• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu sohke in Europe

France, October 7th to 9th , 2005

Musashis sword school
    2nd Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu European Workshop with
    IWAMI Toshio sohke

The association "Lenfance de lArt" is pleased to announce an exceptional opportunity to study the art of the Japanese sword and double sword from one of the worlds leading experts IWAMI Toshio, headmaster of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. After the success of last years workshop, and experiencing the quality of more than 70 martial arts practitioners from 8 countries in Europe, he agreed to hold the annual European workshop in France once again.

Scheduled for October 7th to 9th , 2005, this 2nd Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu European Workshop will be conducted by IWAMI Toshio, 11th successor of MIYAMOTO Musashi, and his master assistants. Descendants of the Samurai widely recognized in Japan today, they represent a tradition which has been honoured and practiced for over 300 years. The masters desire to share their long-kept secrets with those who attend this workshop on the art and techniques of the Japanese sword.

The dojo is conveniently located 20mn by car from Paris, France, and Roissy Charles de InternationalAirport. It is also accessible from Paris by public transportation.

Maximum attendance for the workshop will be 100. We expect participants to have either a black belt level or 5 years experience. If you dont meet these requirements and wish to join, please contact me directly. No enrolment will be accepted on the workshop days, please enrol before.

A set of Niten bokken is compulsory; please contact me if you need to purchase one.

Additional information can be found at the website for this event: www.nitenryu.org or through nguyen@nitenryu.org

NGUYEN Thanh Thien

Date : October 7th, 8th and 9th 2005</H1>Location :
    Centre Culturel et Sportif, Gymnase Lionel Terray
    rue Pierre Salvi - 95350 Saint-Brice-sous-Fort

France
    Web : www.nitenryu.org

isnt much jodo and nito involved in musashi?

Comment

No Jodo. There are two-sword waza.

Comment

Looks like a sales advertisement

Originally posted by Kouen
        The masters desire to share their long-kept secrets with those who attend this workshop on the art and techniques of the Japanese sword.
        Long kept secrets??
        Cannot stop laugh reading it...

Comment

Now why be an arse about it?

That is just one person's way of advertising the seminar. If he wishes to advertise it as 'the finest sword art in the world', that's his business.

Mad_God, do you go out of your way to offend people? Has Kouen upset you?

Comment

I have to say I don't like some of the language in the announcement; it reads a bit too much commercial for me. But that's just a minor thing, really.

As far as long kept secret... Sure, it sounds silly. But consider that the art is 300 years old. Before the development of the dosokai worldwide under soke, which I think happened all in the last 5 years or so (probably more for the phillipines group), how many foreigners were exposed to the art through soke? I think there's a strong argument to be made that the teachings have long been kept restricted to a small group of people. Probably not out of a need for secrecy, no, but certainly kept close until very recently.

Again, not saying I like what they wrote, but it's not exactly false, either.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUK

That is just one person's way of advertising the seminar. If he wishes to advertise it as 'the finest sword art in the world', that's his business.

Hi Scott, did you expect anything else from our anonymous resident troll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Comment

Thanks for being honest in your oppinion

Originally posted by splice
                I have to say I don't like some of the language in the announcement; it reads a bit too much commercial for me. But that's just a minor thing, really.

As far as long kept secret... Sure, it sounds silly. But consider that the art is 300 years old. Before the development of the dosokai worldwide under soke, which I think happened all in the last 5 years or so (probably more for the phillipines group), how many foreigners were exposed to the art through soke? I think there's a strong argument to be made that the teachings have long been kept restricted to a small group of people. Probably not out of a need for secrecy, no, but certainly kept close until very recently.

Again, not saying I like what they wrote, but it's not exactly false, either.
                But without offense, looks like a macdojo's advertisement. I have seen many of them in suspicious dojos adverts...
                Yes, they should choose better words to describe such seminar. Especially if the public is experienced people in the swordsmanship...

Comment

Originally posted by Hyaku
                  Hi Scott, did you expect anything else from our anonymous resident troll.
                  You know, I did.

If there is some group out there pissing about and pretending to be something they clearly are not, then by all means take the issue up with them. However, this is a 3/400yr-old koryu.

