Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a wallhanger is extremely dangerous, shown in photos. Please READ.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaoru
    I don't suppose you realise how ridiculous you sound. You have no clue what you are even saying. It takes years of serious training in forging a sword to learn to make one that is useable and SAFE. It will also cost you more than 50 dollars. You don't just pound a piece of steel together and suddenly you have a sword safe enough for actual use by a trained person.
    Originally posted by Kaoru

I never said to forge it (thats beyond the limit of $50), I did'nt say anything about punding steel toghether. If I am wrong please point it out for me please.

Tougher has nothing to to do with it. It's the quality of the steel and the quality of the work done by a qualified swordsmith that matters. A cheap 440 steel blade is brittle and will break, but a quality sword that is made of good quality carbon steel most likely won't break unless one is stupid enough to hack at something they ought not, or, if some untrained person is attempting tameshigiri.

a sword has to be able to withstand even the worst cutting technique, or else it's not acceptable. yes you use fine steel. I never mentioned 440 stainless steel if I did please point it out for me please.

A quality sword made by a qualified swordsmith will last a person years, and yes, one can outlive a person's kids if it is properly taken care of.

A homemade sword made by someone who just used a lot of books and what have you, will not be safe for use. Before attempting to make a sword meant for use, one ought to go get proper instruction on swordsmithing. Otherwise, yeah, go ahead and try to make a sword for fun, but certainly, do not use it in practice!

I do read alot of books. but I never said you need to read alot of books to make a sword If I did please point it out for me please.

Wrong. That's your WORST choice. You really have no idea what goes into making a sword that is safe for use, do you.

If a person does not want to spend the money, then they should get a bokken. Besides, an untrained person has no business using a live blade in the first place, so they should buy a bokken if they want to play with a sword.

I never said anything about playing with swords (swords are weapons not toys) I find it interesting that you associate them with playing. the sword arts are not a game. If I said differently please point it out for me.

What kind of idiotic statement is that? Sorry, but that is so wrong it's not funny.

Don't put quotes around the word "educated," because that is being spiteful towards those that have put in their time in the dojo. If you want to be sarcastic, please do it somewhere else. Simply put, a homemade sword will not be allowed into a legit dojo. A sword used in practice must be deemed safe by the sensei.

It wasn't intended to be sarcastic, the label "educated" is the one that loudmouth knowitalls give themselves, real educated people ask for proff and reserve their opinions on an object until they have enough information about said object. I never attacked people who attend dojos. I never said to take your sword to a dojo. If I did point it out to me please.

Then, please don't come here and say silly things like this.

It is not the karou website, if it is please point it out to me.

That is not the way you test a sword, BTW. Even I know that.

Are you implying you dont know much? I didn't even mention what the test would consist of. If I did point it out to me please.

Actually, what would probably happen, is that the homemade sword will break quickly and quite possibly injure the person using it.

How do you know? How many "homemade swords" have you seen?(is this an example of the form of "educated" I was talking about).

And, who in their right mind wants to ruin a good sword with such a silly test? I certainly wouldn't. I wouldn't, even with a good shinai I liked.

someone who is sure of their swords performance has no trouble with this kind of testing. some of you are very impressed by the supposed super L-6 katana, its maker has been recorded smaking anvils and metal tabletops for fun. would he do this if he was afraid of breaking his sword?

How about you stop talking and get into a good dojo. That would be a good idea.

you are just full of ideas arent you? just one more question for you : How many swords have you made? just wandering sience you give to appearance to know so much on the subject.

Kaoru

Comment

you know what you do? you make up shit*

Comment

hello there everyone. while we are on the topic im about to a buy practical plus katana made by hanwei is this a good reliable company to purchase swors from? is thier swords good quality?
        i need all of your advice so please help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by aquilonian
          Actually no. Kaouru is a rather valued member of this community. Her points are valid. Making swords is a very uncommon skill, but you'd be suprised how many people claim to be making their own. In most cases they are purchasing wallhangers and stripping off the fittings, wrapping the rat tang in shoestring and using a dremel to sharpen the blade. Then they'll talk about how they've been hacking at the treebranches in the backyard. Her attitude towards the unproven new poster is quite understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by cresentmoon
            hello there everyone. while we are on the topic im about to a buy practical plus katana made by hanwei is this a good reliable company to purchase swors from? is thier swords good quality?
            i need all of your advice so please help me out.
            The Practical Plus Katana by Hanwei is servicable but the quality is very low. So it's questionable of it's reliability of the lack of quality control. Sometimes you may get a good one, sometimes you may get a bad one. It's Russian Roulette. Speak with your sensei if Practical Plus is acceptable by him/her in the dojo.

