Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoguBag/Koei Budogu iaitos

Hi,

Ive practised iaido for a year and half now. I think everybody in my dojo have Tozando blades and I went for one. I used to have a basic Tozando Higo Koshirae, and I didnt like the feel of it. Tip-heavy blade despite of light weight, quite short and thin tsuka, and the cotton tsuka cord got loose just after three months of training.

I got to test Tozandos Hon Koshirae, Dotanuki and Jidai but before going for another Tozando blade I thought to search out other alternatives.
    Thanks to this forum, I found my way to BoguBag.
    Now Im waiting for my customized BoguBag Rentasya Koshirae to arrive and I thought to ask opinions about BoguBag/Koei Budogu iaitos. Anybody have their blades?
    Hows the balance, durability, quality of the fittings?
    Theres been some posts about other manufacturers but I havent found reviews about this companys products.

To my surprise it was cheaper for me to order the iaito from USA than from EuroBogu, must be because of the currency rates
    With the price of Tozando Hon Koshirae Ill get leather tsukamaki, chaishime saya and custom tsuba & habaki for the Rentasya Koshirae. Mr.Stroud has been very helpful with the process. Ill get back to this when the sword arrives...

Cheers,

Toni

I have a Ue Koshirae coming in from Bogubag sometime at the end of this month/ start of July. Mr. Stroud has been very helpful. I'll get back to you about the iaito itself once I've had a chance to use it.

Comment

Same here, mine should be here by the end of the month. I also ordered a couple of kata blades for kendo so I can let you know how those work out.

Comment

Just received my BoguBag Iaito

I got my Iaito from BoguBag on Wednesday this week. It's an upgraded Tokusen Koshirae with black silk tsuka maki and black same. It came as ordered with 2 nice brocade sword bags and a little bottle of choji oil. It's nicely finished and feels great! Nice not to use a bokken anymore!!!

I would recommend them for iaito. They're less expensive and quicker on delivery then swordstore, and Robert speaks english, so that eases customer service (tozando....) Due to the time I ordered, it took 11 weeks to get my custom iaito, but I guess that's pretty standard for a March/April order.

Comment

Hi Juice I have got some questions.
          How much did the black same upgrade costs? How much the silk maki?
          When do you have to pay? Do you pay the money when you order or when the iaito is ready to ship?

Best regards

Mac

Comment

Same here, just got my Iaito, and Kendo Kata blades. They were all very nice, and dealing with Robert was a pleasure. I also had mine custom made, and only took about 6 weeks to get.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was what the heck the really long strings with the tassles were for? Are they for tying up the bags?

Comment

<Quote>
              Hi Juice I have got some questions.
              How much did the black same upgrade costs? How much the silk maki?
              When do you have to pay? Do you pay the money when you order or when the iaito is ready to ship? </Quote>

The black same is only $10 or so, but the silk tsuka maki was a $110 upgrade. I didn't have to pay for my sword til it shipped, which is a Huge bonus considering it took 12 weeks to get...

The tassled cords are for tying up the sword bag. I got a beautiful brocade bag thrown in with my purchase. Nice, compared to the typical black or blue bag.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely go with bogubag. Their prices are just unbeatable.

Comment

Nice to hear you got your orders already and that youre happy with them!
                  Makes my own waiting even harder...

Toni

Comment

Originally posted by Macbeth
                    Thank you for your reply. I will definitely go with bogubag. Their prices are just unbeatable.
                    While their prices seem reasonable, I wouldn't consider them unbeatable. Same general price range as http://www.swordstore.com but not nearly as much flexibility and selection with your fittings as Swordstore.

Comment

Iaito arrived!

I got my iaito yesterday. Everything was as I ordered, the package was well
                      packed.

The leather tsukamaki is very tight and well tied. Saya fits well, fittings
                      are tight, balance feels good. The sword came with a beautiful bag. The blade edge is actually pretty sharp compared to a Tozando blade, I guess Ill just have to be more careful when doing nukitsuke and noto...

The only thing that bothers is the alignment of the blade. It seems that the
                      blade is slightly tilted inside the tsuka, making a couple of degrees angle
                      to the edge. It can be clearly seen in the habaki, the blade is tight on the
                      right side of habaki, leaving some space on the left. Also the mekugi peg
                      seems to be lower on the left side. I doubt this will have any effect on my
                      kata, but the habaki edge might eat out the koiguchi... No big deal, thats probably something that can be fixed by a friend familiar with swords and fittings.

In general, I was very pleased with the sword and I think its good value for the money. It was a pleasure ordering through Bogubag. Time will tell how it performs at the dojo, but the first impression is good!

Cheers,
                      Toni

Comment

Charles,

I had actually placed an order with Rick at Sword Store and for $600 I had a fairly standard blade with very standard fittings. Cotton tsuka maki, standard sword bag, basic saya, etc.

For $405 at Bogu Bag I was able to get the blade I wanted, silk tsuka maki, and I got 2 beautiful brocade sword bags and a bottle of Choji oil.

Sword Store definitely has a better selection of fittings, but they are much more expensive then Bogu Bag.

Comment

Finally I got to test the new blade.
                          It performs really well, the balance is wonderful and it almost feels like Im swinging a bokken instead of an iaito. The sound of a well executed swing is nice . Leather tsukamaki handles sweat very well, my hand didnt slip once like it did with the previous sword with cotton ito.
                          Tilted habaki doesnt cause any harm in any phase of the kata.
                          Sageo is a basic cotton one, but it hangs well. Not one of those very thick rope-like sageos like in some tozando blades. (Matter of personal preference I guess, i like a sageo that is easy to tie and doesnt get twirled)

There are good and bad things about the light weight. I havent measured it accurately, but this sword is maybe 200g lighter than 2.50 Tozando hon koshirae. I swung these two swords just to feel the difference and both handle well, but for different reasons.
                          The tozando feels like a bulldozer, but when you get the swing right, it really feels great. Its also more forgiving in case the swing goes a bit off. Requires a bit of power in the arm to stop the swing and it will definitely make your arms ache if youre not used to the 1000g+ weight.
                          Bogubag blade is easy to swing even one-handedly, but a bad swing goes flying here and there. Its very manouverable, works well with diagonal cuts and blocks. It just requires a near-perfect swing, definitely skill over power. And I lack both at the moment...

Cheers,
                          Toni

BTW, the final cost of the sword was 410 euros.
                          Last edited by Envar; 23rd July 2004, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juice
                            Charles,

I had actually placed an order with Rick at Sword Store and for $600 I had a fairly standard blade with very standard fittings. Cotton tsuka maki, standard sword bag, basic saya, etc.

For $405 at Bogu Bag I was able to get the blade I wanted, silk tsuka maki, and I got 2 beautiful brocade sword bags and a bottle of Choji oil.

Sword Store definitely has a better selection of fittings, but they are much more expensive then Bogu Bag.
                            Well I have no experience with the blades being offered at Bogu Bag. Hoepfully they will be as durable and well balanced as the ones available at SwordStore.

Which model at Swordstore came to $600 with all basic stuff? What you describe sounds like a 1A but the 1A is only like $350. The 2002 is around $600 and it comes with silk wrap, a huge selection of tsuba and menuki to chose from and several different options for the saya.

Comment

Charles,

The Sword I ordered was the 1001 2.5 shaku with black same and standard fittings. The shipped price was $605, after they threw in the black same upgrade for free. I felt that a silk tsuka maki was more important to me then the particular style of furniture so the BoguBag iaito ended up being a better deal for my particular situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X