X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting/Puzzling split

One of the top Nami-Ryu guys that was a teacher and branch leader has split form his beloved and real martial art and seems very adamant to tell us he has and wants no ties with James Williams and Nami-Ryu.

What could have possibly happen smells strange.

Here is the original post from E-budo

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...515#post473515

Huh?

So he's breaking from James Williams and Nami Ryu and is going to go and make something of his own? Somehow that whole microcosm of self-blended sword arts seems to have had a small explosion. Who else is scratching their head right now?

Comment

I hope I am wrong.

Yes from his statement it sounds like he is going to make up his own thing just like James Williams did. Or maybe is is somehow sincere and will cling to a real school.

Seriously it always puzzled me why Williams had to make his own school. The old schools were not good enough? The old schools were not available? and the questions go on and on. I mostly think that is all about business and the cult of personality. If he was so serious he would have got into a real Koryu and stayed long enough to get a license. Why did he never do this with Kuroda Tetsuzan anyway?

Now that being said the main reason why it freaks me out that much is that James Williams and Nami Ryu is the equivalent of Ed Parker and all the other crapola karate, Tae Kwon/Tang soo etc schools in the states that popped everywhere with bogus claims etc. All he really achieved is open the doors to bullshit of this type but with swords and with time people will get injured and there will be more rules and troubles for legit people to actually practice. Plus it will also attract your regular redneck and fantasy freak so will serve to lower the overall quality of Koryu and make us all look like idiots.

The issue when old stuff gets to the U.S.A especially is that it get overblown commercially and there is a general sense that it has to be sold to has much people has possible. Elsewhere this feeling does not come out has much. here in Canada we do not have this issue has much and most sword things are under the umbrella of the Kendo federation which in a way is a very good thing.

Comment

At the very least he's upfront about it. In the end though, if that's what he wants to do, no power in the world can stop him and all we can hope for is that he continues to be honest about what he teaches and makes it clear that he's making it up as he goes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Gishin View Post
          One of the top Nami-Ryu guys that was a teacher and branch leader has split form his beloved and real martial art and seems very adamant to tell us he has and wants no ties with James Williams and Nami-Ryu.

What could have possibly happen smells strange.

Here is the original post from E-budo

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...515#post473515
          Do you have anything other than your infatuation with James Williams to add to the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by tattooedasshole View Post
            Do you have anything other than your infatuation with James Williams to add to the forum?
            Your name fits you totally!

Tatooed.....hole.

IF you are not happy about what I said then just let it pass. I feel that this was interesting and my infatuation as you call it is most likely based on your ignorance. The more we protect or cover frauds of his type the more Japanese sword arts will get bastardized by idiots and just get degraded to parlor tricks. Japanese sword arts were never meant for the masses anyway or when they are like Kendo you need a federation with clear guidelines which does not exist with Koryu and since it does not exisit it is left to the bad taste of the unscrupulous individual.

Comment

well, you just prove the tattooed one right. you have nothing else to contribute than your infatuation with james williams.

Comment

I don't know a ton about James Williams, but I can say that his explanations behind how to generate power when performing tameshigiri as shown on his "Time Warp" segment are clearly influenced by his systema experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  well, you just prove the tattooed one right. you have nothing else to contribute than your infatuation with james williams.

And your comment serves what? That you can go online and demonize someone uselessly. Remember I am only bring facts about this stuff and so far there was a clear discussion with no flame wars so far. Until tatooed*** and you came along to turn this in a flame war that serves nothing other than your satisfaction of blowing stuff up. For what reason? all I am doing is bring to the public my straight opinion and facts about this stuff so that maybe some people reading this that have less knowledge will say maybe this foll as a point maybe not but it will make them think twice before the join nami ryu. As I also said before I have no infatuation with the guy just that he is the more visible one of those made up schools so that now he seems to be the owner of samurai crap on general media TV/magazines. I can dress up a list of all the made up schools that fall under this category.

Comment

And your comment serves what? That you can go online and demonize someone uselessly.
                    Do you read what you type? Kettle calling the pot black.?

Comment

Originally posted by hl1978 View Post
                      I don't know a ton about James Williams, but I can say that his explanations behind how to generate power when performing tameshigiri as shown on his "Time Warp" segment are clearly influenced by his systema experiences.
                      Aside from the entertainment value, I realy don't give a rat's ass about him, or his school.

Comment

Aside from the entertainment value, I realy don't give a rat's ass about him, or his school.

Ok you don't give a rats ass about nami-ryu this is cool with me. I feel that it is worth the time to expose crap like nami-ryu and I chose to sometimes spend time to write about it. So if you truly do not care why the heck you are there bashing me? If you had time to spend on stuff of this kind you should at least bash frauds fakes etc. It surely shows from all the stuff you have written towards me that you are the one that clearly needs to needlessly put down my efforts.

Comment

Ok you don't give a rats ass about nami-ryu this is cool with me. I feel that it is worth the time to expose crap like nami-ryu and I chose to sometimes spend time to write about it. So if you truly do not care why the heck you are there bashing me? If you had time to spend on stuff of this kind you should at least bash frauds fakes etc. It surely shows from all the stuff you have written towards me that you are the one that clearly needs to needlessly put down my efforts.
                          No, I put down your needless efforts. You seem to have based your reason for joining this forum on your dislike for nami-ryu. This type of childish behavior should be laughed at not praised. Why don't you try properly representing the art you do study, instead of worying about James Williams.

Comment

No, I put down your needless efforts. You seem to have based your reason for joining this forum on your dislike for nami-ryu. This type of childish behavior should be laughed at not praised. Why don't you try properly representing the art you do study, instead of worying about James Williams.

Then just don't mind what I write this is all. You are truly the one as I said that is bashing me for needless reasons. Again this is an internet forum and it is easy to demonize me by assuming and writing that I have nothing else to do etc. Come on! There is 24 hours in a day and I have lots to do more than this. But it is you that is assuming and writing stuff implying that I am this and that. Also I did join this forum much before posting anything on James Williams just turns out I wrote so far more about him and his circus that's all. Again only it is only you assuming/implying stuff to put me down.

Comment

In my experience in the US, a large percentage of the people who start sword arts tend to be more interested in the image of sword arts they bring with them rather than the real deal per se and end up quiting very quickly when they realize that the reality doesn't match their image. Several years ago I might have gotten bent out of shape about these self made schools, but now I figure let them be. They serve as a good filter for those type of people. The people who should be doing the "real deal" eventually seem to figure things out and get where they should be and having these schools around is fine as it saves everyone time, either in training in something they aren't interested in or in teaching people who don't want to learn. As one of my sensei said to me "You should be able to call a spade a spade when nessecary, but more often than not, simply ignoring them is the proper course of action."

Random thoughts,
                              Rennis Buchner

Comment

Working...
                              X