X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dojo in Miami?

Ehh, I suppose the title says it all. I've been trying to find one, but the closest thing I've found is a college budo club.

Frank Nieves
    Japan Cultural Center
    (Blue Gables Mall)
    7360 S.W. 24th Street (Coral Way)
    Miami, Florida 33155 USA
    Telephone: 305-666-9800
    Fax: 305-267-8907
    southfloridakendoclub@yahoo.com

Frank is young but a very good kendo player.
    Enjoy.

Comment

Ahh...Actually, I know first hand how good he is. I'm already a member of the SFKC, and Nieves-sensei is our instructor. What I'm looking for is a naginata dojo.
      Last edited by David; 1st June 2006, 09:54 PM.

Comment

oops, didn't catch the naginata part, sorry.

Comment

Ehh...Well, to be fair, I didn't say I was looking for a naginata dojo in the original post.

Comment

I believe it's a bit of drive from Miami, but there is a dojo in Tallahassee. Their contact info is on the scnf.org site.

Naginata dojos are few and far between. The other closest dojos are in the DC, NYC, and Boston areas.

Comment

a BIT of a drive? .....try the other end of the STATE.

Comment

Ahh...That's a little more than a bit of a drive. Well, I suppose it actually gives me a college to aim for though. Ah well. Thanks anyways, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by tango
                  a BIT of a drive? .....try the other end of the STATE.
                  At least those Eastern States are kinda little

Comment

Turns out that the Naginata Dojo is only called the Tallahassee, Florida Dojo. It's actually located in Monticello, Fl. This still doesn't help me, as I have no clue where the hell Monticello is, and when I entered the address into Map Quest, it said that it's about 470 miles away, and about seven hours worth of driving.

And why is it a member of the So Cal Federation?

Comment

Tallahassee visit

Hey, guys from Tallahassee will visit here in Tampa on June 17. You are welcome to visit us at that time. We are planning to practice Kendo but they will also bring their Naginata gear with them for demo. We will practice at USF Kendo dojo. Check out www.Kendousf.com

Comment

Ah, I think my sensei told us about that. That link seems broken, but is that the thing that IMAF is hosting? I want to go, but I'm not sure if I can make it. My financial situation at the moment isn't as such that I can just pick up and go.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                          Turns out that the Naginata Dojo is only called the Tallahassee, Florida Dojo. It's actually located in Monticello, Fl. This still doesn't help me, as I have no clue where the hell Monticello is, and when I entered the address into Map Quest, it said that it's about 470 miles away, and about seven hours worth of driving.

And why is it a member of the So Cal Federation?
                          The dojo is still under SoCal because Leslie Williams(the instructor of the Florida dojo) used to live in Southern California and was under the instruction of Nakano Sensei. However she moved to Talahassee. She still feels close with Nakano sensei which is why she still pays dues to SoCal.

Comment

I'd love to visit the dojo at least once. The only option I have is to see if maybe I can go to college near there.

EDIT: Ahh...Actually, before I make that type of comitment, are there any decent kendo dojo in that area? I'd hate to give up one for the other.
                            Last edited by David; 8th June 2006, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                              I'd love to visit the dojo at least once. The only option I have is to see if maybe I can go to college near there.

EDIT: Ahh...Actually, before I make that type of comitment, are there any decent kendo dojo in that area? I'd hate to give up one for the other.
                              Or, you could go to college out here on the West Coast. UC Berkeley would put you bicycling distance from Miyako Tanaka Sensei's dojo; San Jose State would put you right at Hazard Sensei's dojo; or UCLA, or Long Beach would put you by Nakano Sensei. Or just head north to school in NY and study with Yamauchi-Prough sensei

Comment

Working...
                              X