Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What were they using at the 2:30 min of the clip, is that somekind of specific koryu shinay or is it a boken?

Thanks again for taking the time to update the page.

Comment

Sorry for the double post but i couldn't correct a small error in this sentence:" Thanks again for taking the time to update the page."
      Thanks again for taking the time to update the thread.

Comment

Hi,

Those are fukuro shinai. Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Kashima Shinryu and Kashima Jikishinkage Ryu use them among others.

Comment

Any ideas to why the padded tsuba?

Comment

Not sure about the tsuba. Maybe because it matches?

I'll have a look at the pictures in the article after the next time I get some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK View Post
              Any ideas to why the padded tsuba?
              no idea about kashima shinryu, but ive been reduced to bleeding knuckles when using a fukuro shinai (as well as bruised legs and arms)... so that might be an indication why.

of-course, maybe its to make it more sword like, heh heh.

ive seen shinai and bukuto with bigger padded tsubas than these...

Comment

Padded tsuba allow for practice in tsuba zeriai without breaking each other's fingers. This is why you never put your right index finger around the fuchigane. A lot of schools do this.

Kashima Shin-ryu do quite a bit of grappling in their techniques that involve tsubazeriai. If they used large wooden tsuba ala Itto-ryu variants or Muhi Muteki-ryu, practicioners fingers would be snapping like twigs every keiko.

Comment

Aha cheers...

Comment

Working...
                  X