X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torashin View Post
    A quote from one of Nishioka Senseis' intereviews from jodojo.com "In SMR Jo, Hiki-otoshi is one of the hidden techniques"
    link: http://www.jodojo.com/jodo01.html

Again this is my view but I always feel that Hiki otoshi has all the parts present in Honte uchi but with a little bit more added. If that makes sense.

That's me.
    Indeed, considering further that it - or waza much like it - appears in nearly every kata. Probably means something, or so I'm told ...

John

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus_P View Post
      Really depends on the organisation, I believe.

In Australia (WA at least, and provided you have the grading panel), there's a minimum of three months between kyu grades (starting at 4th kyu).

Then between 1st kyu to Shodan a 6th month wait, then Shodan to Nidan 1 year, Nidan to Sandan 2 years, Sandan to Yondan 3 years, etc. etc.

Note these are MINIMUM times between gradings - if you're not ready it's perfectly fine to wait longer.

As for requirements... If I'm not mistaken Kyu grades are by organisation, though Dan grades are pretty standard internationally?

In Australia:
      Kyu Grades:
      4th - first four tandoku
      3rd - first eight tandoku + first kata
      2nd - all twelve tandoku + kata 1, 2
      1st - kata 1, 2, 3

Then Dan Grades:
      Shodan: Kata 1-5
      Nidan: Kata 2-6
      Sandan: Kata 3-7

I believe Yondan changes to Kata 7-11, and Godan 8-12? I know it's not 4-8, it jumps, but I can't remember what number it jumps to. I think 7+...
      Excellent info there. Thats more than I knew..or at least remember. :P
      There is no 5th kyu in Seitei Jodo?

I would return the favour and post the SMR-Jodo equivelant of the above info, but to tell the truth I'm not THAT familiar with how long you are supposed to wait between grades. We only grade once a year here in our dojo in any case unless we go to Gasshuku & camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
        We only grade once a year here in our dojo in any case unless we go to Gasshuku & camps.
        Hi Fred

I didn't realise that you didn't grade outside of Gasshuku. Is a general rule for your group or is it because of the level you're at perhaps?

Are you going to the Kagami Biraki in january?

Cheers

Comment

Hi Fred

I didn't realise that you didn't grade outside of Gasshuku. Is a general rule for your group or is it because of the level you're at perhaps?

Are you going to the Kagami Biraki in january?

Cheers
          Not quite, I think I expressed myself a bit vague there. In our dojo we grade once a year excluding the times we go on Gasshuku. Long before my time it was decided to hold the grading during the local SMR-camp we hold in Sweden every year. Fred Quant (who I think you met at the Gasshuku) comes to Sweden every year as a guest-instructor for this mini-camp and he is part of the grading-panel. Oh, you can read the report from the 2007 years mini-camp here, written by yours truly . Thats our main grading session per year excluding Gasshuku.

I'm afraid I wont be able to make it to the January Camp. The kagamibiraki is a very fun weekend, but its also a very expensive weekend and I need to keep my cash on a leash right now. I went last year though and it was great fun.

All the best!

Comment

Hi Fred

Sounds like it was a great course, is it the same time each year?

If so I'll have to look into flights for next year or something.

Also did Sten-Erik get the DVD's from Prague? I think it was Fred and Serge who demonstrated Omote in prague.

CU Soon

Cheers

Comment

Hi Fred

Sounds like it was a great course, is it the same time each year?

If so I'll have to look into flights for next year or something.

Also did Sten-Erik get the DVD's from Prague? I think it was Fred and Serge who demonstrated Omote in prague.

CU Soon

Cheers
              In 2008 the kagamibiraki will take place 4th to 6th January. in Geneva
              You can check the "Calendar"-section on the European Jodo Federation website for the dates of this and other camps. It is updated on a regular basis.

Oh, I still haven't heard from Sten-Erik yet about the DVD's. He lives in a different part of the country and I got the impression that his work gets the better part of his time. I'm gonna get in touch with him soon though.

Comment

In 2008 the kagamibiraki will take place 4th to 6th January. in Geneva
                You can check the "Calendar"-section on the European Jodo Federation website for the dates of this and other camps. It is updated on a regular basis.
                Hi again Fred

I meant is your seminar on the same time each year, not Kagamibiraki

Thanks anyway

Comment

Hi again Fred

I meant is your seminar on the same time each year, not Kagamibiraki

Thanks anyway
                  Oh..hehe. My bad. Well the Swedish Annual camp is in March..Other than that we havent nailed it down to a specific weekend for various reasons. We generally follow Fred Quants scheduele. Interested in joining us next year mate? I cant speak for Michael of course but I cant think of a reason why you cant train with us.

Comment

HI Fred

Possibly, not sure about flights though. You are a bit far off the beaten track from what I can see. Where's your nearest airport?

CU L8R

Comment

HI Fred

Possibly, not sure about flights though. You are a bit far off the beaten track from what I can see. Where's your nearest airport?

CU L8R
                      Well we do have an airport in our city but the name isn't "stersunds Airport" but "re/stersunds Airport". So if you check the official SAS website (in english) for instance it will be labelled: "Are Ostersund".

Comment

Cheers Fred

Check your PM's

CU L8R

Comment

Hi All

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the main thread, but does anyone have any comments regarding Honte/Hikiotoshi and ways of training to improve these gems

Personally I've noticed a difference between the FEJ & Seiteigata todo with the hips & use of the knees. Seitei tends to stay more upright. I think this must be due to it's ties to Kendo perhaps. Though I could be totally wrong here

Cheers

Comment

There is no 5th kyu in Seitei Jodo?
                            Nope. At least not in Australia. I am under the impression that kyu grades differ from country to country? For example, for Iai in Australia we have a 6 kyu system, whereas other countries follow a 3 kyu (or even less than that) system.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Nope. At least not in Australia. I am under the impression that kyu grades differ from country to country? For example, for Iai in Australia we have a 6 kyu system, whereas other countries follow a 3 kyu (or even less than that) system.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
                              In Canada the CKF doesn't really say anything at all about kyu below 1kyu which is the first CKF/national grade level. Dojo are encouraged to do kyu grades but I've never seen any guidelines on where to start or how to grade it.

I believe the Ontario Kendo Federation used to issue kyu grades for Ontario dojo but that hasn't been done for many years to my knowledge.

I get the distinct impression that for most of the country if your club has lots of kids, you do kyu grades, but if you're all adults, grading tends to start at 1kyu. Can't do shodan until you're 14 so you put kyu grades in there instead.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Just realised this was in there...

As for requirements... If I'm not mistaken Kyu grades are by organisation, though Dan grades are pretty standard internationally?

In Australia:
                                Kyu Grades:
                                4th - first four tandoku
                                3rd - first eight tandoku + first kata
                                2nd - all twelve tandoku + kata 1, 2
                                1st - kata 1, 2, 3

Then Dan Grades:
                                Shodan: Kata 1-5
                                Nidan: Kata 2-6
                                Sandan: Kata 3-7

I believe Yondan changes to Kata 7-11, and Godan 8-12? I know it's not 4-8, it jumps, but I can't remember what number it jumps to. I think 7+...

The grading requirements for sandan are changing in Australia - I believe the new requirements as of January 08 nationals will be announced shortly and the current proposal is a change at third dan 3rd Dan to kata 5 to 9 from kata 3 to 7, which combined with the earlier change for 4th dan to kata 7 to 11 from kata 4 to 8 make it a much better progression than the original where there was a disconnect at 5th dan and you could not see the different levels doing the same kata.

Aden

Comment

Working...
                                X