Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highest ranking Jo practicier in states and abroad.

Hello;
    Can any one tell whom is the highest ranked Jodo sensei in states and whom is in other countries (Japan).
    Thanks .
    Herb

Well if you are interested in Shinto Muso-ryu Jodo in the USA then there is Phil Relnick Sensei. He is Menkyo Kaiden in both SMR and Katori Shinto-ryu and is the latters official representative in the USA.

Then outside of the States we have Pascal Krieger Sensei in Switzerland. He is a Menkyo Kaiden of SMR-Jodo. In Japan there are numerous Menkyo Kaiden of SMR-Jodo. We have Kaminoda Tsunemori Sensei in Tokyo, Nishioka Tsuneo Sensei...also in Tokyo I believe but dont quote me on that.

There are of course several other high-rankers in Japan from the Tokyo and Fukuoka-line of Jodo, but I cant name them all personally. Someone here can fill in the blanks.

Comment

And of course, it is a little complicated to discuss "highest" inasmuch as there are several koryu lineages (along with the kendo renmei) from which one might have obtained ranking.

John

Comment

Can any one tell whom is the highest ranked Jodo sensei in states and whom is in other countries (Japan).
        Herb,
        Why do you ask?
        There is an underlying question here.
        This may be the wrong question for the information you are seeking.

Eric

Comment

Eric;
          Hey man ,how are you good i hope ,i don't have a underlying question or thought i just would like a chance to study naginata ,jo, and other arts to round out karate -do and kendo- i currently have added tomiki aikido and kodokan judo to my plate they comp my kendo and karate very well anyway thanks for your replies buddy hope to hear from you again soon friend.
          Herb

Comment

Znkr

The highest ranking practising jodoka in the ZNKR is Namitome sensei. I believe Matsui is next then Yano.

Comment

in states and whom is in other countries (Japan)
              ...er Andy, didn't guy say - "other" countries, except JAPAN (hence the brackets ?)...

...and for those of us who aren't states...whats this ? 8 or 9th dan ??
              Menkyo Kaiden

Comment

Menkyo Kaiden is aknowlegement of complete transmission of the art - nothing to do with dan grades from the ZNKR / IJF / other miscellaneous organisation etc - it is the highest level of Shinto Muso Ryu practitioner given the absence of a recognised head.

A list of the classical levels is at http://www.shindo-muso-ryu.org/. While the MK I have trained with or seen have 7th dan or higher as well as their MK, there are plenty of of 7d and 8d from the ZNKR who do not have MK.

Aden

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel
                  ...er Andy, didn't guy say - "other" countries, except JAPAN (hence the brackets ?)...

...and for those of us who aren't states...whats this ? 8 or 9th dan ??

Err nope. To me "other countries (Japan)" means including Japan and not including the States. Who's bloody English here anyway???

Comment

Herb I would respectfully submit that you've got lots to study right now, but if you want to sample jodo with some top instructors, we are working on getting Namitome sensei to come back this year and visit Guelph in May... if he agrees, that would bring at least 3 menkyo kaiden jodo holders to the same place at one time. Maybe 4, I don't actually know how many of our instructors in the last 5-6 years have held menkyo ranks, but I know we've had at least 6 different menkyo visit, from both Fukuoka and Tokyo in the last 4 years.

The seminar is set for the Canadian Victoria Day weekend from Friday evening to Monday (May 21) evening and we tentatively plan to hold ZNKR iaido gradings to at least 6dan and jodo gradings to at least 5dan.

It will be the 20th anniversary of Sei Do Kai here in Guelph.

Ohio isn't very far from Ontario, Canada.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Taylor sensei:

Taylor sensei;
                      Thank you for your post it is very nice to have some one of your experiance here to chat with ;Yeah i would be interested in seeing jodo at a high dan level you can only expect a aikido -judo student and even a kendo student to ask about jo and it's tech's we have them in aikido and we have them in judo kata as well as sword work in both ,but i can see by your wonderful web site that you are well informed of everything i just wrote so i wish you a very nice new year and look forward to more in depth cocnversations with you .Sincerely friend
                      Herb

Comment

Working...
                      X