If I don't like the itto-ryu, the jigen-ryu or the Shinkage-ryu, it's probably best that I keep my gob shut and not spout off at every opportunity. The history and the good-standing of any group like this should not be marred by those on the internet with a stick up their arse over one ryu or another.

Mad_God, keep your posts for genuine debate and not unsubstantiated cheap-shots.

Comment

It's just my oppinion

Besides, we already have discussed something related to Sales pitch homepage, that you said it was not.
                    Such "kept secret", or the "NIR to the world" (or something like that) is something similar I have seen in Sales adverts around the world.
                    But anyway, if that's what they are doing, that's fine. More people joining will help to pay the expenses. Business is business, in the end.
                    Good luck for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_god
                      Besides, we already have discussed something related to Sales pitch homepage, that you said it was not.
                      No, we discussed Hyaku's 'hyoho' page. The seminar above is being arranged by a guy in France who practices HNIR.

But anyway, if that's what they are doing, that's fine. More people joining will help to pay the expenses. Business is business, in the end.
                      Last year many people there had not practiced HNIR before, and the attendance was high. If they need X number of people, then who are we to question? If there is an issue with wording, be it false advertising or misrepresentation, I'm sure the ryu would deal with it accordingly.

Comment

You mean hyoho.com, the one you said is official site?

No, we discussed Hyaku's 'hyoho' page. The seminar above is being arranged by a guy in France who practices HNIR.

Last year many people there had not practiced HNIR before, and the attendance was high. If they need X number of people, then who are we to question? If there is an issue with wording, be it false advertising or misrepresentation, I'm sure the ryu would deal with it accordingly.
                        We discussed www.hyoho.com homepage, that you said it was not a Sales pitch, but from the misleaded information and interpretation in the topics of that homepage, it's exactly the opposite of what you are trying to believe.
                        Seems people there are interested to keep such misiterpretations in the net to, as you suggested, increase the number of people that can join the seminars...to complete some quotas.
                        Anyway, as I said, business is business, so they are doing it right... Just keep doing your business, just please don't tell me I am wrong.

Comment

Yeah dude. Whatever.

I just checked hyoho.com and looked for the online booking forms and the coupons for half-price introductory lessons. Can't say they jumped out at me. Even the dojo listing is not very obvious on there. Then again, if people can't find what they are looking for, maybe they're not persevering enough.

I will email Hyaku and ask him if, rather than earning the dozen or so coloured belts that he should introduce to match the gendai-status of HNIR, if he can just award me a mokuroku in the art. Hell no, let's have a renshi in odachi, kodachi, nito, jutte etc. I can be a multiple yudansha in seconds. All it takes is a couple of dodgy menjo and a credit card and whahey! I am a sokey.

However, maybe the ryu should stop at selling badges and/or bokken bags with their name on...

Comment

Yeah dude. Whatever.

I just checked hyoho.com and looked for the online booking forms and the coupons for half-price introductory lessons. Can't say they jumped out at me. Even the dojo listing is not very obvious on there. Then again, if people can't find what they are looking for, maybe they're not persevering enough.

I will email Hyaku and ask him if, rather than earning the dozen or so coloured belts that he should introduce to match the gendai-status of HNIR, if he can just award me a mokuroku in the art. Hell no, let's have a renshi in odachi, kodachi, nito, jutte etc. I can be a multiple yudansha in seconds. All it takes is a couple of dodgy menjo and a credit card and whahey! I am a sokey.

However, maybe the ryu should stop at selling badges and/or bokken bags with their name on...
                            Maybe we could go "really" commercial and adapt HNIR into Kendo. Now wouldn't that be fun? Kendo with a real koryu background? We could even have our own lineage sheet, write some books, put up a home page with video footage. We could even use "two" shinai and make up few kamae etc.... Oops. No. On second thoughts maybe its not such a good idea. People might really take the piss out of us and we would be forced to anonymously troll the forums to try and add some credibility to what we do.

But wait a minute. Didn't somebody already do that???? Damn, they beat me to it.

Ah I have a new commercial idea. I am taking bets that a "certain" person will definitely have to respond to this post. Think I will make any money Scott?

Comment

Nope. Odds are pretty crappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X