Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Why a wallhanger is extremely dangerous, shown in photos. Please READ. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ric Flinn
    Yep, and he would have died has his wife not been there to help control the bleeding. Freak, life-taking accidents happen all the time, even to experienced people. This incident was probably very close to being such a case. It could have happend exactly the same even if he was using an iaito - all iaito I've seen have very sharp tips on them, even if ho sharp edge (gods know I used to cut myself on it more than I care to admit).
    I was actually referring to Karou's post regarding the wallhanger, not the incident where the guy cut into his arm. I recognise that accidents happen, even to senior practitioners. Please don't take my post as being flippant about a serious accident.

I also know that wallhangers aren't designed to take the stress induced by a cutting motion. I appreciate concerns for safety, I just think the way in which Karou voiced them was rather patronising. Telling people wallhanger swords are unsafe is one thing, telling them they may die in capital letters is quite another.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealUK
      I was actually referring to Karou's post regarding the wallhanger, not the incident where the guy cut into his arm. I recognise that accidents happen, even to senior practitioners. Please don't take my post as being flippant about a serious accident.

I also know that wallhangers aren't designed to take the stress induced by a cutting motion. I appreciate concerns for safety, I just think the way in which Karou voiced them was rather patronising. Telling people wallhanger swords are unsafe is one thing, telling them they may die in capital letters is quite another.
      Oh, I wasn't intending to be patronising. I just was being emphatic. At least, that's how I perceived it. Suppose I ought to have used Italics instead...

Kaoru

Comment

I find it intersted that there were several posters asking the guy how long he had been doing Iai and there was never a response. I think the thing to note here is that an accident of that nature most likely happened because he hadn't taken any Iai training. (Although I most certainly could be wrong)

Comment

Don's experience

Hi there,

from reading the post and Don's profile he has well over 20 years of experience and there was a split second loss of concentration while doing Noto.

Just shows how even with a lot of experience mistakes can happen.

David

Comment

I have a wallhanger, but it does have a mekugi, and pretty much is traditional. I practice alone, so no one else is in danger, and I don't really do things extremely quickly. But I also have many low quality "wall hanger" swords, that would break quite easily...

Comment

Originally posted by nahte123
              I have a wallhanger, but it does have a mekugi, and pretty much is traditional. I practice alone, so no one else is in danger, and I don't really do things extremely quickly. But I also have many low quality "wall hanger" swords, that would break quite easily...
              I have a variety of swords including 2 wallahangers. One broke and the other is stuffed away behind a dresser where I can forget about it. I used to take it out everyonce in a while. You can tell when it is going to break.

There are a variety of wallhangers and some of them WILL NOT break.

I have a set that looks like this
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...528810279&rd=1

They are sooooooo fake. but they have huge metal rivets hold a full tang.

Comment

What is the test to see if a sword has a rat tail tang, besides taking it apart. How do you know when a sword is about to break?

Comment

Originally posted by hiko
                  What is the test to see if a sword has a rat tail tang, besides taking it apart. How do you know when a sword is about to break?
                  When you are screaming "aaah omfg son of a bitch" and bleeding all over, it's generally the moment before that happens when the wallhanger is about to break.

Comment

Originally posted by Optomitrist

Hehe.

I bought one of those for precisely that reason. I then threw away the aluminium saya and removed the... er... two blocks of wood meant to be a tsuka and made my own! Great fun.

Comment

hmm good idea. I hand made a saya for one of them as a wood working project.

I thought it was decent untill I got a PPK and started to cry. haha

Comment

Originally posted by hiko
                        Hi Hiko-san,

You don't. You should NEVER use a sword meant for display purposes. EVER. Unless you want to end up sorry. ALL wallhangers are not safe. They are called wallhangers for a reason.

You really should not even pick up a sword and use it unless you are trained in a dojo. Even then, not a live blade unless sensei says you can.

Sorry for the emphasis, but I just wanted to be clear. (Not shouting.)

Kaoru

Comment

I have a variety of swords including 2 wallahangers. One broke and the other is stuffed away behind a dresser where I can forget about it. I used to take it out everyonce in a while. You can tell when it is going to break.

Ummm... Didn't you see that video of the wallhanger that DID break? The blade broke right in two, and the moron selling them thought it was ok to tap it on a table and claimed it was "battle ready" and then it stabbed him in the stomach when it broke. The steel used on wallhangers is quite brittle.

The best person on this forum to ask about this is Charles Mahan, IMHO. He can explain about the steel used on these swords very well. he's an Iaidoka who is yondan.

And, if it has metal rivets, that is even more dangerous. Rivets are very bad, and not safe. Those aren't even the proper mekugi. Metal on metal is just asking for an accident.

Hmmm... Somewhere, someone else said metal mekugi like that are not safe, and the thread it was in is Mica's Mekugi thread in the Iaido forum.

You should never use those swords you have. So, please save yourself an accident and don't use them if you do, ok?

Kaoru

Comment

oh kaoru,

i dont train with them. I just throw them up in the air and try to catch them.

lighten up.

Comment

Oh, and I just realised I read you wrong, and didn't see that you USED to use them. Anyway, I'm glad you don't now. After seeing those pics in that one link someone posted in this thread earlier, the idea makes me shudder... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

So sorry, never mind that bit. But, wallhangers DO break. Look at that one vid. It's pretty funny but sad all at the same time. It doesn't have to be the tsuka, etc, that comes loose.

Kaoru

Comment

oh kaoru,

i dont train with them. I just throw them up in the air and try to catch them.

lighten up.
                                Hahaha, we cross-posted! Is this a new circus act you are perfecting? What did you name that waza?

Kaoru

P.S. I just didn't want you to get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X