X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which bokken

For an absolute beginer in Iaido like myself , which bokken and saya would people suggest ?, there are lots out there but im thinking somthing pritty cheap to start with
    Thanx

Oh well, you might check kendoshop.com for bokken and saya for less than fifteen US dollars. That'll do until you buy an Iaiyo.

Comment

a bit of quality

The temptation is to get the bottom of the line. Don't do it. They are cheap because the wood is too light (25 years ago, an economy model was worth owning - not any more). And the result is that you will begin to develop some bad habits from the start.

Get something that is one or two steps up from the bottom at least. And that's just if you are going to be doing solo forms.

If you are going to be doing any paired forms, especially if there is contact, get something with substance. Hickory is a fine substitute to Japanese "white oak."

kingfisherwoodwork.com was producing a line of bokken in hickory.
      Last edited by R A Sosnowski; 27th February 2003, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I would say a Bokken from www.ninecircles.co.uk is a good place to start. A little expensive but well worth the money (but you won't pay any import tax). They also sell a plastic saya that is compatible with some of the bokken in their range.

Comment

**bows** and thanx

Comment

yeah
            the bk-1 daito from nine circles is a nice good quality bokken

for a saya just go to a golf shop and get a 30p plastic golf tube and cut it down to size-it works well

Comment

Originally posted by rottunpunk
              yeah
              the bk-1 daito from nine circles is a nice good quality bokken

for a saya just go to a golf shop and get a 30p plastic golf tube and cut it down to size-it works well

u can only get things there if u live in that area....but i live in the US so that wont do me any good

Comment

Sources in North America

Originally posted by jennC
                u can only get things there if u live in that area....but i live in the US so that wont do me any good
                Try:

http://www.bogubag.com/Swords/Bokutoh/bokutoh.html

http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page14.html

http://www.e-bogu.com/kendo-weapon-bokuto.html

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_stdweapons.htm

I would stay away from the "red oak" versions (see previous post in this thread).

HTH.

Comment

Anybody tried bokkenshop.com? Lots of options for swordlike pieces of wood.

Comment

u can only get things there if u live in that area....but i live in the US so that wont do me any good"
                    Nine circles do deliver to the US. email them and they should be able to sort you out.

cheers.

Comment

roar: I used the bokken shop ...... it took a few months to reach me and about 12 emails to remind them. They are apart of Tozando and so their customer service and reliability are a bit touch and go, some people have a good experiance and others not ... luck of the draw I guess. There are other suppliers I would consider first.

I have used here and recommend them http://www.eurobogu.net/map.php

Comment

How come no-one has suggested making your own? You can pick the wood and theres something good about using a bokken you made yourself! I'm just finishing one off in English ash... grain is beautiful but this is for iaido, not bashing with. For that my next one is going to be made of willow, (using the theory that cricket bats take a hell of an impact and dont break) Have done a few different woods now, I quite fancy doing one in birdseye maple, should look good.

Comment

Make my own bokken ....... If my wood work lessons from school were anything to go by I would dread to think what it would look like (perhaps the chest of draws I was supposed to be making ).

Comment

its actually quite easy...copy one you like onto a flat board of the wood of your choice, cut it out roughly with a jigsaw, use a router to add the general shape, then use a plane to finish. Takes me about two hours to get it nearly right, and a further hour to get a nice finish with the plane. Don't use sandpaper though as it clogs the grain and spoils the final finish. bit of linseed oil and its done.
                            Unless of course you're afraid of sharp objects...

Comment

Working...
                            X