Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojos?

Hello,
    Does anybody here know of any dojos/schools/clubs that teach Jodo in the eastern U.S? Or if you know of a website directory, that would be helpful to. Since I only know that Jodo involves using a "stick", could someone please provide a basic overview of Jodo for me, (i.e. differences to kendo, etc.)
    Thanks,
    W.W.

Contact Rick Pollard at the Sword Store. He teaches Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido and also teaches Jodo. Rick is in Maryland and has the Rembukan dojo. My apologies for any misinformation.

Comment

Hello,
      Thanks for that info. Jerry, however I should've been more specific. Do you know of any Dojos/schools in Virginia? Also a website w/ a list of Dojos would help me out (if there are any Jodo dojos in VA that is.).
      Thanks,
      W.W.

Comment

How much closer do you want? Jodo is quite rare. Contact Rick, he'll know what's happening in your area if anything.

Comment

Hello,
          Yeah, i'm kinda pickin up on the rarity of Jodo round these parts! I really am unable to drive all the way up to maryland once a week, and any less practice w/ something like Jodo and i'd never make headway! Guess i'll try and get ahold of Rick. Thanks for the help guys.
          W.W.

Comment

MD Jodo

Consider looking up the Maryland Jodo Society, located in Frederick, MD.

There is also Jodo at the Washington Kendo Club in Columbia, MD.

Rick Polland is probably the best known Jodo instructor in MD -- I studied with him for six and a half years.

HTH.
            Last edited by R A Sosnowski; 6th June 2003, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Mid-Atlantic Jodo

By the end of the year or thereabouts, there should be one or two more SMR Jodo Dojo in the Greater DC Metro area (Central MD, Northern VA) according to some well-trained people who have been in touch with me privately. Stay tuned.

Comment

Try:

Roma Patrykus, Aikido 5th Dan
                Hyattsville, Maryland
                (301) 864-6979

or
                Philidelphia Judo and Aikido
                John J. Disimone lll , Yondan
                1425 Arch Street, Center City YMCA
                215-888-4354
                PHILLYJUDO@AOL.COM

or

David Szerensci - Aikido
                Richfield, Ohio
                (216) 659-6985

and

Springfield Community Schools Aikido
                Adolph A. Pezoldt, Aikido 7th Dan, Jodo 4th Dan, Judo 4th Dan
                South High School, 700 S. Limestone Street, Springfield, Ohio 45505
                937-399-5653
                fax (937) 399-5653
                adolph@erinet.com

and lastly

UNC Charlotte Aikido Club & Seven Owl Dojo Tom Cohen, Aikido Sandan Charlotte, NC (704) 563-8845 http://makotomha.homestead.com/charlotteaikido1.html Makoto333@Iwon.com
                My main art is Aikido, and all of these schools are associated with our organization. Fugakukai Int.....I study Jodo along with Kendo. Whether or not all of these schools have a Jodo cirriculum I don't know...but it won't hurt to contact them.

If they do then they teach Shindo Muso Ryu style....it's really fun.

Next to my bokken, my Jo stick is my favorite weapon....feel like Cane from Kung Fu......

Best wishes
                John

Comment

Does anyone know if theres a dojo in Alaska? Probably not but my btother really wants to know.
                  thanks

Comment

Whoops...missed the fact that this was the Jodo thread - sorry!
                    Last edited by Paikea; 16th November 2004, 09:56 AM. Reason: Whoops...missed the fact that this was the Jodo thread - sorry!

Comment

Working...
                    X