X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very good video of a maki otoshi

A wise dude prolly once said that you can learn about important things in sources you didn't consider....or something like that.

Anyways, the technique Maki otoshi which is found in Jodo is one of the more peculiar and difficult to learn.. Here, in a video-clip I found somewhere, you see a man who makes Maki otoshi look easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAtbfb9i9Mg

What makes this clip different from other jodo-clips is that this man, Chiba Kazuo, is actually a 8th Dan Aikikai (aikido). Although he performs the maki otoshi with a sword against another sword the principles and execution are mostly the same...And in my opinion this man is an artist! I've never seen a maki otoshi performed this well before.

Take a look at his body when he forces the sword down. You can see the great power and his body barely move an inch..He is perfectly relaxed at all times. This guy is my new hero
    Last edited by Fred27; 16th November 2007, 05:38 AM.

bah. nevermind.
    Last edited by tango; 16th November 2007, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
      bah. nevermind.
      Not sure about this comment You have something better to add perhaps? I noticed you're Kendoka. Perhaps you have a Kendo slant on it. Or perhaps you might do Iai and use a sword perhaps

Cheers

Comment

I said originally, "that's not maki-otoshi" but then realized this was in the jodo forum, which I don't pay any attention to...
        So didn't feel like maybe wading into a more in-depth discussion on the topic.

but in any case,

that's not maki-otoshi.
        at least by kendo standards. can't say as far as iaido is concerned... and I don't see that this has anything to do with jodo either.
        you've got two aikido guys using bokken.... but what he's demonstrating is not maki-otoshi.
        Last edited by tango; 17th November 2007, 01:31 AM.

Comment

that's not maki-otoshi.
          at least by kendo standards. can't say as far as iaido is concerned... and I don't see that this has anything to do with jodo either.
          you've got two aikido guys using bokken.... but what he's demonstrating is not maki-otoshi.
          I think Fred points was it's looks like a good version of Maki-otoshi as we see it from Jodo. Re your quote "that's not maki-otoshi. at least by kendo standards". What does Maki-otoshi look like in Kendo? Do you have a link or something?

I think any differences might have something to do with the actual translation itself. I've seen different versions of Tsuki Komi & Iai version & a Kukishinden Ryu version. Who's to say which one is the right one.

One thing I can say is that conceptually there's probably not a lot in it.

Hope this helps friend

Cheers

Comment

To hopefully clear up this misunderstanding, maki otoshi is a 'rolling throw' technique in both kendo and jodo (and I think aikido?). However they are executed very differently; in Jodo the catch and throw is similar to the video above, in Kendo you rotate your shinai in an anticlockwise (usually) direction around the opponent's shinai, whilst applying seme. Then you hit him on the head.

Comment

Cheers Martin

Comment

However they are executed very differently; in Jodo the catch and throw is similar to the video above, in Kendo you rotate your shinai in an anticlockwise (usually) direction around the opponent's shinai, whilst applying seme.
                ... right. I thought maybe they were doing what they would consider maki-otoshi, and knowing that that's not what it is/looks like in kendo, I just thought "nevermind"...

I wasn't trying to be snarky.. just changing my mind to comment...
                no big whoop.

Comment

The name Maki otoshi (or makiotoshi) is by no means copyrighted or limited to kendo or jodo or any other MA. In fact if you were to compare the names of techniques & Kata side by side of most major martial arts you'd find plenty matches.

Here is a Kendo Maki otoshi (at least according to the vids description):
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrGmQVF9OA

Aikido maki otoshi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLkFcxfMx4

Another Aikido maki otoshi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpFzASrVWMQ

Unfortunetly I couldn't find a vid showing (only) a maki otoshi from Jodo, but I did found clips of a kata which includes Maki otoshi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_wv6JdY2lI

The maki otoshi begins at index 00:10 and is in this kata executed rapidly.

Here is another one that starts at time index 00:15:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vw2O2PgG-c

Comment

There's a Naginata Maki-otoshi as well, I can't remember if it's more similar to the Jodo or Kendo maki...

Comment

and this is precisely why I changed my mind to comment originally. i don't think anybody, much less me, is trying to say that maki-otoshi is some copyrighted terminology, exclusive only to kendo. maybe we're having a communication problem here.

if one is to provide this video for purposes of saying "here's a cool example of maki-otoshi for KENDO" .. then it doesn't make sense, because that's not "kendo maki-otoshi"....

of course, the purpose of the thread/video was to say "this is interesting for JODO" ... so it makes even less sense for me to give a comment that "this is not 'kendo' maki-otoshi"... ..AGAIN, this is why I edited my own original comment to "nevermind"

Unfortunately, I just keep replying in this thread, but I'll be leaving it now.

Comment

and this is precisely why I changed my mind to comment originally. i don't think anybody, much less me, is trying to say that maki-otoshi is some copyrighted terminology, exclusive only to kendo. maybe we're having a communication problem here.
                        I think you inadvertently started a very interesting thread, it was clear you weren't being difficult. No "big whoop" taken.

So to continue this topic, given that there are different interpretations of maki otoshi, what is the common link? Is it that feeling of rolling/absorbing, with a circular physical motion? When I use maki otoshi in kendo it's a definite attacking shikake waza used to break someone with a weak (or too rigid) centre, usually only works against less experienced people. In jodo it's a definite counter attack move, turning tachi's attack away and stepping in...so more an oji waza. Been a long time since I did any aikido but maybe someone can explain more of what's going on in those aiki clips.

Is that kendo clip you posted not more of an uchi otoshi i.e a single downward strike rather than a circular movement?

Comment

Interesting clips

I've seen the Aiki technique before but didn't know it's name.

Re the Kendo version. I can't help but think that in theory it looks like the same technique as the Jodo one but, I would call them both Henka's if anything. I use the word Henka, because to me it means variation. I.e the same but different

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
                            Unfortunetly I couldn't find a vid showing (only) a maki otoshi from Jodo, but I did found clips of a kata which includes Maki otoshi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_wv6JdY2lI

The maki otoshi begins at index 00:10 and is in this kata executed rapidly.
                            The example shown in Tachi Otoshi no midare is not Maki Otoshi but Uchi Otoshi.

Comment

One good thing about jodo makiotoshi is that it is the only jo technique I have ever pulled off successfully in kendo prompting the sensei I was doing jigeiko with to say 'what the hell was that' when I hit him on the head one of those things that can only work once.....

As for doing it jo style with sword we demonstrate it bokken on bokken so you can see the hasuji move as the stick turns coming back in and turns back again for the down sweep - and as I recall in SMR there is a shoto makiotoshi from reinforced block against bokken in inuchi.

Comment

Working...
                              X