X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinkage Ryu history

Hi. First post. I saw the link to koryuweb online in another thread. The Yagyu Shinkage Ryu page shows three breakaway lines of Shinkage Ryu line all coming from students of Yagyū Toshichika and Yagyū Toshinaga: Shūnpūkan, Arakidō and Marobashikai. I have trained in Shinkage Ryu but I didn't hear any explanation for this.

http://koryuweb.wordpress.com/kenjut...eiho-kenjutsu/

Does anyone know what happened to cause these apparently contemporaneous splits? Sorry if this is obscure.

Thanks.

niall

Nothing unusual, just the typical branching out when someone gets menkyo kaiden and starts their own dojo.

Comment

Hi, Josh! Thanks for the reply. I can't help feeling there could be more to it. Five hundred years of history. Three breakaway lines and all just happen to be in the same generation. Cheers, Niall

Comment

Originally posted by niall View Post
        Hi, Josh! Thanks for the reply. I can't help feeling there could be more to it. Five hundred years of history. Three breakaway lines and all just happen to be in the same generation. Cheers, Niall
        The Shinkage-ryu of the Yagyu family had split and spread to nearly every part of Japan during the Edo period. However as pretty much all of those "break away" lines have since died off, you don't really hear much about them now. The only real difference between those and the current lines you are discussing is that these lines are still new enough to be around.

Rennis Buchner

Comment

Thanks for that, Rennis. Cheers, Niall

Comment

Thanks, Rennis. You said exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

Working...
            X