X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Kobudo?

There isn't any information i can find on what is kobudo or the word mean. Please anyone who can enlighten me with their vase knoweledge i appriciate it gladly

Originally posted by PhoenixProfile
    There isn't any information i can find on what is kobudo or the word mean.
    Martial arts practiced in traditional (i.e. before the Meiji Restoration) method of training. It's also called Koryu.
    http://www.koryu.com/

Comment

Originally posted by satoshi
      Martial arts practiced in traditional (i.e. before the Meiji Restoration) method of training. It's also called Koryu.
      http://www.koryu.com/
      ko= old
      bu= war
      do= way

old way of the war, or old martial art..

Comment

hmmm....interesting...too bad that don't have any dojo's around my place.

Comment

its the same as normal modren budo, just that its more traditional, therefore less fitting with modern times, for example, some kenjutsu schools fought with shinai or bokuto with no bogu, nowadays something like that is ridiculous, and very few would do it, when they could do kendo, the same but with protection..

btw, is jujitsu a kobudo?

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
            too bad that don't have any dojo's around my place.
            Yep, too bad there arn't any kobudo/koryu bujutsu dojo in Portland.

Comment

There are.

There's the Samurai dojo in Portland which teaches Sosuishitsu ryu Kumi Uchi (jujutsu) and Koshi No Mawari (battojutsu).

I'm not sure, but I think that there may also be a SMR jo study group in the Oregon area too.

Do a Google search.

Cheers.

Comment

Yet another failed attempt at online sarcasm on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                  its the same as normal modren budo, just that its more traditional, therefore less fitting with modern times, for example, some kenjutsu schools fought with shinai or bokuto with no bogu, nowadays something like that is ridiculous, and very few would do it, when they could do kendo, the same but with protection..

But no bogu is the fun part. Any idiot can smack away to kingdom come with protection.

Comment

Some karate schools use the term to refer to their weapons practice. Shito-ryu comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                      Yes it is. There are many rju (schools/styles) of traditional ju-jutsu.

But there are also many fake jujustsu schools, which are in fact TV modified Judo wannabe-samurai clubs. It much like with Kenjutsu old schools, there are about 5 fake schools to 1 real :-) Real korju dojos are unfortunately hard to find outside Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Enfield
                        Yet another failed attempt at online sarcasm on my part.
                        D'oh! Doesn't work very well in typed form there mate.

Comment

What is kobudo?

Konnichi wa!hi every body!im reading zour posts on "what is kobudo" and to tell the truth i dont really agree with them...
                          i attend kobudo and have 4th kyu on it so i think i know what im talking about...
                          1.kobudo is okinawa defensive martial art.
                          2.it really means "the old way of fighting"
                          3.it uses many agricultural tools (in past okinawans shouldnt have any weapons at home)which now are very useful waepons, like tonfas, nunchaku, kamas,...
                          4.note that neither karate notju jutsu ARENT kobudo, even though they practice it on their trainings.
                          5.visit www.kobudo.szm.sk (my clubs page in slovak;funny pictures:-) or www.kobudokwai.sk (sensei peteres page )
                          6.saionara
                          Last edited by yuzuriha; 24th September 2004, 04:20 AM.

Comment

i know i got in some misunderstandings before for saying this... but WTF!?!

is this guy kidding?

kobudo is not a martial art, it is the type of martial art, refers to all 'old martial arts' it is not the name of an okinawan defensive art...

karate isnt kobudo but jujitsu IS!

kobudo kan... another mcdojo..

btw 4th kyu is nothing..

Comment

Originally posted by yuzuriha
                              Konnichi wa!hi every body!im reading zour posts on "what is kobudo" and to tell the truth i dont really agree with them...
                              i attend kobudo and have 4th kyu on it so i think i know what im talking about...
                              Try 4th dan and then someone will listen.

1.kobudo is okinawa defensive martial art.
                              2.it really means "the old way of fighting"
                              3.it uses many agricultural tools (in past okinawans shouldnt have any weapons at home)which now are very useful waepons, like tonfas, nunchaku, kamas,...
                              4.note that neither karate notju jutsu ARENT kobudo, even though they practice it on their trainings.
                              6.saionara
                              1. No, Kobudo is not ony a Japanese defensive martial art. In Japan, if we are regarding kobudo of Okinawa/Ryukyu origin, then it is termed "Ryukyu Kobudo" or "Ryukyu Kobujutsu". If kobudo comes from mainland Japan, then it's termed Nihon kobudo.

2. Yes, Kobudo basically means old martial way or art, but generally speaking, kobudo refers to Japanese and Ryukyuan schools whose origins date back to before the Meiji restoration.

3. Again it depends on where the kobudo comes from. If it's from the Ryukyu islands, then weapons like Rokushakubo, tuifa, eku, sai, tekko, Suruchin, kama and nunchaku are used in it's tradition. If it's from mainland Japan, then the weapons used are sword, yari, naginata, kusarigama, rokushakubo, jo, shuriken, jutte, tessen, honnawa, etc.

4. Karate and jujutsu can be kobudo, depending on what the particular origins of the school are.

5. Sayonara

Comment

Working...
                              X