X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• origins of kata move

I am curious about the origin of the final movement in the 6th Shikake-oji kata, where we twist after recieving harai, prior to tsuki. In my limited experience, this seems unlike usual taisabaki found in Budo, and looks almost Chinese. Also, would this movement be possible in kimono?

thanks,

Ted

Originally posted by ted taylor
    I am curious about the origin of the final movement in the 6th Shikake-oji kata, where we twist after recieving harai, prior to tsuki. In my limited experience, this seems unlike usual taisabaki found in Budo, and looks almost Chinese. Also, would this movement be possible in kimono?
    Yeah! I know which move you are talking about and it's weird! I still need to work on keeping my balance and not twisting right off while doing it. I'm not sure about the origin of it myself. Possible in kimono? Most likely doable!
    Though I am probably not likely to wear a kimono to practice anytime soon so...

Comment

thanks,

Ted
      That is a really interesting question. I have now also been bit by the curiousity bug. I am going to ask my sensei on Thursday. I'll report back then. If they don't know, nobody knows. As far as kimono goes, I'd say most of the moves in atarashi naginata would close to impossible in a womans kimono, due to the wide stance that is taken. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that

Comment

As the naginata=women's budo is a pretty new idea, whether it can be done in kimono or not probably never came into it. There are a lot of Tendo-ryu moves similar to it, however, so I'd guess that's where the principle comes from.

Hamish

Originally posted by xvikingx
        That is a really interesting question. I have now also been bit by the curiousity bug. I am going to ask my sensei on Thursday. I'll report back then. If they don't know, nobody knows. As far as kimono goes, I'd say most of the moves in atarashi naginata would close to impossible in a womans kimono, due to the wide stance that is taken. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish
          As the naginata=women's budo is a pretty new idea, whether it can be done in kimono or not ...
          Yeah, unless you are into Yoshin-ryu Naginatajutsu

http://www.koryu.com/photos/yoshin.html

Comment

I am curious about the origin of the final movement in the 6th Shikake-oji kata, where we twist after recieving harai, prior to tsuki.
            That twist is taken from Tendo Ryu and certainly a valid budo movement. It might be hard to execute with sune-ate, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakob Ryngen
              .... It might be hard to execute with sune-ate, though...
              Not too hard. We do kata every once in a while at a higher speed than normal in full bogu. Helps to keep the movements fresh in our heads if we are doing more bogu training than kata.

Also I think it reminds you of the striking inherent in the kata and slows down the bad habit of not actually making a cut that would connect.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
                Not too hard. We do kata every once in a while at a higher speed than normal in full bogu. Helps to keep the movements fresh in our heads if we are doing more bogu training than kata.
                Good idea! One must remember not to do that special do-strike in shiai though

Comment

Working...
                X