X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new style

A friend of mine moved to Japan a few years ago to study Kage-ryu. he tells me he wants to one day propagate his own ryu with Kage-ryu as an antecedenet. what do you all think of this. by the way, he is not of japanese descent.

Trouble ahead... me thinks...

Not of Japanese descent is not the issue... something is not more legitimate or good because it is Japanese or not... it is the studying of something that has been tested and refined and has tradition and history and such built into it that make something really interesting and worth learning... randomly making something up, even if it is based on something else nowadays doesn't quite work as it is rare to get into a modern sword fight so the relevance or usefullness or tradition just ain't there... unless you are seeking youtube fame...

<now ducking my head in my trench before the storm arrives>

Comment

A friend of mine moved to Japan a few years ago to study Kage-ryu.
      Did he? I wasn't aware of any non-Japanese other than Colin Watkin sensei that were studying Kage ryu, and he is now retired. How long did you say he has been with the ryu? Does the soke know that he is not planning on propogating the ryu?

Comment

Well, if he manages to make something of it, good for him. Yeah, it might be extremely pointless, but as long as he'll be honest about the backgrounds and such there I don't really see a huge problem. Kage-ryu's head honcho might, though, if that's what he's really studying. I hope he's being honest with him, too.

However, it won't be koryu and it won't be kobudo (I'm not sure if I'd even call it budo).

Comment

Cool, I also have my own RPG setting spin-off! Will his katanas deal d10 or d12 damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Onitora View Post
            A friend of mine moved to Japan a few years ago to study Kage-ryu. he tells me he wants to one day propagate his own ryu with Kage-ryu as an antecedenet. what do you all think of this. by the way, he is not of japanese descent.

<rolleyes>

Comment

Originally posted by Abramo View Post
              Cool, I also have my own RPG setting spin-off! Will his katanas deal d10 or d12 damage?
              My shinai only does d4 damage, bokken is d6 but I'm planning on getting another katana that will do d20!

Comment

Originally posted by Abramo View Post
                It could be like the bastard sword thing.... one handed the katana could do the d10 but two handed could be the d20...

<ducking back into my trench with my dorkiness>

Comment

Does he hold a Menkyo Kaiden or equivalent, then no problems?

Comment

Does he hold a Menkyo Kaiden or equivalent, then no problems?
                    Watkins sensei has been studying Kage ryu for decades and, as far as I know, was not granted menkyo kaiden. In fact, I don't think that the Kage ryu issues menkyo at all.

Personally, I think somebody in this mix is dreaming .....

Will his katanas deal d10 or d12 damage?
                    Have you ever seen the size of swords they use in the Kage ryu? Those puppies would be good for a d20 for sure! ... http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html

Comment

I will drop CGW an email, but I am fairly sure there is no rank at all in Kage-ryu.
                      Originally posted by pgsmith View Post
                      Personally, I think somebody in this mix is dreaming .....
                      I think you might be right.

Comment

Sorry about the double post, but Onitora - you practice kendo, naginata, Nami-ryu battojutsu and koryu (and you plan to travel around the US and Japan for other arts to practice) - and now your 'friend' is going to get the DNA of Kage-ryu and splice it with something else he has made up.

Can you tell me a little more about your current practice? Location, groups, rank etc? I am specifically interested in your kendo and naginata practice. You say you don't have anyone to do isshu-jiai with. Do you practice kendo and/or naginata on your own then?

Comment

According to what I read around the web, the Kage-ryu of the Tachibana fief (http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html) only has two "ranks": kaiin (member) and shihan (teacher?). Watkin sensei seems to be acting as shihan for some time now, even though without a menkyo kaiden...

Anyway, this is a very small ryu, and I think there is a much larger and more popular Kage-ryu in Japan. I'd bet that's the one referred here.

Also, and much more importantly: it's bad to set a weapon do deal 1d20 damage. It's better to start increasing the number of dice after the d12, so 2d10, 2d6 etc. I'd say a Kage-ryu choken should yield 3d6 damage, but of course you'd need the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat (if we're talking D&D 3, 3.5) else you'd incur in a penalty of -4 on attack rolls and damage for using such a cumbersome weapon untrained.

Geek out.

Comment

Must be another Kageryu. Or an offshoot of someone that dabbled in the ryu for time. Wonder what the kanji is?

The last teacher was reffered to as "Shihan'. I have menkyo kaiden issued by the Todo Renmei in association of the ryu being a member of it. What a select few of us do have is literature of the waza handed down froma shihan in tyhe early 1700's It must have been the hardest ryu I have ever been given permission to practice. Two interviews, a guarantor and a practical test before they would even consider me.

Comment

see.. since my right shoulder problem, i have been working on other options, and i realized that chopstick is a great weapon on dead animals. i can pick them up and all after they have been cooked properly. i think i'll be the first soke of waribashi ryu. it's amazing how much tenouchi is needed when properly picking up a piece of meat.

pete

Comment

Working...
                              X