X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinkendo in Central California

We are pleased to announce a Shinkendo group has formed in Mariposa, California. The group will be led by Barry Burtt, A licensed instructor. Training is being held at the Aikido of Mariposa dojo, located in the foothills north of Fresno.

For further information contact Barry Burtt at 209-742-5300 or aikido@sti.net

>_> Does Shinkendo really count as kobudo? It's not exactely "Old".

Comment

Originally posted by David
      >_> Does Shinkendo really count as kobudo? It's not exactely "Old".
      Hello David,

Obata Sensei spent 30 years in Japan studying various koryu. Then created Shinkendo out of what he viewed the stronger points of the ryuha he studied...so allthough it's not old as far as lineage, it is in essence koryu.

http://shinkendo.com/

Comment

... so allthough it's not old as far as lineage, it is in essence koryu.
        No, it's not. It is performed in a koryu fashion, but it is not a koryu.
        David has a valid point. Since it is a gendai art, it should not be placed in a kobudo forum. To do so, especially since he had previously made this same post in the dojo forum, could be considered spamming.

Comment

[QUOTE=pgsmith]No, it's not. It is performed in a koryu fashion, but it is not a koryu.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, your right it is gendai...but it's based on koryu. It was just my impression that it's as close as it gets for those who are not fortunate enough to attend a Koryu dojo.They are far and few between and for those not located with in a reasonable distance to a Koryu dojo it's a nice place to start. Most Koryu dojo are still in Japan I've been told.

Comment

Most Gendai Budo are based on Kobudo and Koryu, but that doesn't change the fact that they're Gendai. The same applies for Shinkendo. Even if it is "as close as it gets", it's still not Kobudo or Koryu, and should not be posted about in a forum designated for them.

Comment

I suggest that David and Pg smith read the website ( if you havent already) It has some really good info, Also I have come to learn that Kobudo is just a word that incorporates all "ancient" martial arts.

Over and out, Come on back.

Comment

Mr. Flagnuts,
                I have read the web site. I have had many conversations with Nathan Scott sensei. I am meeting Jim Alvarez sensei and David Wilson sensei for dinner and beer in a few weeks. I am quite familiar with what Shinkendo is and isn't. What it is, is a good sword art with very solid foundations. Obata sensei has created a very valid and vital art, utilizing his own depth of experience in other Japanese arts. What it isn't is a koryu or kobudo. This is why I initially said that it shouldn't have been posted here. Especially given the fact that he had already made the same post in the dojo forum, which is where it should have been.

Would you rather concede the point that it probably shouldn't have been posted here, or would you rather I have a talk with some of the Shinkendo seniors about the new dojo that is spamming the discussion forums.

You pick!

Comment

Yeah I definately see your point pg. But do you think the spamming is coming directly from this dojo? To get even further from the thread.....

Comment

Originally posted by flagnuts
                    . . .But do you think the spamming is coming directly from this dojo?. . .
                    Right, except for the fact that the signature on the first post says it is, what evidence do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatz
                      Right, except for the fact that the signature on the first post says it is, what evidence do you have?
                      One more and you've got 2,000. Make it meaningful...

Comment

Yeesh you guys, do you really need to get your knickers in a knot over a legitimate group posting contact info twice?

Best of luck to you, Barry.

Comment

lol that is funny,, i see it now , what if there were an auto ban for spammers

Comment

I don't really care how many times they post about it (I didn't even know about the one that Pg mentioned). I'm just saying, they shouldn't post about a gendai bodu in a kobudo forum.

I've got nothing against Shinkendo. I actually think it's quite interesting, and if there was a dojo in the Miami area, I'd definately check it out.

Comment

Yeesh you guys, do you really need to get your knickers in a knot over a legitimate group posting contact info twice?
                              Nope, I have no problem with it at all. However, I do have a problem with their response to David's post. When he said that it probably shouldn't have been posted in the kobudo section, the proper response should have been "you're probably right, but the instructor is obviously excited about starting a new group and probably wanted to make sure he didn't miss anyone that might be interested." Instead, he got arguments about how it "did too" belong there.

I'm always up for a good debate, so I thought to see how they came to their conclusions. Unfortunately, the best they could come up with was "because it should".

Comment

Working...
                              X