X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Shindo munen ryu kenjyutsu??

I'm trying to take a year in Japan soon and was wondering about starting some kind of kenjyutsu and kendo if I can afford it. I still enjoy doing Kata-geiko though kendo is not as dedicated to that side.

I was doing some research on Nakayama hakudo who was one of the famous kendo ka around pre war. He practised kendo and other martial arts, joining the Yushin-kan situated in Meguro Tokyo quite near where I might stay.

http://www.yushinkan.net/

The Yushin Kan dojyo says they do 'Shindo yuso ryu Jyojutsu (Jyodo), Shinmu kenjyutsu, musoshinden ryu iaijyutsu (Iaido/kenjyutsu)
    and Shindo munen ryu kenjyutsu (Kenjyutsu)'.

All I can find is Shindo muso ryu kenjyutsu, not sure why...

P.s Sorry if my translation is wrong .

See the latest issue's koryu feature in Tradition and Transmission, we cover the history of the style in detail. (and Nakayama Hakudo)

I don't know where you found Shindo Muso-ryu kenjutsu on that site, as a perfunctory look didn't turn up anything by that name, the only kenjutsu was Shindo Munen-ryu.

Hamish

Comment

Thanks for your reply Hamish,
      Sorry, I mean I can't find much information on Shindo munen ryu only Shindo muso ryu on the web. I check Koryu.com? and couldn't find any information on it there eather.

Do you have a link to the Koryu article or isn't it online? .

Comment

Originally posted by Musha
        Thanks for your reply Hamish,

Do you have a link to the Koryu article or isn't it online? .
        Eric
        I think Hamish might be subtley saying 'Subscribe to KW magazine'

Comment

Why would I need to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Musha
            Why would I need to do that?

Hamish....
            See the latest issue's koryu feature in Tradition and Transmission, we cover the history of the style in detail. (and Nakayama Hakudo)

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Comment

According to the book I have, Shinto Munen Ryu is a kenjutsu school based in Tokyo. It was founded in the late 18th century and was counted as one of the 4 great kenjutsu schools in Edo.

Shinto Muso Ryu is a jodo school based in Fukuoka. I don't think the two are related but not sure.

Comment

Shinto Muso Ryu, while a Jodo school, also incorporates a number of other weapons, there are 12 (? hmm brain failure) forms in SMR Kenjutsu that are part of the curriculum.

Aden

Comment

I can't contribute a lot, but if I'm not mistaken the Shindo Munen Ryu curriculum consists of only about 10 or 12 waza. It's not a very big school, which is probably why you're having trouble finding a lot of info on it. I know there are Shindo Munen Ryu practitioners that are members of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei, but that's about the sum total of my knowledge on this ryu-ha. You can probably learn a great deal more from the previously mentioned article.

Comment

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to view a special demonstration of Shindo Munen ryu (Yushinkan dojo) leb by the soke, Ogawa Takeshi at one of the yearly the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai Kobudo enbutaikai at the Taito riverside sports centre.

If I remember correctly from the lecture, there are 27 kumitachi techniques and quite a few iaijutsu kata. After the main lecture, they also performed the ZNKR Kendo kata, Shinto Muso ryu jojutsu and Muso Shinden ryu iai, since the Yushinkan preserves all of the arts that Nakayama Hakudo taught.

As Satoshi mentioned earlier, Shinto Muso ryu and Shindo Munen ryu aren't related, but they were and still are taught at the Yushinkan.

The Yushinkan have a Japanese only website here

Comment

Learn something new...

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                          I think I better stay with annoying kendo for now but a more kobudo style does seem interesting to me. On the web site you gave me it says you can visit the dojyo to see what they do if you phone in advance, so maybe I will do that if I get time in Japan .
                          Last edited by Musha; 14th September 2004, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Well, you better have some top notch Japanese first mate.

Comment

I did A level Japanese at college and passed A grade . Was just watching a Japanese anime with no subs a minute ago, but that's one of the reasons I want to go because I need to get much better .

Comment

Working...
                              X