X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good DVD??

I am in the Military and recently became very interested in Japenese swords.

I first looked at Kendo but the sparring does not seem realistic, meaning some of the footage I have watched does not seem as if it is geared toward lives swordsmanship.

I am now looking at Iaido and it seems more of what I am looking for. I own a few Katanas and now would like to know how to use them a bit.

I am in a location that does not offer either of the arts and was wondering if there are any good Iaido DVD's that could teach me something.

I have learned quite a bit from what I knew before by lurking but now I think I want to buy a bokken (sp?) and get an instructional DVD.

Thanks for any help.

there are some out there but its a dodgy way of learning....a bit like trying to learn to fly a helicopter by just reading a book... you could do it but it might hurt you.
    I recommended one on another thread here somewhere, have a search around. The main problem is that they are mainly for reminding junior students of certain points, and do not replace a good teacher. The main issue will be that you will acquire bad habits that are hell to get rid of when you finally find someone to teach you properly....

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying as I tell people who want to learn BJJ through tapes the same thing.

I really have no options other than this and do not even know another person who studies the art.

I feel that the DVD may give me some insight.

Comment

Video of Nakayama Hakudo...not instruction video, but it's a DVD and the footage is inspiring:

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=367&page=1

There are some Zen Ken Ren Iai videos here, but not in DVD format:
        http://www.kendo.or.jp/english-page/...agu-Kennomichi

If you want classical styles, try here:
        http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...me.php?cat=364

You can also do a search here:

www.buyubooks.com
        www.budogu.com

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks alot bro!

Comment

try asking on e-budo for a local dojo, there seems to be a lot of USA guys who keep a low profile but run dojos....

Comment

e-budo?? It that a webpage?

Thanks!

Comment

e-budo.com. for some reason offline tonight, usually on though....ask on the sword forum area.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by trainedkilla
                    ...I own a few Katanas and now would like to know how to use them a bit...
                    Thank you Home Shopping Network...

Look at this sword, this here sword is unbelievably beautiful... I have never seen a sword so beautifully crafted, and the great thing is that we are offering all five of these swords... for the low low price of... my manager is going to get mad at me but I don't care... the low price of $300 for all five. No, make that $200 for all five swords. That's right, I said all five swords. Not only that, we include the scabbards and a sword stand... hand-crafted in rich wood. Look at that finish...

Comment

deleted.

I do have some self control.
                      Last edited by trainedkilla; 29th May 2004, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                        Thank you Home Shopping Network...

Look at this sword, this here sword is unbelievably beautiful... I have never seen a sword so beautifully crafted, and the great thing is that we are offering all five of these swords... for the low low price of... my manager is going to get mad at me but I don't care... the low price of $300 for all five. No, make that $200 for all five swords. That's right, I said all five swords. Not only that, we include the scabbards and a sword stand... hand-crafted in rich wood. Look at that finish...
                        hai_hai, nice one smart guy.

My katanas happen to be the real thing, not the 440 stainless garbage.

I'm not that new.

Comment

Originally posted by trainedkilla
                          deleted.
                          Good call. Don't let yourself get wound up by Hai_Hai. He's the resident smart-ass around here and seems to enjoy stalking new members, although he often does contribute useful info in other threads. He's actually pretty funny once you get to know him. Having narrowly escaped getting banned several times, he could be called the 9-life ninja.

Comment

Originally posted by not-I
                            Good call. Don't let yourself get wound up by Hai_Hai. He's the resident smart-ass around here and seems to enjoy stalking new members, although he often does contribute useful info in other threads. He's actually pretty funny once you get to know him. Having narrowly escaped getting banned several times, he could be called the 9-life ninja.

LOL

I fell for the troll at first but gathered my composure.

Comment

Originally posted by not-I
                              anyone know what happened to yowai? i miss that guy...

Comment

Working...
                              X