Itto Ryu dojo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itto Ryu dojo

Hey everyone. Its been a while. Just started training in the IT feild. Sorry to ask again about this on here instead of somewhere on ebudo, I tried signing up but it dosnt work. Anyhoo, I just got a couple questions, so please if anyone can help please do so. As for the Hokushin dojo in Fresno, does anyone know for sure if they teach Hokushin Itto Ryu? When reading and such it just seems like a kendo dojo. Also I recently read about 2 or 3 Kogen Itto Ryu dojo in the US. I think MD, ohio and i forgot the other place. I would like to also know if these dojos are legitimate as well. Ive been studying about koryu for some time now and have settled on wishing to learn either hokushin or kogen itto ryu, preferably kogen itto ryu (and sincerely plan on continuing in Japan someday). Thanks so much eveyrone for your time and help. I know I much be being a bother. I hope to hear from everyone real soon.

Sincerely,
    Eric Kolmos

Hi Eric,

You asked this already didnt you? (http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9366)

What do you actually want to study? Itto-ryu kenjutsu as derived from the mainline branch Ono-ha Itto-ryu? The people you have mentioned in the prior post do not seem to be practising those styles.

I think you would be better asking some of your kendo sensei in America to see if anyone has experience rather than trying to post here and hoping someone will volunteer information.

As far as I am aware there are no official itto-ryu dojo outside of Japan save one in San-Marino (near Italy). There are lots of groups who study itto-ryu in Japan as an adjunct to kendo, and Im pretty sure that many non-Japanese kendoka have studied and are studying with various groups in Japan now.

If you want to study koryu then have a look into whats in your area, then pick from that. If you must study itto-ryu then, well, move to Japan.

A good grounding in kendo and kendo-no-kata will transfer well into study of itto-ryu, so rather than think of it impatiently as time wasted, try putting some more into your kendo keiko.

Comment

Thankyou

Thank you for your reply. Yes I would like to study either Hokushin or Kogen Itto ryu so if there are none in the US, then I will wait till I move to Japan. Also just to let you know, I know very well on how Kendo would work well in training in Itto ryu. I also know moving to Japan would be best, I have read the articles conserning that on koryu.com. I do not spend my time impatiently idleing wishing I could practice Itto ryu and neglect my Kendo. I train everyday of the week besides sunday at my dojo and others (in the SCKO we can attend other SCKO dojos free of charge) and if not other dojos, then at home. I also regularly practice the Kendo Kata, at least an hour and a half a day. I also know about seeing whats in my area and picking from that if what I "want" isnt here". And yes I did ask before but I really didnt get a clear answer as to weither they were legitimate, and that was just the Hokushin Itto Ryu dojo in Fresno, California and since I wished to ask about the Kogen Itto Ryu dojos, I figured Id reask the previous one too. Perhaps I could get different imput. I thank you for your help but please dont talk to me like I dont know what I should do, like Im ignorant or something. I simply asked if the dojos were legitimate, period. I on my part do apologize if I took offence to anything that was not in the least bit suppose to be offencive and I therefore take full responcibility for perseiving it incorrectly.
      Last edited by Kyousuke; 26th August 2006, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Kaoru, if your there could you perhaps help at all as well? I do remember you having a list of Dojo. It would be much apreciated. Also Kenshi I do apologize again for my response. I do appreciate your help as well. Perhaps if you are still in Osaka, Japan you could maybe ask around to see where any Kogen Itto Ryu dojos are and maybe see what I would need to do in order to join when I get to move to Japan, hopefuly within the next few years. I would like to make some contact in Japan reguarding JSA that could help me with attaining a Dojo to attend but it is quite hard. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousuke
          Also Kenshi I do apologize again for my response.
          Id say you took my post in the totally wrong way.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Kenshi for your help and encouragment.

Comment

If you do a search on this forum for Kogen Itto Ryu, you will find some extensive discussion in the past. It seems the American head of KIR does not have any connection to Japanese branches of the ryu. So if you started training with them in the USA, you might not find that a benefit when you went to Japan.

b

Comment

From what i understand from Darrel Craig's book, the fresno dojo is a branch of the hokushin itto-ryu dojo in Chiba started by Chiba sensei, whether they practice it or just kendo though, i am uncertain of.

Comment

Your in the right place...

[QUOTE=Kyousuke]

Hello Kyousuke,

I used to train in that Dojo. Otani Sensei is a good guy. It is ZNKR Iaido.
                  Which is derived from one of the many branches if Itto-Ryu,If you want hit me up w/ a response and I'll tell you which one specifically....Don't feel like going down stairs.

