Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jodo kata

Hi All,

Long time reader first time poster )

I have just recently went to see an Iai/Jo school, which I intend on joining in the very near future. As I was watching though, I noticed when they were doing Kata their partner had a Bokuto.

My question is do you learn the Bokuto side of the Kata as part of Jodo training or is that taught in Iaido?

Cheers,
    Drew

It is part of the jodo training.... learning to be a good uchidachi is an essential part of jo.

Aden

Comment

Hi Aden,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
      Drew

Comment

The sword side or uchidachi should always be of a higher level. They give of themselves in order for the shidachi or jo side to improve.

The uchidachi set the scene as it were for the shidachi.

Here is a nice article on just this topic:

http://koryu.com/library/tnishioka1.html

Comment

Hi Tim,

Great Article thanks. I am joining in my first class tonight; though I am not ready for above techniques, it has given me a good idea at understanding what the kata are all about.

Thanks
          Drew

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Atkinson
            The sword side or uchidachi should always be of a higher level. They give of themselves in order for the shidachi or jo side to improve.
            ...and vice versa...if shidachi is the more experienced jodoka, they can help the newbie with their jo technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Nakura
              ...and vice versa...if shidachi is the more experienced jodoka, they can help the newbie with their jo technique.
              And that way the senior side ends up with all the bruises! (So as not to chase away the newbies...)

Comment

Where is the point in not getting some bruises, takes the fun out of training. Besides you won't do it again if you get a bruise from it.

Comment

Err.. not what seitei's about, buddy. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (not all that uncommon) but isn't seitei for both jo and iai about precision and accuracy? And you don't want to make contact with wooden weapons. Ask anyone who started out as a backyard samurai idiot teenager.

Comment

ofcourse, made the above comments in jest. I certainly wouldnt like any bokuto or Jo hitting me on the head

Comment

Sorry, sorry. Trouble with written type. It can be hard to know when someone's joking around

Comment

Working...
                      X