X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yagyu

Yagyu Shinkage , Yagyu Shingan , Yagyu Ryu ?
    Whats what? What clan is it connected to? shimazu? how?

Originally posted by Ryan213
    They're all breeds of 野牛 cow.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin
      Hi Goaty-san,

They are not. What grass/other misc. scraps did you eat to come up with that?

Baaaaaaa!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan213
        Yagyu Shingan ryu is Jujutsu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu is Kenjutsu, Yagyu ryu is also Kenjutsu (I Believe). And their not related to the Shimazu Han. They are, collective, called the Yagyu Shinkage ryu Heiho. A school of military arts (Bugei, or Bujutsu) that was employed by the Tokugawa Shogunate to teach the Shogun.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanbanjin

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Go kobe beef!!

Comment

I second Taisaburo but i never heard about a Yagyu ryu of kenjutsu.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisham
              I second Taisaburo but i never heard about a Yagyu ryu of kenjutsu.
              Yagyu-Ryu is the base style for Yagyu Shinkage ryu, but that should be obivious...
              Peace and love.

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by Light Samurai
                Yagyu-Ryu is the base style for Yagyu Shinkage ryu, but that should be obivious...
                Peace and love.
                No, Shinkage ryu is the base for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.

http://www.koryu.com/guide/yagyushinkage.html

When people say Yagyu Ryu, they usually mean Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.

FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan
                  No, Shinkage ryu is the base for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.

http://www.koryu.com/guide/yagyushinkage.html

When people say Yagyu Ryu, they usually mean Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.

FWIW.
                  Ah, Okay. Sorry.

Comment

Ah, Okay. Sorry.
                    It happens

Thanks for the clarification about the "Yagyu ryu" DC.

Comment

Ah, Okay. Sorry.
                      Nothing to be sorry about!

Comment

To confuse matters only slightly, the style of the Shimazu family, rulers of Satsuma was/is Satsuma *Kage* no Ryu. How it connects with the Shin (new)Kage ryuha is not something I understand however. I think the long-sword style that Colin Watkin practices in Northern Kyushu is also called Kage Ryu.

b

Comment

Originally posted by ben
                          To confuse matters only slightly, the style of the Shimazu family, rulers of Satsuma was/is Satsuma *Kage* no Ryu. How it connects with the Shin (new)Kage ryuha is not something I understand however. I think the long-sword style that Colin Watkin practices in Northern Kyushu is also called Kage Ryu.

b
                          The father of Munenori, Yagyu Muneyoshi was the pupill of Kamiizumi Nobutsuna who's one of the legendary japanese swordsmen and the founder of the shinkage ryu, anyway Kage ryu's history dates back to before Nobutsuna since that's the style he studied, the thing is Mr Colin Hyakutake in this article talks about a Kage ryu which has no link to the Shinkage ryu, so i guess the word Kage was used in the name of many ryu which don't relate to eachother. I'd like to know if the Kage ryu that was thought to Nobutsuna is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Taisaburo
                            Yagyu Shingan ryu is Jujutsu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu is Kenjutsu, Yagyu ryu is also Kenjutsu (I Believe). And their not related to the Shimazu Han. They are, collective, called the Yagyu Shinkage ryu Heiho. A school of military arts (Bugei, or Bujutsu) that was employed by the Tokugawa Shogunate to teach the Shogun.
                            Shinkage-ryu is Shinkage-ryu.

Yagyu Shingan-ryu is Yagyu Shingan-ryu.

That's it, no collective.

Comment

Hello all,

Yagyu Shinkage and Yagyu Shingan really have almost no connection. I believe there was some meeting between the headmaster of the Shingan-ryu with Yagyu Jubei and added the name "Yagyu" to his style in honor of Jubei. Or something like that.

As far as lineage goes, it is my understanding that Kamiizumi Ise-no-kami Nobutsuna studied Katori Shinto-ryu and Kage-ryu (not Mr. Watkin's Kage-ryu, mind you), and formed the Shinkage-ryu. Several branches of Shinkage-ryu formed, including branches by his students Hikida and Jingo (sp?), but most famously was passed on to the Yagyu family (Muneyoshi and Munenori).

FROM THERE, Munenori was appointed as private fencing instructor to the shogunate, and Muneyoshi returned to Yagyumura and continued teaching. From here, YSR split into two seperate lineages: Munenori's (known as the EDO line: he felt he had made considerable change over his father's YSR), and Muneyoshi (known as the OWARI line).

Some controversy about this as the Edo line supposedly died out some time ago. But who knows.

Don't know too much about Yagyu Shingan-ryu, only enough that it isn't Yagyu SHINKAGE-ryu.

Oh, and Yagyu-ryu is just a misnomer or a shortening, I believe, for both of the above YSR's.

Regards,

-Alex Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X