Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two kata from the Okuden series - Merry Xmas :)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two kata from the Okuden series - Merry Xmas :)

As a xmas present to the fellow Jodo-fanatics out there, I put up two clips from the Okuden kata-series of Shinto Muso-ryu Jodo. The demonstrators in the clips are Namidome Shigenori (staff) and Menkyo Kaiden Otofuji Ichizō (sword). Both are of the Fukuoka jodo community.

The Okuden-series represent the inner teachings of SMR-Jodo and not many people actually reaches it as it takes many years of solid dedicated practice. The inner series isnt top-secret by the way and is demonstrated in public on occasion. (there are a few other okuden kata demonstrated in other SMR clips on YT). The full movie (Nihon kobudo series - Shinto Muso-ryu episode) was made to be public embu .

Here are the two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50iKRBvI7mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb83FMHSCc

Just a small trivia: Otofuji Ichizō and Shimizu Takaji started training SMR-jodo in Fukuoka in the early 20th century under Shirashi Hanjiro Sensei. Around the 1920's Shimizu Takaji moved to Tokyo and set up his own Dojo which became the foundation of the Tokyo Jodo lineage of SMR-Jodo. Shimizu Sensei also created the Kihon and Seitei Jodo kata. Otofuji Sensei remained Shihan of the Fukuoka Dojo until his death in 1998.

Enjoy!

Interesting indeed.

Comment

Hey, nice to see Owen Sound back in practice.

Kim Taylor

Comment

Stop the wave!

Fred

That's NamiTome by the way not Namidome - words from his own mouth I'll add.

He's quite proud of his English ability to translate his name and joke about it

Fantastic clips!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Watson View Post
          Fred

That's NamiTome by the way not Namidome - words from his own mouth I'll add.

He's quite proud of his English ability to translate his name and joke about it

Fantastic clips!
          Oopsie! I'll fix it right away.

Comment

Working...
          X