X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itto Ryu U.S.

After doing some research it seems that my school is the only representative of Kogen Itto Ryu in the United States. I must say this makes me sad. My research also indicates that the same holds for Itto Ryu but I'm not sure. If anyone knows of any Itto Ryu schools or branches in the united states, could you please give a shout out. Thanks.

I have heard of a Kogen-ha Itto Ryu group in Columbia, MD, under Dr. Bill Dvorine - it is known as the Washington Kendo Club. They teach iai and kenjutsu from the ryuha I am told by a member with whom I practice Atarashii Naginata. In addition to Kendo and KIR, they also practice Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo.

HTH.

Comment

Do they have a website?

Comment

Try the same request on e-budo.com. They have a much bigger subscriber base than KWF.

Comment

Web site

Originally posted by megumisita
          Do they have a website?
          Yes, but I don't have it off hand. Try a web-search on "Washington Kendo Club" or "Maryland Kendo."

I cannot recall if all the arts are listed on the web-site -- my recollection is that it is basically Kendo-oriented. My information comes from two of his students with whom I do Atarashii Naginata -- they both do Kendo; she also does SMR Jodo and he does KIR Iai & Kenjutsu.

HTH.

Comment

I would be very interested to find out more. I checked their url but it doesn't work anymore. All KIR lines have gone extinct save my schools and the main line. The only other one I knew of was Hiruma-ha Kogen Itto Ryu and it went extinct. Mainstream KIR doesn't practice iaido so I'm curious to know where their iai kata came from. My school practices iai but I have yet to find out from where. Do you know what rank Dr. Dvorine is?

Comment

Grades

Dr. Dvorine is yondan in kendo, sandan in jodo. I don't know about the others. He's also yudansha in Judo.

Contact info. at http://www.kendo-usa.org/statedojolist.htm#MD.

HTH.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Just for your information, there are no Kogen Itto ryu groups outside of Japan. At least none endorsed by the Soke of the ryuha, Henmi Chifuji Sensei.

For clarification, have a look at these sites.

http://www.koryu.com/guide/kogenitto.html

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...Kogen+Itto+ryu

Regards

Comment

Yeah, I would imagine there are non endorsed by Henmi Sensei. However, that does not preclude their existence as my school is a prime example of that. Thanks for the additional information though Saitama Steve.

Comment

Re: Web site

Do they have a website?
                      Originally posted by R A Sosnowski

Yes, but I don't have it off hand. Try a web-search on "Washington Kendo Club" or "Maryland Kendo."

I cannot recall if all the arts are listed on the web-site -- my recollection is that it is basically Kendo-oriented. My information comes from two of his students with whom I do Atarashii Naginata -- they both do Kendo; she also does SMR Jodo and he does KIR Iai & Kenjutsu.

HTH.
                      Well, they did have a website - I found the URL in my bookmarks, but it does not work now. I also came across a hard copy that I had printed out from the website - at the time that I accessed it (mid-September 2002), it was strictly Kendo - the button they had for "Iaido/Jodo" did not work.

BTW, back in 1998, I met David Diguangco, Instructor at the Sakurai-Ha Kogen Itto Ryu Ogden Kendo Club, during the USNF (Naginata Federation) annual Seminar at Weber State in Ogden, UT. I believe that he maintained a website called United States Classical Kendo Federation, which currently is being updated. As I recall, there were three Dojo listed there, some place in Ohio and another in Florida along with the Ogden Dojo.

Although I did have a chance to play with them, I had to pass because I was exhausted due to a combination of jet lag, lack of sleep due to a very late arrive (about 5 hours on a late evening flight), and adjusting to the altitude.

I also came across an old post linking Dr. Dvorine with the group in Ogden:

THE IAIDO NEWSLETTER, Volume 7 number 6, #58, JUN 1995

KOGEN ITTO RYU SEMINAR

April 7, 8, and 9, 1995. The Ogden Kendo Club is very pleased to announce a very successful Itto Ryu Seminar with Kotaka Sensei. It was attended by 15 people, the furthest participants were Brian Wright and Dr. Bill Dvorine from Washinton, DC, and the remainder from Idaho and Utah. ...

Comment

Hahahahahah, its funny how paths cross and recross during life. Diguangco Sensei is one of Kotaka Sensei's first two students. Unfortunately I have never met him because I train at the Ohio Dojo. I have met the other of the first two students but it is my loss that I have not had the opportunity to meet Diguanco Sensei.

Comment

After doing some research it seems that my school is the only representative of Kogen Itto Ryu in the United States. I must say this makes me sad. My research also indicates that the same holds for Itto Ryu but I'm not sure. If anyone knows of any Itto Ryu schools or branches in the united states, could you please give a shout out. Thanks.
                          Dr. Bill Dvoring (godan) teaches iaido ( with Kogen Itto Ryu as the koryu) on Sundays at 10 AM at the Baltimore Judo Club in Catonsville, Md. On any given Sunday there are betweeen five and fifteen students. Dr. Dvoing has one nidan, one shodan, two ikkyu, and several lesser ranks, and a few beginners. Dr. Dvoring also teaches kendo on Saturdays in Columbia MD. His informations can be found on the US Kendo Federation web site. I hope that this is of some help to you.

Andy Raum
                          nikyu

Comment

Originally posted by saychezenow
                            Dr. Bill Dvoring (godan) teaches iaido ( with Kogen Itto Ryu as the koryu) on Sundays at 10 AM at the Baltimore Judo Club in Catonsville, Md. On any given Sunday there are betweeen five and fifteen students. Dr. Dvoing has one nidan, one shodan, two ikkyu, and several lesser ranks, and a few beginners. Dr. Dvoring also teaches kendo on Saturdays in Columbia MD. His informations can be found on the US Kendo Federation web site. I hope that this is of some help to you.

Andy Raum
                            nikyu
                            Out of curiousity, who is the governing organization that is doing the gradings?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have any of you practiced or seen the "Chuden no Bu" set of Sakurai-ha Iaido? These 5 waza (Like the frist two sets) appear to be related to MSR as well (i.e., Nidan Torabashira, Kabutowari (Itomagoi), Zengo Sayugiri (Shihogiri), Etc.). Are they performed in tatehiza (kiza) or tachi?

Regards,

Andrew Bryant

Comment

Working...
                              X