X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sageo Practicality

I've heard that the sageo is knotted in cases of formality only, and that it is "Casually" tied with a single knot as it drapes down. Due to the constant tying and re-tying with its placement in the obi, it would seem less practical (If not difficult) to repeatedly tie the more complicated patterns. Yet a long, dangling cord seems quite the inconvenience as well.

So for regular use (Home practice, for instance), how do you hang your sageo?

Originally posted by Iryoku
    I've heard that the sageo is knotted in cases of formality only, and that it is "Casually" tied with a single knot as it drapes down. Due to the constant tying and re-tying with its placement in the obi, it would seem less practical (If not difficult) to repeatedly tie the more complicated patterns. Yet a long, dangling cord seems quite the inconvenience as well.

Hm, I don't get you. Do you mean for storage or for when it is worn? I tie mine in a simple slipknot in my himo when wearing it, as was shown to me by my sensei. For storage I tie it in a half-hitch at the opposite end of the saya to keep it from flopping around. No formal knots at all. If you are talking about those fancy knots you see in pictures - mine had one when I got it a year ago, but hasn't seen one since and never will.

Hank.

Comment

The same way sensei ties his.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank
        Hm, I don't get you. Do you mean for storage or for when it is worn? I tie mine in a simple slipknot in my himo when wearing it, as was shown to me by my sensei. For storage I tie it in a half-hitch at the opposite end of the saya to keep it from flopping around. No formal knots at all. If you are talking about those fancy knots you see in pictures - mine had one when I got it a year ago, but hasn't seen one since and never will.

Hank.
        That is precisely what I was asking, thank you. It seemed strange to me that one would tie those fancy knots so often, I was just wondering how the dangling, untied sageo was dealt with during a more casual practice session.

My question may be strange because it should be something obvious to an iaidoka. However, while I take a great interest in Iaido, the closest schools are in Toronto (I believe), an hour away from where I live. The recent rise in gas prices don't help a lot, either.

Comment

Where are you located? as there are dojos all around Toronto.

Comment

I live in Waterloo. The closest establishment I'm aware of is the University of Waterloo Kendo Club, which (Aside from being Kendo, not Iaido) gave me the impression of needing to attend the university to join.
            Last edited by Iryoku; 10th September 2005, 09:25 PM.

Comment

If I'm not very much mistaken you're a stone's throw from Guelph and Kim Taylors excellent Iai program.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/

This is one of the better programs in Canada.

Comment

Exactly the same way I do in the dojo. Much of iai practice is repetition, paying a great deal of attention to the minor details of the practice. Being able to dress, wear your sword and tie the sageo is as much a part of the practice as making a cut.

Ask kendoka whether it is important that the men/do/kote/tare himo are tied correctly or whether you can do a shortcut if practicing at home... then take cover...

Comment

The "fancy knot" that new swords have is actually a 'storage' knot, meant to be done when the sword will not be used for a long period of time. That is, if I understood correctly the question and we are talking about something like this:

At this link is the step by step for tying that knot.

Personally, when wearing the sword the sageo goes as the style says. If doing Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu, swung over the saya and falling at the back, free. If doing Seitei iai, tied at the right himo with a small slipknot (easy to put, easy to take out). Whether Im home or at the dojo, thats the way I do it.

When not wearing the sword or having it in the hand (occasion when the sageo is held by the thumb or the pinky, according to the style), then its simply tied at the end of the saya.

Cheers!

Comment

Sageo when not in use

At our dojo we tie the sageo to prevent the sword from falling out of the saya. The following picture shows the method:

http://home.comcast.net/~wiltek/Picture3.jpg

Comment

I meant no disrespect, or to imply that Iaido is laid back, hence my quotations around "Casual". I am aware that it heavily stresses a meticulous elegance, one of the primary reasons I respect it so much.

I was not aware of the school in Guelph, so I am very grateful for your reference. I will certainly find out if I am capable of attending (I am younger, so driving is not always a sufficient option).

I appreciate all replies and am very hopeful to join. Thank you very much.

Comment

when wearing mine- i just tuck the end in to my obi, just to the side of the bellybutton.
                        that makes it mor accessable when i need to tye some heads on it-hehe.

Comment

Guelph

I meant no disrespect, or to imply that Iaido is laid back, hence my quotations around "Casual". I am aware that it heavily stresses a meticulous elegance, one of the primary reasons I respect it so much.

I was not aware of the school in Guelph, so I am very grateful for your reference. I will certainly find out if I am capable of attending (I am younger, so driving is not always a sufficient option).

I appreciate all replies and am very hopeful to join. Thank you very much.
                          Anytime you'd like to come out to Guelph and take part in an iaido class just let me know. We'll be more than happy to have you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ojiisan
                            At our dojo we tie the sageo to prevent the sword from falling out of the saya. The following picture shows the method:

http://home.comcast.net/~wiltek/Picture3.jpg
                            It must be a real bitch for practicing nukitsuke with...

Comment

Actually, it is a storage knot..... Since there was a question about the formal knot when not in use....

Comment

Working...
                              X