Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some more Shinto-ryu Kenjutsu clips, including short-sword kata

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some more Shinto-ryu Kenjutsu clips, including short-sword kata

    A group, most likely Fukuoka-teached, performing Shinto-ryu kenjutsu. The pair in the background are showing all 4 of the short-sword kata. The foreground pair are showing some of the long-sword kata.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZ_KbVp4Wo

    They also performed some Jo-kata at the same event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2lqTlCUo0

  • #2
    Originally posted by Fred27 View Post
    A group, most likely Fukuoka-teached, performing Shinto-ryu kenjutsu. The pair in the background are showing all 4 of the short-sword kata. The foreground pair are showing some of the long-sword kata.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZ_KbVp4Wo

    They also performed some Jo-kata at the same event:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2lqTlCUo0
    Fred; thanks for these.
    some interesting 'stuff'.

    Unusual to begin in Migi-Hasso Kamae........

    IMHO Some of the sword techniques have elements of Seitei Jodo kata in them.... but I would appreciate the view of someone with more Jodo learning.

    You out there, Mr watson?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by still learning View Post
      Fred; thanks for these.
      some interesting 'stuff'.

      Unusual to begin in Migi-Hasso Kamae........

      IMHO Some of the sword techniques have elements of Seitei Jodo kata in them.... but I would appreciate the view of someone with more Jodo learning.

      You out there, Mr watson?
      Andy and Kim are the experts at Seitei Jodo so I'm leaving it up to them to "spot the influences".

      Comment


      • #4
        Seitei influence in Shinto-ryu sword? I wouldn't have a clue how to spot that or not. Do these guys do it in a way that one does it in Seitei and unlike how one does it in one's own shinto-ryu practice... is this "seitei influence" or just how one group does it?

        Using similar logic I could say definitely that these are not Fukuoka people since Shinto Ryu is done with fukuro shinai in Fukuoka, and all the returns to start position are done with the swords held in one hand. But that's just what I was taught by Namitome sensei a couple weeks ago and there's no way I can say that everyone in Fukuoka does it that way. Looking at this group's jodo koryu I'd say they were heavily Fukuoka influenced if not from Fukuoka.

        There aren't two ways to do jodo (Fukuoka and Tokyo) or even three ways (Fukuoka, Tokyo and Keishicho), there's "lots" (one, two, many, lots).

        Four ways? (Fukuoka, Tokyo, Keishicho (all ZNKR), and IJF)... Five? (Nihon Jodokai)... Six? (The various Mugai-ryu jodos)... These are just the jodo lines I can think of that are in the west.

        Kim.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kim Taylor View Post
          Using similar logic I could say definitely that these are not Fukuoka people since Shinto Ryu is done with fukuro shinai in Fukuoka, and all the returns to start position are done with the swords held in one hand. But that's just what I was taught by Namitome sensei a couple weeks ago and there's no way I can say that everyone in Fukuoka does it that way. Looking at this group's jodo koryu I'd say they were heavily Fukuoka influenced if not from Fukuoka.

          Kim.
          Just a quick one: Matsumura Sensei of Fukuoka dont use the fukuro shinai either for Shinto ryu kenjutsu. First time I've heard of it to be honest.

          Comment


          • #6
            There are a number of jo people up here in Tohoku of Fukuoka lineage who don't use fukuro shinai for the Shinto-ryu kenjutsu either.

            Rennis Buchner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rennis View Post
              There are a number of jo people up here in Tohoku of Fukuoka lineage who don't use fukuro shinai for the Shinto-ryu kenjutsu either.

              Rennis Buchner
              Nor did we use them to practice the set, nevertheless, that's what sensei told us, and what he used to demonstrate them for us with Shinohara sensei. My point was that when we say "Tokyo" or "Fukuoka" jodo we're talking about a couple of very wide categories so to talk about seitei influence in either one might be a bit futile since there's nothing standard that we can point to that would show the influence.

              Kim.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kim Taylor View Post
                Nor did we use them to practice the set, nevertheless, that's what sensei told us, and what he used to demonstrate them for us with Shinohara sensei. My point was that when we say "Tokyo" or "Fukuoka" jodo we're talking about a couple of very wide categories so to talk about seitei influence in either one might be a bit futile since there's nothing standard that we can point to that would show the influence.

                Kim.
                Yes one should be careful about labelling "this" with "that", but one cannot deny what it looks like and what it probably is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kim Taylor View Post
                  My point was that when we say "Tokyo" or "Fukuoka" jodo we're talking about a couple of very wide categories so to talk about seitei influence in either one might be a bit futile since there's nothing standard that we can point to that would show the influence.
                  Come on Kim, we want our clearly defined, neat little boxes here and you aren't helping. Next thing you know you are going tell us that there is a lot of grey area between budo and bujutsu.

                  Removing tongue from cheek,
                  Rennis Buchner

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X