Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Kansai area Iaidoka?

Greetings, everyone.

I'm new to the forums, so I'll give a brief intro for those curious.
    I'm a Canadian currently living abroad (Osaka, Japan), and plan to stay here for a few years at the least.
    I'm also a new student to Eishen-Ryu Iai (although I studied ju-jutsu back in Canada for many years), and can see myself studying this art for a long, long time.... as well as possibly Kendo and Kyudo in the future.

Anyways, I'd be interested in meeting/talking to any other Iaidoka (or any budo students, for that matter) in the Kansai region, if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

you just missed me as I have just got back to the UK... I visited quite a few dojo in the area, so if you are interested in finding some iaido dojo let me know. (all MJER BTW.. but one had Toyama ryu in at the same time). Richie112 is around for a few weeks at the moment, he may reply to this when he sees it.

Comment

Ahh, sorry to hear that. You're going to miss Gion Matsuri!

Anyways, no worries on the dojo. I hit upon visiting Osaka's International House about a month and a half ago, and they were more than willing to help me find several dojos in the area.
      Since then, I've been studying under sensei Akio Okada here (Abeno ward in Osaka).

Thanks for the offer, though!

Comment

HI thereJust letting you know that I live in Osaka and practice Iaido here. If you want to get in touch just send me a message.

I also practice Eishinryu at a dojo in Awaza 3 stops from Namba.

Cheers and welcome to Japan

Comment

Our dojo recently had a student move to Osaka. He's continuing his MJER training there. Which branch are you in? (ZNIR/Seitokai, Jikishinkai, ZNKR, Komei Jyuku?) Send me an email and I'll see if I can get you in touch with him. mahan@mailblocks.com
          Last edited by Charles Mahan; 20th July 2005, 11:34 PM.

Comment

you guys know Isshikki sensei in Osaka? (nanadan ZNKR) Amazing teacher, no way could I even copy him, six days with him has given me enough for two years practise....

Comment

No sorry I don't know him off hand.

I belong to the "Dai Nippon Iaido renmei" not affiliated with any kendo federation I'm afraid.

Comment

Never heard of that sensei either, but then again I've only been practicing for a month, and don't even know everyone's name in my own dojo

Kansai_Ronin - Awaza, very nice. I live at Sakuragawa, so 2 stops away from you, but I train down at Abeno (3 stops east, then 3 more south of Namba) at the sports center there. Wish I'd known about Awaza's dojo a month or 2 ago, but then again, I have no complaints about the current dojo and Iai crew either, they've been great.

Charles_Mahan - unsure on that one. All I know is that it's Eishen Ryu, but unsure what affiliations they have. Still a bit of a language barrier there, so I'll let you know once I figure out how to ask!
                They hosted a martial arts demonstration in Abeno in Osaka about 3 weeks ago, though, so I'd assume they're affiliated with some organization. Stay tuned!

Comment

I'm afraid I'm a little out of the loop. If you know who's heading your branch, that might help pin it down. Ikeda-soke(whose dojo happens to be in Osaka) is leading the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei/Seitokai branch of MJER. Miura-sensei(not sure of his location) is leading the Jikishinkai branch, and Sekiguchi-sensei(who I believe is HQ'd in Chiba) is leading the Komei Jyuku/Yamauchi-ha branch. If it's not one of those three it could be a lineage that's attached to the Zen Nippon Kendo Renmei.

I know it's all terribly confusing. If I had to hazard a guess based on your location, I'd put you either in the ZNIR/Seitokai branch under Ikeda-soke or in one of the ZNKR branches. I'm afraid I don't know much about the Dai Nippon Iaido Renmei schools.

Comment

Guys in Kansai

Well gentlemen since we all live relativley close to one another, why don't we try to catch up one day for a chat about Iai or whatever, would love to meet others we a similar interst.

Let me know

Comment

Well I believe only you and Aramis are there in Osaka. I'm in Texas, and chidokan is in the UK, although he seems to visit occasionally. If I were to visit Japan, it would likely be Chiba where our parent dojo is, or Kyoto for the annual gathering during Golden Week.

Comment

So is that a date for golden week then for next year?
                        I usually am close to Nishinomiya (Kyoto) when I go over, but may be based at Himeji next time as I have been promised a tour of the 'Last Samurai' locations by one of the extras.

Comment

If I do make it over there, I'll definitely send you a message in advance. Don't know how much free time I'll have, but I'm sure we can work something out. It is still a little iffy due to some health issues my wife is having. Hard to make plans that far in the future. Especially with the cost of healthcare really putting the squeeze on us. If there is any way possible, I'm planning to be there around the time of the Golden Week festivities in Kyoto.

Comment

Well, Osaka, Kyoto, and Himeji are all fairly close. Each about an hour - 1.5hr train ride from eachother. Not a huge obstacle to overcome if we ever decide to meet up.

As for my style - I did some further asking today, and apparently it's not Eishen Ryu, it's Enshin Ryu (never realized there was a difference)- an older style that's not as big/popular as the newer style. However, it's also supposedly one of the more traditional forms of Iai (what they called "kobudo", or "old warrior way" - what they used to practice 400 years ago).
                            I'm not sure what affiliations they have, but there are 3 groups in Osaka I know of (Abeno, Umeda, and another out towards Kobe), as well as a branch in Himeji, one in Nara, and another in Kyoto, as well as many more further afield.

Wish I could give more information - I seriously need to bring a translator one of these lessons to get the full details!

Anyways, I'd be up for a Golden Week meeting if we decide to.
                            Still a long ways off, though.

In other news, my sensei today decided my 2.45 shaku Iaito was just a tad too small, so he had me trying out a 30inch blade (~2.5 shaku, maybe a tad longer).
                            Man, that thing's difficult to draw from a kneeling position... I couldn't even imagine trying a Musashi sized sword.

Comment

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu is around 450 years old, if you trace it all the way back to the founder, Hayashizaki Jinsuke Minamoto Shigenobu.

If I do make it, and have the time(I expect to be a very busy boy if I do make it over there), we'll have to cook something up.

Comment

Working...
                              X