X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iaitou/swords in Victoria, Australia

A month or two ago our state Government announced that they were going to crack down on edged weapons and require all Iaitou/Swords etc. to be either handed over to Police or registered. Since that announcement I have heard nothing more on this issue. Is anyone else aware of what is going on?

I'm from Victoria as well. As I understand the legislation isn't through yet. the swords used in Iaido will either be able to be used with proof of your Dojo .Or a possible licence may be required.
    The inhibitive cost of an Iaido sword is its saving grace. It will be out of reach of most of the idiots that have been seen in the media lately wielding fake swords.
    There are people that could give you further info if you want to contact me via private message.

cheers Michael

Comment

From what info is currently available it seems I will still be able to go down to my local army disposal store and buy myself a machete, because these things have a legitimate use

Comment

Tommy - are you a member of the VKR?

If so, contact Tony, Marcus or myself and we can put you at ease.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. gsx 1100s - see you in the morning !
        Last edited by Kendoka; 7th May 2004, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendoka
          Tommy - are you a member of the VKR?

If so, contact Tony, Marcus or myself and we can put you at ease.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. gsx 1100s - see you in the morning !
          Not any more, but put me at ease anyway

Comment

Kendoka where do u train in Vict?

Comment

Originally posted by Sithlord
              Kendoka where do u train in Vict?
              Kendo at Fudoshin and Iaido at Seishin,

>R

Comment

Hello Richard , I've just read this post !
                I've been off line for a while so I didn't "link" the link from this post and comments made at Seishin boy do i feel like a goose.
                Looking foward to our next meeting.

regards Michael

Comment

This whole issue seems to have gone rather quite. I guess there's been no "massacres" lately in Melbourne

What's the current state of play?

Comment

I actually emailed the police not long ago for their stance on the issue. The reply I reieved was that the law is not passed and is currently working its way through parliment. When the law is passed all swords and large knives will be banned, except where you have a valid reason for possessing such weapon, such as regognised sporting activities. Its much like the Gun ban. If you are not a sport shooter or licenced hunter you cant own a gun anymore.

Comment

The latest is that ( on blunt Iaito ) it is fine to own and use, In Victoria.

cheers michael

Comment

Originally posted by Peter
                        I actually emailed the police not long ago for their stance on the issue. The reply I reieved was that the law is not passed and is currently working its way through parliment. When the law is passed all swords and large knives will be banned, except where you have a valid reason for possessing such weapon, such as regognised sporting activities. Its much like the Gun ban. If you are not a sport shooter or licenced hunter you cant own a gun anymore.
                        If you were members of the AKR and VKR, you should have received some info.
                        The advice that you quote above is in part incorrect. Weapons are controlled by regulation that is formulated by the Minister, not by legislation that goes through parliament and those regualtions came into effect 6 months ago.

The correct bit is that if you are a member of a defined association it is OK to own and use a sword.

Michael is correct, most peoples understanding of the regulation is that an iaito is a blunt practice weapon and is not a sword as defined in the regulations.

Some more details are at http://kendoaustralia.asn.au/forum/m...tml?1087812745

Comment

Working...
                        X