If you can spend extra cash, go for mid range Hanwei line, Tsunami, Shinto, Wind & Thunder, Musashi, Golden Oriole. These are considered better beginner blades by some sensei.

High end Hanwei is always more preferable, Kami, Orchid, Tiger and Bushido models.

Even better Hanwei production Japanese styled swords would be the exclusive Bugei line. www.bugei.com

Comment

you know the more I look at this post the more it seems it was meant to purposely hurt someone. that is not my intent, posting is not very good at expressing emotion. if it's any consilation to you I meant it in the friendlyest manner, whitout anger and with a smile (like when you tell someone to go play on the freeway). your posts don't offend me either way, in fact they bring interest to the forum, we are all part of a small comunity here and we all seem to have a place here sort of like a big family. (even issac ru has a spot he's like our angry teenage child)

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Mahan
                Actually no. Kaouru is a rather valued member of this community. Her points are valid. Making swords is a very uncommon skill, but you'd be suprised how many people claim to be making their own. In most cases they are purchasing wallhangers and stripping off the fittings, wrapping the rat tang in shoestring and using a dremel to sharpen the blade. Then they'll talk about how they've been hacking at the treebranches in the backyard. Her attitude towards the unproven new poster is quite understandable.

I don't believe I have lied or made any slanderous comments about anyone the proof is there. if I had mentioned any of the examples you list above, I would agree tht her anger was understandable, but how do you jump to these conclusions and how do you support those actions when I have done nothing to incite them. If someone is so incredulus then a better post would have been "prove it" or "how". sience when are posts like those she posted acceptable at disproving ideas? wheter you believe me or not does not affect me (sience I am not selling anything or ask anything of you), I don't expect you to, it's your choice based on if the information I give is enough to convince you either way its irrelevant. but if anyone has been on the recieving end of malicious and false posting with the intent to hurt, it was me (the posts are there). what is more it seems it's being done on purpose, why I dont know, it seems I have failed to understand some hidden element to your form interaction.

Comment

I have tried to reply to the latest posts directed at me, but our attemt to communicate in this site is often hindered due to increasinly hostile posting.I hope you all be able to add some insight into something I noticed. At first I though it was done in order to attract attention and create entertainment (much like television), but that seems like its not the case, it seems like there is not real reason for it exemp to cause harm (specially in other threads).

my posts can be viewed in different ways, but the information I present cannot be proven in this manner of communication, as I cannot get a sample to all of you to test out. therefore it could be impossible to believe, exept to those who try. I am not selling anything, or asking you to do anything. all I was offering is a way for the interested and determined (those are the few I have no illusions about that), to make a sword that exells, with simmilar performance as the so called super katana. that can be had at a low price provided you are willing to work for it. conversation spurs ideas, yours seemed intersting sience we don't have any interest (like money) behind the ideas we post. I hope in the least to be entertaining to some.

If I am posting in the wrong thread let me know.

Comment

The difference betwen you and I is, I post what is true, and only that. I would never lie about anything or make anything up. You might, but I won't. My reputation here would suffer if I did. Therefore, I will not tell lies and make things up and post them. Besides, doing such things is not honorable and is wrong.

Kaoru

Comment

you know the more I look at this post the more it seems it was meant to purposely hurt someone. that is not my intent, posting is not very good at expressing emotion. if it's any consilation to you I meant it in the friendlyest manner, whitout anger and with a smile (like when you tell someone to go play on the freeway). your posts don't offend me either way, in fact they bring interest to the forum, we are all part of a small comunity here and we all seem to have a place here sort of like a big family. (even issac ru has a spot he's like our angry teenage child)
                      This is not how you make friends. Saying things like that, is impolite, no matter how you think you mean it. Telling someone to play on the freeway is impolite too.(It's also immature...) It is best to use the "preview post" function in the future.

