X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wat is kobudo ?

sounds interesting...but hrmmm..wat is this all about ? i only know kendo, kenjutsu and iaido...is it a mixture of all ?

Check the similar thread of the 09-03-2003 posted in this forum.

Comment

Kobudo simply means "old budo" and means any Japanese fighting system that is older that a particular period (perhaps Meiji?) or that has the flavour or the manners of such a tradition (some more obscure aikido branches I have seen demonstrated at "kobudo taikai"). There are many different words and phrases in Japanese to describe the ancient martial traditions. Kobudo is just one particularly broad one. In the sword arts, anything described as kenjutsu (a similarly broad term) would be considered "kobudo".

b

Comment

I did 'kobudo' for a while, and it actually was Katori Shinto Ryu. Sensei trained Katori Shinto Ryu in Japan.
        We did bokken katas, bo katas with uke wielding a bokken.
        We also practised iaido with a special chiburi. You had to rotate your sword and hit the tsuka, noto had a sort of flourish, because you end up holding your sword the wrong way. I think one of the ZNKR iaido katas has a similar move. I saw the other students do it, I'm still trying to perfect the 1st kata (read: trying to do all the moves without someone showing them) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by KamuSan
          We also practised iaido with a special chiburi. You had to rotate your sword and hit the tsuka, noto had a sort of flourish, because you end up holding your sword the wrong way. I think one of the ZNKR iaido katas has a similar move. I saw the other students do it, I'm still trying to perfect the 1st kata (read: trying to do all the moves without someone showing them) :-)
          *nods*, I know just what you mean - my iaido koryu, Hokushin Shinoh Ryu, have that same chiburi/noto in one of our waza. I'm still trying to perfect it myself I don't know about the "upside down" noto (anybody know if there is a term for this?), but I think hitting the tsuka during chiburi is not too uncommon among koryu. I've seen it down on Lone Wolf movies - hardly an authoritative historical source, I know, but the swordsmanship seems competent enough, and it's not like they would have come up with something like that independent of reading/hearing/seeing it used in a koryu.

Comment

Lone Wolf movies?

Comment

Slightly Off-Topic

Hi Silverleaf,

Hokushin Shinoh-ryu - I haven't heard that name in a long time - koryu only applies to older traditional schools. 20th century Kenbu based amalgams like Hokushin Shinoh-ryu don't qualify as koryu, I'm afraid, especially the 'main' branch in Nagoya and it's Australian derivative. Who's runnning things down there now? Is Won-Ho still around?

regards

Hamish

Comment

So to sum it up Kobudo is a term to explain the styles of that period in a collective manner?

cheers Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
                  Hi Silverleaf,

Hokushin Shinoh-ryu - I haven't heard that name in a long time - koryu only applies to older traditional schools. 20th century Kenbu based amalgams like Hokushin Shinoh-ryu don't qualify as koryu, I'm afraid, especially the 'main' branch in Nagoya and it's Australian derivative. Who's runnning things down there now? Is Won-Ho still around?

regards Hamish
                  He emailed me to ask me to join his Iaido ring some time back and also started to make posts on ebudo. Have not heard from him recently but his old home pages are still online.

Comment

ohayou gozaimas

hi everybody!ijust reading your posts on kobudo and...i can tell you what it is.but i did yust too many times(how is it possible that everybody knows such martial arts as aikido, kendo, iaido, karate...but not kobudo?) so just read an article from my senseis site: www.kobudokwai.sk and you may also visit www.kobudo.szm.sk ...
                    so here it is, you may read it.i pray itll help you to know whats kobudo...

Comment

Working...
                    X