UCI. They incorporate kenjutsu and iaijutsu in their curriculum. Here's their website: http://www.suioryu-usa.org.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or e-mail me.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Comment

Hi again,

I just wanted to add that you're more than welcome to visit any of the kendo or iaido dojo that peak your interest, but I would suggest contacting them via telephone or e-mail beforehand to confirm their practice schedule and to let them know that you'd like to visit.

Comment

Whoa! Southern California?! You will have no problem finding a quality dojo for whatever Japanese art you wish to take.

I used to live in Irvine and practiced at UC Irvine and Tustin. Tustin is primarily kendo and was filled with exceptional teachers. UCI's Iaido club was always frequented by experienced students. However, the mixture between UCI's kendo club and Iaido club was minimal when I was there. I don't know the population that practices both.

Anyway, check the web sites at the end of Ralutin's post. They will provide you with much info on local dojos.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly
          Whoa! Southern California?! You will have no problem finding a quality dojo for whatever Japanese art you wish to take.

I used to live in Irvine and practiced at UC Irvine and Tustin. Tustin is primarily kendo and was filled with exceptional teachers. UCI's Iaido club was always frequented by experienced students. However, the mixture between UCI's kendo club and Iaido club was minimal when I was there. I don't know the population that practices both.

Anyway, check the web sites at the end of Ralutin's post. They will provide you with much info on local dojos.
          Hi,

As far as I know, there is no cross training between the kendoka and iaidoka at UCI due to the fact that the kendo and iaido instructors are from different affiliations. Also, the iai practiced at UCI is affiliated with the Suio Ryu, a school that does not allow any of its students to train in any other martial arts. FYI, the UCI kendo instructor is affiliated with the SCKF.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralutin
            Hi,

Also, the iai practiced at UCI is affiliated with the Suio Ryu, a school that does not allow any of its students to train in any other martial arts.
            Not quite.

Katsuse Soke has requested that we do not practice any other "sword art". Our understanding is that his definition of a "sword art" would not include Kendo.

Katsuse Soke is a highly ranked Kendoka himself.
            Last edited by Kusarigama; 1st April 2004, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kusarigama
              Not quite.

Katsuse Soke has requested that we do not practice any other "sword art". Our understanding is that his definition of a "sword art" would not include Kendo.

Katsuse Soke is a highly ranked Kendoka himself.

Hi Britt,

It's been a while. I hope all is well.

Thanks for the clarification/correction. I know Katsuse soke has 7 dan in kendo, but I didn't know whether or not he was still practicing it.
              Last edited by Ralutin; 1st April 2004, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralutin
                Thanks for the clarification/correction. I know Katsuse soke has 7 dan in kendo, but I didn't know whether or not he was still practicing it.
                When I visited the Honbu last June, Katsuse Soke put on the gear and gave all the younger folks a good lesson on just how fast he really is.

VERY impressive.

Comment

Working...
                X