Kaoru

Comment

Wow this is getting really whiny really quick. If you dont like kaoru just ignore her and her repetitive use of smileys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Blade
                          The Practical Plus Katana by Hanwei is servicable but the quality is very low. So it's questionable of it's reliability of the lack of quality control. Sometimes you may get a good one, sometimes you may get a bad one. It's Russian Roulette. Speak with your sensei if Practical Plus is acceptable by him/her in the dojo.

If you can spend extra cash, go for mid range Hanwei line, Tsunami, Shinto, Wind & Thunder, Musashi, Golden Oriole. These are considered better beginner blades by some sensei.

High end Hanwei is always more preferable, Kami, Orchid, Tiger and Bushido models.

Even better Hanwei production Japanese styled swords would be the exclusive Bugei line. www.bugei.com
                          thanks for that! but i do not have a sensie and do not have a dojo to attend to i ve been practicing japanese swordsmanship for around about 5 informal years on my own..as there is no dojo near my district and it is evry difficult for me to look for one..so i could say that my dojo is my back yard and books my sensei. by the way after how do i know if the blade is of good quality? how must i test it? i noe that i need some tatami mats but...how must it cut?

Comment

thanks for that! but i do not have a sensie and do not have a dojo to attend to i ve been practicing japanese swordsmanship for around about 5 informal years on my own..as there is no dojo near my district and it is evry difficult for me to look for one..so i could say that my dojo is my back yard and books my sensei. by the way after how do i know if the blade is of good quality? how must i test it? i noe that i need some tatami mats but...how must it cut?
                            Oh cr@p.

Did you read this thread mate! If so, you should realise you're going to get REALLY short shrift. In fact, Kaoru is gonna kick you ass buddy.

Or are you perhaps a troll?!

Anyway, you can carry on playing around for me as I'm a strong believer in Darwinism. Just don't do it anywhere near anybody else.

Comment

Ninjujinkaku...I'm wondering how come you got a picture of me in your signature. haha just kidding. Hey from which movie is that from, seems familiar somehow.

Comment

Hi!

You don't. You go to a dojo first, and learn to properly use a sword.

You have no dojo, and you are only using books. This is not clever or good. Do you realise(As I think I have said in this thread many times) that you can seriously injure yourself by playing with a real sword? You are only playing with a sword at this time because you have never had real instruction. You have no business playing with a sharp 3 foot razor blade that can lop your fingers right off or seriously cut you at the least, since you have had no instruction. Not only that, the sword you have is most likely a wallhanger. PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FROM THE BEGINNING. Wallhangers are DANGEROUS.

In a dojo, you will not be allowed to use a live blade for QUITE a while. This is for a good reason. A beginner with no prior instruction is considered unsafe and must be properly taught to use a sword. He/she will first use a bokuto(wooden sword) for a while, and then, maybe be allowed to use an Iaito(blunt edged sword) once they have gained some control in their training. A live blade might be allowed after about 5 years or so, of consistant training and practice in the dojo. The sensei will give the permission if he/she thinks the student is ready.

You really have NO excuse not to be in a dojo. Australia has lots of JSA available. Had you done a search here, you'd have found some of the dojos I have found for people and, stuff others have found for others as well. There is Kendo all over Australia, and there is Iaido too.

For Kendo, please go to the Australian Kendo Renmei and look in your state for a dojo:

http://www.kendoaustralia.asn.au/

On this website, you can also find Iaido, as some Kendo dojo teach Iaido as well.

--------------------

For Koryu JSA such as Iaido and Kenjutsu, please go here:

http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu/dojoguide.html

Please make good use of both these sites and work at finding a dojo.

I really hope these help you. And, please no complaining about a drive.
                                If you want it bad enough, you will get to the dojo, even if you only can go once a month.

Well, since I am at a library right now, I need to sign off. My own computer is down. *sigh*

I would like to hear back, what you found. I'd normally ask your location to help you, but I really do not have time to do the regular searching I do, so that is why I gave you these sites.

So, PLEASE stop using that sword and get into a real dojo. I don't want you hurt!

Good luck,

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
                                X