Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored of seeing the "Calendar" thread in the jodo section

Aren't you?

Let's talk about the proliferation in thick jo's over the sleeker versions which are much better for SMR/Seitei jodo.

Wodjafinkisgoinon?

What is a thick jo? I assume you don't mean those 1 1/2 inch wide karate jo (source of much embarasment to me at my second ever seitei seminar - my normal dimension jo had warped a bit so I brought along a karate jo for the first day... sensei was not amused and threw it away).

My current Sakura jo's look to be a tiny bit (maybe 1 mm at most, probably less) wider than most of the other genuine Japanese jo in the club and a little bit heavier.

I like the weight, though it is still nowhere near as heavy as an old Rembukan jo with 50 years of sweat in it. It is however definitely both narrower and heavier than the cheaper (non Japanese) jo in the dojo - I assume the Taiwanese oak is less dense or something.

Aden

Comment

Thick as in 16/16th inch as opposed to about 15/16 inch I suspect... I prefer the latter, and I prefer a really light one. With 245 pounds to put behind it I don't need a lot of weight in the jo to move a sword.

But there's been a tradition of aikido jo around at 1 1/16 inch for a very long time and most beginners also like heavier woods since it's easier to smack the jo aside with the weight of the jo.

Just some observations from a fellow who sells them and uses them.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Back to metric, there's a lot between sleeker thinner (usual in Japan) 24mm, and the thicker 27mm Jo - my apologies I can't comprehend inches measurements let along fractions...

As to weight, some aikido friends waved theirs & I had a go, they were SO heavy, like lumps of lead but I am reminded aiki people are holding on to the jo one end, when invariably a person is holding on the other end being thrown. so it needs to be strong and Jodo is thus quite different in techniques.

As to suppliers, well they have something to sell, they need to sell to the max audience, may be why we're seeing only 27mm thicker size as the "norm" - but definately 24mm is available, but some effort may be required buying this size rather than the standard thick/aiki style one (unless you're in Japan when both 24 & 27 seem to be more commonly available). Here you have to pointedly ask/check.

Personally I just want to be allowed to paint it
        Last edited by Budo Angel; 2nd June 2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel
          Personally I just want to be allowed to paint it
          No need. Just give Playwell a call...

http://www.playwell.co.uk/store/acatalog/joprism.jpg

Comment

ScottUK - laugh out loud...don't show my sempai

Comment

He's probably got one hidden for secret ninjer keiko at the bottom of his garden...

Comment

Prismatic jo's

What do you think I've been doing all day today. Can't wait to get the stars 'n' stripes jo that I've ordered.

Speaking seriously for a change, I am a bit frustrated with the lack of access to good quality, light and light oak jo. They all seem to be telegraph poles at the moment and highly polished or varnished to boot. They are impossible to use quickly and all the forms end up being clunky. Even the Eurobogu ones are a little bit on the heavy side.

One of our dojo members had an ultralight jo from years back and it was very interesting to use. It had very little momentum and you could feel all the impacts against the sword. It really showed you where control was lacking though as it would react to any slight flinches of movement.

Comment

What about the big suppliers - can't they get you something decent? How about Koei or Aoi?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK
                    He's probably got one hidden for secret ninjer keiko at the bottom of his garden...
                    Like you could hide one of those.

Comment

Yes, I am tired of seeing the Calender thread. Thanks for reviving the Jodo section.

I recently made a mistake upon buying a new Jo while in Japan. I was rushed and although I checked it was straight I didn't notice it was thicker than a usual Jo, but not one of those huge Aikido Jo's. This one is 24mm. Anyway, I persisted with it ever since and I must say that I really like the extra weight of it now. I have been doing Jodo for about one year now so maybe it is a beginner thing but for now I am happy with the thicker Jo.

Comment

24mm is 15/16 inch.

Originally posted by ScottUK
                        What about the big suppliers - can't they get you something decent? How about Koei or Aoi?
                        Well I'm holding a pro-budo 24mm (15/16) shiro kashi jo in my hand right now.

It's what we sell as a jodo jo through sdksupplies.com and have been for quite a while now.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Aden

My current Sakura jo's look to be a tiny bit (maybe 1 mm at most, probably less) wider than most of the other genuine Japanese jo in the club and a little bit heavier.
                          Is it actually made from Sakura or is this a name of the make or something?? Isn't Sakura, Cherry Blossom??

Comment

Sakura is a shop near the Tokyo Budokan - their bokken and jo are recognisable by the logo on the end, because of the convenient location their jo are relatively common (in my limited circle of acquaintance anyway). It is all normal white oak gear, not cherry blossom wood - have to ask a wood aware person like Kim Taylor if cherry could be used at all, given the Japanese cherry blossom tree looks all gnarly to me....

The range of jo that unaware (or just evil minded) shops (especially here in Australia) sell jodo people seems endless, one beginner in our the dojo was sold a tapered jo, @ 27 or 28 mm in the middle and narrower than usual at the ends - as you would expect it did not work well for our purposes, and my first genuine japanese jo while correct in dimension turned out to be varnished, wound up sanding it back to try and stop it sticking on humid days.

Aden

Comment

Ooohh - just went into the Playwell link listed earlier - most of their jo are tapered / toothpick / diameter length varies...... amazing, you can get a 1 inch centre diameter tapering to 1/2 inch (from @ 24 to 12 mm for metric people) in prismatic red blue silver or gold....

Comment

Working...
                              X