Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naginata - Oahu Hawaii

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Naginata is still alive and running in Honolulu, Hawaii? I checked the website but it hasn't been really updated for a long term. Plus there is no contact etc or email.

Hopefully someone can help out.

Hi, KendoPadawan:

I did a bit of searching, and in addition to the Hawaii Naginata Federation website that only has an e-mail address posted for "site related issues" (you may want to try it anyway if you don't find a way to contact them), I found a 2002 article about Miura Sensei that was a very nice read (it seems Miura Sensei is the preeminent authority on Naginata in Hawaii). I also found an article on the Japan America Society of Hawaii website, which states that Miura Sensei and her Naginata students performed a demonstration at the Kenshikan Kendo Dojo in Honolulu, Hawaii, in 2010. If nobody here can help with a more precise way of providing you with contacts in the Hawaii Naginata community, you may want to contact the Kenshikan dojo in Honolulu, Hawaii. I think they'd be happy to help you.

Comment

Actually, the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii might be able to help you as well, you should try them first. You could try giving them a telephone call.

Oh wait, there is a contact for Naginata listed. Check this out.
      Last edited by Dervish; 20th February 2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll try contacting them as above, and will let you know how I go

Comment

Originally posted by KendoPadawan View Post
          Please keep posted, I for one am curious to know.

Comment

I know JCCH has a Naginata practice group, I saw them last year and it was a small group, maybe 3 students? They shared a class time with a Kendo group.

I believe one of our Kyudo students was taking Naginata with a group uhhh i think around Pali/Nuuanu?

Comment

Originally posted by KendoPadawan View Post
              From what I could find , they also have contact information and are still registered with the university of hawaii as a club on their website

Comment

Contact from HNF

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                From what I could find , they also have contact information and are still registered with the university of hawaii as a club on their website
                Hi-- I am a member of the Hawaii Naginata Federation. Since we are a registered club with the University of Hawaii, our schedule sometimes changes to accommodate regularly scheduled classes as well as UH activities. This semester, Spring 2012, we begin practice at 2:00 on Saturdays in Studio 3 of the Athletic Complex. We will not be having class on April 14 due to the Dalai Lama's presentation in the Stan Sherrif Center. For the remainder of the Spring semester, we should be meeting regularly at 2:00 PM. Our schedule has the potential to change 3 times during the year: Spring Semester, Summer Term, and Fall Semester. We have been, generally, very fortunate to secure a regular meeting time of 1:00 PM on Saturdays but anyone interested in coming down should try to contact us ahead of time since, as I pointed out before, our schedule may change due to University of Hawaii activities. I apologize that our website is very outdated, our webmaster moved off island many years ago and he has not yet been replaced. By the way, I am the father in the "father/son" picture at the bottom of the history page-- just to let you know how old the picture is, my son is about to turn 17! Time flys.

I am not very familiar with bulletin boards (I chanced upon your thread doing a naginata search) so I don't know the protocols for direct correspondence. I will check back in a few days if there is no mechanism to send me a direct message.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent View Post
                  Hi-- I am a member of the Hawaii Naginata Federation. Since we are a registered club with the University of Hawaii, our schedule sometimes changes to accommodate regularly scheduled classes as well as UH activities. This semester, Spring 2012, we begin practice at 2:00 on Saturdays in Studio 3 of the Athletic Complex. We will not be having class on April 14 due to the Dalai Lama's presentation in the Stan Sherrif Center. For the remainder of the Spring semester, we should be meeting regularly at 2:00 PM. Our schedule has the potential to change 3 times during the year: Spring Semester, Summer Term, and Fall Semester. We have been, generally, very fortunate to secure a regular meeting time of 1:00 PM on Saturdays but anyone interested in coming down should try to contact us ahead of time since, as I pointed out before, our schedule may change due to University of Hawaii activities. I apologize that our website is very outdated, our webmaster moved off island many years ago and he has not yet been replaced. By the way, I am the father in the "father/son" picture at the bottom of the history page-- just to let you know how old the picture is, my son is about to turn 17! Time flys.

I am not very familiar with bulletin boards (I chanced upon your thread doing a naginata search) so I don't know the protocols for direct correspondence. I will check back in a few days if there is no mechanism to send me a direct message.
                  If you click the first poster's name, you'll see a list of options come up. One of those is "Private Message", which is the best way to talk to any given user directly.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                    If you click the first poster's name, you'll see a list of options come up. One of those is "Private Message", which is the best way to talk to any given user directly.
                    Thank you.

Comment

As of 2013, the Hawaii Naginata Federation is no longer holding regular sessions at the University of Hawaii. We are currently dividing our time between two other locations. Interested parties should direct inquiries to:

hawaiinaginatafederation@gmail.com

I just set up that address, by the way, and it seems to be working. The ancient website we had up is apparently no longer available. Having a new website is not really a high priority at this point... we're kind of happy as we are.

For those who have not seen the old website, and may be interested, the Hawaii Naginata Federation is part of the Shutokukai, the Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata Jutsu organization in Japan. As far as we know, we are the only authorized dojo outside of Japan. our sensei has been teaching in Hawaii for over 40 years and the group's ties to Japan are quite strong. Do send a contact to the above address if you would like to observe a session-- we're pretty friendly.

Thank you.

Comment

Dang. I tried tracking you guys down a couple months ago when i was on Oahu, and even went the university around your old practice time to try to meet up. Now I'm not there any more.

Comment

Working...
                        X