Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why does every japanese teacher like to come on the same weekend in August? Is there a special MA flight they all get??!!! Looks like we have Iwata sensei for EXACTLY the same date!
    The venue seems to be related to DNBK, I remember we had a visitor from there a couple of years ago who joined up due to Morinaka sensei's encouragement. He's very genuine so that would definitely be worth going to.
    I've trained with Mano sensei before, he's really keen just like Iwata sensei and good teacher, so i'll try to make it if there are any days left after my teacher goes home..

Tim Hamilton

p.s. having a wife is a perk??? You could go to Japan for longer without one as you'd have more money...

Comment

yeah but no wife no tea waiting when you get in from work

Comment

I can only say what I've been taught and thats that iaido and kendo should be done at the same time.

Comment

I just started studying both kendo and iaido, and I haven't had any problems. When I begin kendo practice with mokuso I clear my mind of all things not related to kendo. That includes iaido. When practice is over i go home and then I focus on one thing at a time. Just concentrate, and it will be okay.

Comment

I have looked at studying iai this year, but after careful consideration, i think i will stick to the first three kata in seitei using my bokken for a few more years before i commit to anything. Besides my kendo no kata could always use the extra attention

Comment

Speaking of starting Iaido...

When do you need an Iaito? (I mean approx. how many months if you start from nothing?)

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                Speaking of starting Iaido...

When do you need an Iaito? (I mean approx. how many months if you start from nothing?)
                if you can afford it, buy a iaito as soon as possible. No reason to stumble around with a iaito for more than a couple of months. I dont know your national rules, we have only four kyu-grades, and i think it is possible do do yonkyu with bokuto, after that you have to use iaito with sageo, and dress properly, with hakama, keikogi and iai-obi. Most clubs have spare iaitos for beginners. it all depends on depth of commitment(and wallet).

Comment

Hi ROAR, regarding yondan and bokken, are you refering to MJER or ZNKR-Seitei??

Thanks,
                  David.

Comment

Originally posted by Nishi
                    Hi ROAR, regarding yondan and bokken, are you refering to MJER or ZNKR-Seitei??

Thanks,
                    David.
                    Not fourth dan but fourth kyu.

grading in a znkr-context

Comment

I did mean 4rth KYU honest. ..I hear these kata can be standing as well....is this accurate?

Comment

I did mean 4rth KYU honest. ..I hear these kata can be standing as well....is this accurate?
                        It is a matter of some discussion in GB, I know. As it is now, you can grade doing only standing seitei-gata, if you have a medical condition so you cant sit in seiza. I know people have graded up to nidan and sandan doing only standing forms.

Comment

I will specify a bit, from my latest experience at Ishido senseis seminar in Brighton. For every grade, there was some katas that were set, and some that were optional. If the set kata was sitting forms(suwari-wasa), you could choose any standing form instead. Standing versions of sitting forms were not accepted. Torei also standing of course, in a manner that was shown on the seminar.
                          I did sitting and standing, and the girl on my left only standing. We were just as successful. Both failed ;D This shit is getting harder and harder. I am just too stupid and stubborn to quit this silly sword-thing. Dont ever start.

Comment

Originally posted by chidokan
                            That 'looking down on the other one' Ive found is common to both. Some kendo guys I used to practise with would NOT try iaido as they thought they wouldnt get anything out of it. Shame to be narrow minded though.
                            The best thing to do is do one for a while and then look at the other. I cant remember how long I did kendo first for exactly but probably about a year...

Tim Hamilton

p.s. no cracks about my age rottunpunk...or I'll eat your easter eggs.
                            What's more, in my experience they both tend to look down on the other with the same argument! Kendoka will say "Iaido is really more of an art thing", with negative emphasis on "art" as if to say that iaido is all about fancy details and doesn't have any practical application or isn't physical enough. Conversely, iaidoka will say "Iaido is really more of an art thing", with positive emphasis on "art" as if to suggest that they're somehow better than kendoka (and, of course, we are j/k) because they focus more on mental discipline and precision. It's kind of amusing that they both say pretty much the same thing with different meanings

Comment

Mixing styles is a bit tricky.

Been training Iaido for a while and also training Aikido weapons. They work with bokken and some do strange things (not sensei, who is totally awesome, but many who should know better) like wrap left hand right around *blade*, handle blade with two hands for passing. Am very glad I train with iaito.Big difference in person-weapon relationship.

Know for certain - adjusting from one style to another takes work! One thing for sure - no comparing one to the other in a better-than, lesser-than way. Each is awesome. Cannot take one into another dojo.

The good thing that I've learned, after eight years training in one specific art, was breaking open seemingly set body-patterns.

Comment

Working...
                              X