X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seitei Jodo in Seattle, Washington

Moving to Seattle, Washington middle of the year... Can anyone give me some leads on any Seitei Jodo clubs around there? I've heard there's not much (if any) Seitei Jodo on the West Coast, just seeing if anyone knows of anything else.

Of course I have spoken to my Sensei as well who is taking a look around.

If you cant get an answer from here I'd recommend asking on E-budo.com.

Comment

There is SMR jo there - Phil Relnick the first English speaking Menkyo Kaiden is based in Seattle as I recall... a level of serious instruction unavailable in Australia more than once or twice a year - but I draw a blank on seitei there.

Aden

Comment

A new sempai at the Seattle Kendo Kai dojo from NY told me that he had practiced Jodo in NY. I could ask him next time I see him if he had started again here. Not sure what kind of Jodo he practiced. Incidentally he said the Iaido here is totally different from what he learned in NY.

Comment

There is no seitei jodo in Seattle.
          As mentioned in previous post, Phil Relnick of Shinto Muso Ryu is based just outside of Seattle, his dojo is in Woodinville I believe. You can find more information about him on Koryu.com. I believe Meik and Dianne Skoss also train with him.

-michael

Comment

Michael Sempai,

I think this is you? I know that Iraj sempai also did Jodo in NY and was looking to restart. Anyhow, I'll ask him next time I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by j.noh View Post
              Michael Sempai,
              I think this is you?
              Hey, June. Yeah, it's me. The slacker who does more kendo online than in the dojo. No need for the 'sempai' stuff. I'm still a beginner working on the same frustrating stuff as you. Besides, it's embarrassing enough when all you guys are wiping the floor with me.

Anyway, I've always been interested in jodo, too, and was disappointed to find that there were no groups practicing seitei jodo within the local kendo federation. I suppose I could strike up a conversation with Relnick-sensei again. I've only met him twice, briefly, and that was years ago.
              Still, at this point in my life with my young family, I don't think I could devote the appropriate effort and commitment to him. (As if he would accept my sorry butt anyway...)

-michael

Comment

It seems there are going to be a few of us who practice (or have practiced) Seitei Jodo up there, but no formal dojo... Once I move up there maybe we could get together sometime and practice a bit? Nothing formal mind you!

Comment

Sempai,

I'm just lucky that I don't have the wife and kids to juggle my time with. Shoot, if I were really serious I'd do some jogging and dieting on the side. I feel that practicing with strong sempai's is the fastest way to get better. Although getting my butt handed to me by Koike sensei every chance I get helps a lot too. Hope to see you on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelm View Post
                    As mentioned in previous post, Phil Relnick of Shinto Muso Ryu is based just outside of Seattle, his dojo is in Woodinville I believe. You can find more information about him on Koryu.com. I believe Meik and Dianne Skoss also train with him.

-michael
                    Yeh Meik and Dianne are his students, though they have their dojo in New Jersey if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Hey Marcus, looks like you're just gonna have to start your own Seitei Jodo over there

And for all those willing to participate - this guy is willing to give one on one training on public holidays

Sorry Marcus, if you're leaving us I have to drop you in it

Comment

... I know narthink!

Comment

I have the photos to prove it!

Comment

O_o

What?! No! I know nothing!

When the heck did you get photos?

Comment

Remember that disposable camera I kept clicking when we were having lunch break? On a public holiday? Whilst you were taking my training? On your day off...?

Yes guys, it's true.

Comment

Working...
                              X