Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to learn Iaido in York, NE UK - But NO clubs!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to learn Iaido in York, NE UK - But NO clubs!

Hi all

I have wanted to learn Iaido for almost five years now, but I live in York and there are no places where I can go. The nearest school is so far away the cost would be prohibitive for me by train or bus, I don't drive.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me or advise me as to what I could do, is there anything practical or worthwhile I can learn from home with a bokken, or any resources.

I can't be the only person who is so keen to learn but have nowhere to go. I am really envious of everyone who has the privilege of being able to learn Iaido, I just wish I had the chance! Aikido is the only martial art I can learn here!

Any help, ideas or advice would be most welcome.

Francis

If you really want to learn, then you'll have to travel, even if only once or twice a month. You cannot learn it out of a book or from a video, unless your goal is only to play around with swords in your backyard. You will only succeed in getting bad habits.

You'll find a lot of people hanging out here who travel for hours every week or month for training. Where is the closest dojo to you?

Comment

I've just found a number for a place in Leeds, not too far, a bus ride!! I will call them over the next day or so.

Thanks..

Comment

If that's the Leeds MJER dojo, then I would also strongly recommend the DVD you will be able to get from them.

Not as an alternative to attending classes, but if you can only make it every couple of weeks, say, thenit will tide you over.

Actually, to be honest, it's well worth having even if you go every week. It's a superb memory jogger.

Comment

HELP!

The details I have is for a club which as far as I can tell closed about a decade ago.

If ANYONE knows of a club or has a phone number for one in Leeds or York PLEASE PLEASE please! let me know.

I cannot emphasise how badly I want to learn, this has been knawing at me for the best part of the last five years, I've made so many calls and checked out so many dead ends I am desparate!

Many thanks
          -Francis

Comment

You have seen the BKA list for NE England, I assume? If not, it's here.

Comment

I've been slow on this...
              Mark Sykes teaches in Leeds, however has a waiting list as his club is full at the moment. As people drop out pretty quickly though, p.m. me for his phone number.
              If you are prepared to travel a little, I am up the road in Darlington, and teach a club in the area most nights of the week.

Comment

Sorry I haf posted stuff for New York in the US not for York in England. Guess I should read better

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan
                  I've been slow on this...
                  Mark Sykes teaches in Leeds, however has a waiting list as his club is full at the moment. As people drop out pretty quickly though, p.m. me for his phone number.
                  If you are prepared to travel a little, I am up the road in Darlington, and teach a club in the area most nights of the week.
                  ok, where can I find more info? prices, place etc..
                  I knew there was one in Darlington but I could not afford the train fare on a regular basis, once a month maybe but never more than that, that's why I would prefer Leeds, because I could get a bus there much cheaper and so attend 2-3 times a month.

Thanks to everyone who replied

Comment

something appears to be wrong with the p.m. system...
                    email me on:

chidokan@ntlworld.com

and I will pass you Marks number. I seem to remember the dojo is a bit of a trip from the station, so someone will probably pick you up...

Comment

ok, will email you now

Comment

Dang, I wish I'd found these forums before I tried to mail Mark Sykes.

Hope you don't mind if I mail you to Tim

Comment

make sure you put "iaido" in the title somewhere as I have a particularly evil spam killer which eats anyone not in my address book...

Comment

Haha, ok, I've sent the request again, thanks in advance

Comment

Hope you guys have been sorted out with Mark's email/details.

Here is a link to the website which also contains contact info for the sensies including Mark's details..

http://www.eikoku-roshukai.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X