Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a wallhanger is extremely dangerous, shown in photos. Please READ.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a wallhanger is extremely dangerous, shown in photos. Please READ.

Hi Minna-san,

I was just looking for information on Sword Forum International and I ran across this extremely informative thread that shows in graphic detail using photos, how a wallhanger(The dangerous 440-steel swords and the like.) is made.

Would you please sticky this to the top of the forum Hamish-san? This really is a MUST READ for anyone.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...=second+mekugi

Thank you!

Kaoru

One more thing.

Oh yes, I forgot to say that I have said many times these swords are dangerous. So have many others here. This is visual proof of this fact.

Kaoru

Comment

Someone needs to write a "READ THIS OR DIE" FAQ....

Comment

I think the thread pretty much speaks for itself....Only use proper practice blades!!!!!!!!

Comment

Dangers of Iaido

Hi Hamish

I saw this discussion on another site and thought that this coudl be added as a sticky on your site:
          http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...threadid=50219

This show how dangerour swords are, even in expert hands. Word of warning - the photos are graphic and show how much damage can be done with a loss of concentration.

David

Comment

Ahhhh...Jenn's SLO thread.... Good reading with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru
              Hi Minna-san,

I was just looking for information on Sword Forum International and I ran across this extremely informative thread that shows in graphic detail using photos, how a wallhanger(The dangerous 440-steel swords and the like.) is made.

Would you please sticky this to the top of the forum Hamish-san? This really is a MUST READ for anyone.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...=second+mekugi

Thank you!

Kaoru
              O_O wow. i own that wallhanger. and i hit things with it. i never would have thought that it was such a peice of crap. I bought it for $10 U.S., but i didnt think iit was that bad! the tang was welded on!

Comment

my first sword was like the first he disasembled. It brok one day while I was carrying it in the scabbard. It was very high quality.

I dont understand. How could he have not noticed that he scewered himself that badly? It went all the way through and through to the back of his upper arm!?!?! That really sucks. I hope everything turns out alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                  I dont understand. How could he have not noticed that he scewered himself that badly? It went all the way through and through to the back of his upper arm!?!?! That really sucks. I hope everything turns out alright.
                  Yeah, it seems like even an iaito would have done some damage in that situation. They said no nerve damage - amazing. He's a lucky guy.

Hank.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenShinai
                    O_O wow. i own that wallhanger. and i hit things with it. i never would have thought that it was such a peice of crap. I bought it for $10 U.S., but i didnt think iit was that bad! the tang was welded on!
                    Please don't use it anymore please!!! You can DIE if it should break, if you keep using it. Ok?

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist
                      my first sword was like the first he disasembled. It brok one day while I was carrying it in the scabbard. It was very high quality.
                      No it wasn't. Not for using, it wasn't high quality. If it was made like the first one disassembled, it isn't a sword meant for use, and was only meant for the wall.
                      There is high quality(Meaning just a very nice display piece that doesn't look like cosplay gear, but still is extremely unsafe and not made properly for use.), meant for a WALL, and high quality(Meaning a sword that is made properly, intended for training.) meant for USE. BIG difference!

No offense.... I'm glad it didn't break and injure you when you used it.(If you did, that is.)

Kaoru

Comment

Please don't use it anymore please!!! You can DIE if it should break, if you keep using it. Ok?

Kaoru
                        You can DIE? Don't you think that's a bit extreme? No need to scaremonger.

I think the guy who put the sword through his arm was using a shinken if I remember correctly.

Comment

No it wasn't. Not for using, it wasn't high quality. If it was made like the first one disassembled, it isn't a sword meant for use, and was only meant for the wall.
                          There is high quality(Meaning just a very nice display piece that doesn't look like cosplay gear, but still is extremely unsafe and not made properly for use.), meant for a WALL, and high quality(Meaning a sword that is made properly, intended for training.) meant for USE. BIG difference!

No offense.... I'm glad it didn't break and injure you when you used it.(If you did, that is.)

Kaoru
                          OMG I was being sarcastic. haha

Comment

Originally posted by ZealUK

I think the guy who put the sword through his arm was using a shinken if I remember correctly.
                            Yep, and he would have died has his wife not been there to help control the bleeding. Freak, life-taking accidents happen all the time, even to experienced people. This incident was probably very close to being such a case. It could have happend exactly the same even if he was using an iaito - all iaito I've seen have very sharp tips on them, even if ho sharp edge (gods know I used to cut myself on it more than I care to admit).

Comment

Originally posted by ZealUK

Well, I did read about one person, a sensei, whose blade came out from the tsuka and it flew across the room killing a kid who was watching him practice kata from a safe distance. It stabbed him right in the chest. A blade can fly very far. So, if not himself, how about another friend hanging out with him? Wallhangers have loads more potential for this happening than a real pactice sword thanks to how the tang is often put in. They often have no mekugi pin.

I'll have to find the site with all the sword accidents to post. And, remember that HSN video with the guy who tapped the wallhanger sword on the table and it broke in two and the blade stabbed him? He got very lucky it wasn't fatal.

I just want him to not get hurt. Walhangers aren't safe for use.

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
                              X