Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rope nunchaku

HI Guys,
    I have a rope nunchaku from Japan and i was wandering if i should use something like candle wax on the inside edges of the handle (ana) where the rope rubs onto it, to reduce wear. Ive already tried petroleum jelly and candle wax but i dont think that would help so i wiped it off. I spoke to the sensei that i bought it from and he said not to apply anything as it will make the rope weaker. But i have read in books that something should be applied. What do you guys say?
    Kind Regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Originally posted by jezah81
    HI Guys,
    I have a rope nunchaku from Japan and i was wandering if i should use something like candle wax on the inside edges of the handle (ana) where the rope rubs onto it, to reduce wear. Ive already tried petroleum jelly and candle wax but i dont think that would help so i wiped it off. I spoke to the sensei that i bought it from and he said not to apply anything as it will make the rope weaker. But i have read in books that something should be applied. What do you guys say?
    Kind Regards,
    Jeremy Hagop
    A properly-made nunchaku will have the surfaces areas sanded down so that the rope doesn't get cut.

Comment

Everytime I buy a new Nunchaku I sand down the hole and rim where the rope is rubbing against. I use a rough sand paper then a less rough sand paper to give it that really smooth finish. But no matter how smooth, the rope will wear out still eventually. Maybe a little later than if the wood wasn't sanded. Cause the rope is rubbing against each other against the rim of the wood when swinging. So eventually the rope will wear out. But then again, I use them almost everyday, sometimes everyday. I practice with them extensively. I have to buy a new set every few months. But they're cheap so it's not a big deal. I can't properly tie on a new rope. Nunchakus wear out no matter how well, you take care of them. I been using them for 16 years. But I suppose if you're occasionally just picking them up for practice, and after sanding the hole and rim smooth, then they can last you alot longer if not used extensively everyday.

Comment

Working...
      X