He trains Kendo for 1&1/2Hr., then Iaido for an 1hr. He is very reasonably priced.

Veritas

Comment

Kyousuke,

Perhaps some of this will be useful and/or of interest to you:

A few years ago, I did some research on Hokushin Itto Ryu whereas the founder of my Kendo dojo (who has since retired and moved back to Japan) taught and had us practice various "Hokushin Itto Ryu" (Saijo-han variant)iaijutsu kata and kenjutsu kumitachi. Two of us at my dojo continue our study of these to this day, 16 years after our founding-sensei's departure.

I say "Hokushin Itto Ryu" in quotes, because I found that there was variance in what we do compared to other HIR branches. In reviewing video from two prevalent branches in Japan - Based at the Mito Tobukan and the Tokyo Genbukan, I found similarities, but many differences between all three. That didn't clarify things for me.

My sensei's teacher was from the Saijo/Iyo area, so I corresponded with the local Kendo federation, and they in turn put me in contact with a koryu group. As far as they could tell, my sensei's sensei passed away after WWII, and Hokushin Itto Ryu is no longer practiced in the area. Tamiya-Ryu is the prevalent style in the area. I got a nice invitation to visit their group in Saijo-city, Ehime, but I wasn't able to fit that in to my last two trips to Japan. Next time, perhaps, even though Tamiya-ryu is a different style.

Some of the most useful and educational correspondence/information came via Antony Cundy, a regular contributor to Kendo World magazine and a local authority, Dr. Lineberger. Mr. Cundy was kind enough to even review and comment on video clips we shot here. Unfortunately, no definite conclusions were reached there, but the dialog was educational (and much appreciated).

A lead that I'll follow-up on next comes via a nanadan Kendo/rokudan Iai sensei friend and mentor in Japan who is a friend of Konishi Jujiro (Tokyo Genbukan soke). Onuma-sensei planned to introduce me to Konishi-sensei last year via a dojo visit, but unfortunately, our schedules did not work out. I'd like to someday visit both the Tokyo Genbukan and Mito Tobukan so that I can make direct comparisons.

I don't know much about publically-available HIR instruction in the USA, but if you're planning to move to Japan, you might want to obtain permission to visit the two dojo I mentioned above in the Tokyo area.

Good luck!

P.S. - I asked a few sensei about Hokushin Itto Ryu during my week-long Kendo study trip to Kyoto earlier this year. None of them knew any practitioners. Next time, I'll ask the sensei who instructs the Imperial Guards in Kendo (Tazaki-sensei, I believe). If I recall correctly, Darrel Craig-sensei's book mentions practicing in the Imperial Guards' dojo in Kyoto.

Comment

Hi folks,

Just wanted to make sure those interested are aware Sasamori Takemi Soke, the current headmaster of Ono-ha itto-ryu, is scheduled to visit Los Angeles California with (2) other senior instructors for an open seminar on Sept 19th and 20th, 2015. This will be the last opportunity to study with Sasamori Soke in America. Please see the seminar announcement below if interested:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/for...ept-19-20-2015

Regards,

Nathan Scott

Comment

For those interested in Itto-ryu or the teachings of Sasamori Takemi Soke, a new book has been translated and published in English called "Bushido & Christianity". This is the only book Sasamori Sensei has written containing insights and kuden from Itto-ryu.

The author is a very educated and deep thinker and I believe his writings will prove to be of great value to those of all walks of society. Unfortunately, this book only scratches the surface of what the author has to offer - I wish he had written more during his life.

For those who are not Christian (like myself), I would still recommend this book. Christianity is mostly discussed in its historical context, and in terms of how the lessons taught cross over and compliment the principles embraced of "Bushido". The text is easy to read and follow, with cultural aspects and terms translated and annotated by the translator (a long-time direct student of the author) as needed. As a translator of Japanese/English myself, I can say that this translation is excellent, which is something very rare to find in any translated text - especially those related to martial arts. My gratitude and respect to the translator - great job sir! Obviously, this text will be mandatory reading in both languages for exponents of Itto-ryu, which is one of the effective, oldest and best preserved classical schools of swordsmanship in Japan.

In closing, not a huge book or hard to read, and well worth the time and small investment. This is one book for me at least that will stay in my permanent collection and be read more than once. Right now it is only available on Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/Bushido-Chris...anity+sasamori

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                        X