X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seitei jodo competition query

Feeling the need to displace Dr Welcome from my screen I have a jo comp question for the Brits and Europeans.

Your individual jodo competitions - as opposed to the pairs comps we have here in Australia and at the All Japans - I asked about it 5 odd years ago here and was told it is jo side only that is examined - is that still true?

And can you bring your own tachi or are they randomly assigned from amongst your competitors?

Aden
    Last edited by Aden; 26th March 2009, 09:44 AM. Reason: appalling spelling

Originally posted by Aden View Post
    Feeling the need to displace Dr Welcome from my screen I have a jo comp question for the Brits and Europeans.

Your individual jodo competitions - as opposed to the pairs comps we have here in Australia and at the All Japans - I asked about it 5 odd years ago here and was told it is jo side only that is examined - is that still true?

And can you bring your own tachi or are they randomly assigned from amongst your competitors?

Aden
    I'm sure Andy will correct where necessary, but yes, only jo side is judged (at least this is the case in recent European shiai) and you can bring your own tachi.

Comment

Competitions only, yes only JO side 'judged', and here its chosing your own partner (tachi).

Grading/testing - its not, just be clear on that - you're judged on doing BOTH sides, again, choose your partner within 2 dan grades of your grade. I believe this may change in the future (as it was true for the recent 7th Dan in Japan) ie. you get partnered with the next number in the grading line - afterall, you don't 'choose' your kata partner in a Kendo kata grading

As to "bringing" your own tachi - that conjures up funny images Scott - here its a case, of grabbing some poor git on the day, who is gonna make you look good rather than packing someone in your bag, to bring out when you're singing n dancing with your rhythm stick

Comment

Yes, what Scott and Budo Angel said.

But at the Europeans your partner has to be someone who is competing and I think the "within 2 grades rule" applies the same as in gradings.

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by Budo Angel View Post
          here its a case, of grabbing some poor git on the day, who is gonna make you look good rather than packing someone in your bag, to bring out when you're singing n dancing with your rhythm stick
          Ha! The last time I paired up with someone unfamiliar left me (as tachi) with a broken intermediate phalanx in my left hand (courtesy of Hissage) 15 mins before I was due to compete as shijo!

Comment

Working...
          X