X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendo vs Naginata

It was very nice to watch the kendo vs naginata matches at the last World Championships. But I keep forgetting what such a match is called in proper budo terms. Could anyone here help me out?

term

Originally posted by Jakob Ryngen
    It was very nice to watch the kendo vs naginata matches at the last World Championships. But I keep forgetting what such a match is called in proper budo terms. Could anyone here help me out?
    "Isshu Jiai."

Comment

Thank you! What does it mean and does the term only apply to naginata vs kendo?

Comment

Meaning and Use

Thank you! What does it mean and does the term only apply to naginata vs kendo?
        I have in my notes that Isshu Jiai means "mixed weapons contest" although I don't know if that is a strict translation per se.

It is commonly used in this case for contest between a Naginata-ka with a Shiai-style Naginata and a Kendo-ka with a Shinai with both in full Bogu (the Kendo-ka get to wear a pair of Sune-ate too). I have seen both Itto (single Shinai) and Nito (Daisho-style Shinai pair) Kendo used in this contest.

It is not used exclusively for Kendo vs. Naginata. In Meik Skoss' essay What is Tankendo?, he uses the term Isshu Jiai with respect to a contest between the Juken (the mock rifle with bayonet used in Jukendo) and the Tanken (the mock bayonet of Tankendo that looks like a Shoto-size Shinai). Meik also goes on to mention that there are Juken-Tachi Kata, which would imply the possibility of Jukendo vs. Kendo. In fact, on page 8 of Nito Ryu Narai Kata by Arazeki Nitosai, there is a photograph of Jukendo vs. Nito Kendo with both people in full Bogu.

HTH.
        Last edited by R A Sosnowski; 9th October 2003, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks again! Is there really a kata with juken vs nito? Sounds like an interesting but very unlikely situation.

Comment

clarification

Thanks again! Is there really a kata with juken vs nito? Sounds like an interesting but very unlikely situation.
            I believe that the Kata in Jukendo are Juken vs. Itto, which would follow from Imperial Army officers carrying Katana (Toyama Ryu Batto-jutsu as basic training); Jukendo was also a part of the curriculum taught at the Toyama Gakko.

However, the photo that I mentioned shows Jukendo vs. Nito Kendo. It is, as you say, a very unlikely situation.

Comment

Originally posted by R A Sosnowski
              "Isshu Jiai."
              Are you sure it's "isshu jiai"? I've heard "issho jiai," which would "a match together." I can't find an "isshu" that makes sense in this context.

Comment

The Kanji is 異種試合
                where the "i" means "different/strange", "shu" is "type/category".

AFAIK there was also Isshu Shiai of sword vs kusarigama

Comment

Small video clip (Kendo vs Naginata)

http://www.amk.esp.br/kendo/kendoArquivos.asp

look for:

Isshujiai Kyoto 2000 Kendo vs Naginata- 2,0 MB
                  At the end of the page.

(that's actually been taken from our site - see the Multimedia section of this site. - Hamish)

Comment

Wow thats a great site! Thanks for posting the link.

BC

Comment

Some more short videos

http://www.kendo.euweb.cz/text/texti...agkenvideo.htm

I must say, that doing Kendo against Naginata is so much fun :-)

Some pictures here

http://www.kendo.euweb.cz/text/texti...wa/index2.html

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                        AFAIK there was also Isshu Shiai of sword vs kusarigama
                        I've seen one on a qt file, I thik someone posted one up here in a thread a while back

Comment

Working...
                        X